Eventiel for FE8 Hackers?

TheKingBahamut

Hey,

So I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before, but...

I've been trying to get into the hacking business, and I've started doing my research by watching Ghast's tutorials. He recommends using Eventiel as a way to help newbie hackers learn how to event maps. However, to my knowledge, Eventiel is a FE7 program only, and I'm thinking of using FE8 as the basis of my hack.

Is there any program like Eventiel available for newbie FE8 hackers out there? Or would it be wiser to start learning using FE7 to learn and then transition to FE8 when I get more experience?

Really depends on what kind of hack your doing but i can point out a few things

Fe7 can handle pretty large maps without issues but (in nightmare atleast im not sure about using event editors) it is a bit complicated to edit maps if you dont want to start from scratch clearing data in the rom

Fe8 if your not using monsters you have a lot of room for unique classes if you want but it can have issues if you make a map either too big or too jampacked with stuff

Really depends on what kind of hack your doing but i can point out a few things

This question wasn't about differences between the games, but rather about a common event tool that lacks full functionality for FE8.

Fe7 can handle pretty large maps without issues but (in nightmare atleast im not sure about using event editors) it is a bit complicated to edit maps if you dont want to start from scratch clearing data in the rom

There's a bunch of misinformation here.

Here's a thread on map size. The discussion is rather short and not quite conclusive, but interesting nonetheless. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=66942&p=4579295

Second, Nightmare (and Nightmare 2) is a hex editor at its core. So is the Event Assembler. They have no effect over what the games can or cannot handle.

Next up, creating a map isn't complicated, nor are they hard to insert or use. You don't need to clear anything other than the pointers to the old map data (assuming you're using the default pointer table, which is very likely.), and you can put your edits in the vast sections of free space in both FE7 and 8. I don't know what you mean by starting from scratch.

Fe8 if your not using monsters you have a lot of room for unique classes if you want but it can have issues if you make a map either too big or too jampacked with stuff

Both FE7 and 8 have similar size restrictions, as far as I've looked into. What do you mean by the game having issues with packed maps?

This question wasn't about differences between the games, but rather about a common event tool that lacks full functionality for FE8.

There's a bunch of misinformation here.

Here's a thread on map size. The discussion is rather short and not quite conclusive, but interesting nonetheless. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=66942&p=4579295

Second, Nightmare (and Nightmare 2) is a hex editor at its core. So is the Event Assembler. They have no effect over what the games can or cannot handle.

Next up, creating a map isn't complicated, nor are they hard to insert or use. You don't need to clear anything other than the pointers to the old map data (assuming you're using the default pointer table, which is very likely.), and you can put your edits in the vast sections of free space in both FE7 and 8. I don't know what you mean by starting from scratch.

Both FE7 and 8 have similar size restrictions, as far as I've looked into. What do you mean by the game having issues with packed maps?

like i said ive never accually done a romhack i just mess around in nightmare 1 alot so i geuss i should clear up what i said so take what i say with a grain a salt

the size restrictions when its comes to classes i guess they are basically similer

the issues with packed maps well its kinda hard to describe but essentially the 3 gba games get worse performance (fe6 would be the best a good example in the vanilla game is probaly chapter 13 which is the size of a smaller fe4 map pretty much and fe8 being worst its kindive evident since really none of the maps in vanilla are that big pretty much cause it wasnt able to handle it or they just did smaller maps but anyway they get worse performend and the only really example is chapters 10-12 of staff of ages) if you where to jam pack them and hack in alot of features

the map creation okay im probaly incorrect since i use nightmare and well take for example chapter unit composition editors in fe7 there complicated as hell compaired to the other 2 games with all the difficultys and such not that a hack would use this stuff but its getting around this (altho i am aware you would use a event editor in another program over nightmare for this but still

like i said ive never accually done a romhack i just mess around in nightmare 1 alot so i geuss i should clear up what i said so take what i say with a grain a salt

...why are you offering advice if you have no idea what you're talking about

the size restrictions when its comes to classes i guess they are basically similer

there isn't actually a difference; there are one-button tools that can expand both class arrays to 255

the issues with packed maps well its kinda hard to describe but essentially the 3 gba games get worse performance (fe6 would be the best a good example in the vanilla game is probaly chapter 13 which is the size of a smaller fe4 map pretty much and fe8 being worst its kindive evident since really none of the maps in vanilla are that big pretty much cause it wasnt able to handle it or they just did smaller maps but anyway they get worse performend and the only really example is chapters 10-12 of staff of ages) if you where to jam pack them and hack in alot of features

there is exactly one map in fe6 that is larger than what fe7 and fe8 can handle

the map creation okay im probaly incorrect since i use nightmare and well take for example chapter unit composition editors in fe7 there complicated as hell compaired to the other 2 games with all the difficultys and such not that a hack would use this stuff but its getting around this (altho i am aware you would use a event editor in another program over nightmare for this but still

the individual entries in the fe7 chapter unit editor have nothing to do with the two difficulties - all the changes is that there are more units available to edit in fe7 maps. it's actually the fe8 chapter unit editors that are more complicated due to fe8 fundamentally changing the way the event engine works

this is all irrelevant anyway, because the moment you start making full custom maps (as one would with eventiel), the chapter unit editor modules become completely useless