Should Battle Saves Be Included In Classic?

Jotari

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should Battle Saves Be Available In Classic?

• Of course. It's a Classic Feature, it should be in Classic.
    • No way. It's a crutch and crutches are bad.
    • Yes, but only on the easier difficulties, like in Radiant Dawn.
    • If it worked as a feature of the map like in Shadow Dragon, that'd be nice.
    • It should be a third option when starting the file alongside Classic/Casual and Difficulty
    • Yes, but only because I want Holy War's massive maps to return.
    • Give the player the option to save every 5 turns ensuring limited control.
    • A finite number of saves per map useable at the player's discretion.

The 5 turns thing sounds easily abusable with bad map design to me. For instance if there are a lot of aggro enemies that don't advance on you on beyond certain turns it kind of defeats the point entirely.

The 5 turns thing sounds easily abusable with bad map design to me. For instance if there are a lot of aggro enemies that don't advance on you on beyond certain turns it kind of defeats the point entirely.

Any form of mid-battle saving is going to be abusable in one way or another.

Tbf, battle saves are easily abuseable regardless with bad map design

I mean yeah this is true but the idea is to limit how abusable it is. I don't have a problem with every 5 turns if the maps actually require you to keep moving and whatnot until you get to the boss. But if you constantly have to aggro enemies why not just make it every 1 turn? It's essentially the same. Suddenly it doens't sound as good ((I'm assuming anyway. It doesn't to me)).

This is true but it's not like I'm arguing for bad map design here hahaha. I'm just saying it's something that'd have to be kept in mind if the 5 turn battle saves ever gets implemented.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by eclipse, December 15, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, December 15, 2016 - No reason given

I mean yeah this is true but the idea is to limit how abusable it is. I don't have a problem with every 5 turns if the maps actually require you to keep moving and whatnot until you get to the boss. But if you constantly have to aggro enemies why not just make it every 1 turn? It's essentially the same. Suddenly it doens't sound as good ((I'm assuming anyway. It doesn't to me)).

This is true but it's not like I'm advocating for bad map design here hahaha. I'm just saying it's something that'd have to be kept in mind if the 5 turn battle saves ever gets implemented.

Edited by Alolan Darros

I say just give the player 2 saves per chapter that they can use at any time. The biggest annoyance for me when it comes to resets is the "set-up phase" of each map, those first several turns where your movements don't change.

To parrot what I said earlier, I don't really see how that's an issue. If someone wants to burn through turns to get to a save then let them. It'll negatively effect their rank if they care about that. While players that do care about it won't waste turns just to save. It really keeps the option open to both types of players. That being said I think there should be tangible in game rewards for playing a chapter at a steady pace, like Radiant Dawn's extra bonus exp if you complete most chapters within ten turns. In fact for a long time now I've wanted to see a character who is recruitable based on your total number of turns in the game thus far. I think that could be an interesting goal players have to work towards.

Depends, if Genealogy had it I'd like it a lot more than I do.

I'm not sure I get this post. Are you under the impression that Holy War didn't have Battle Saves? Because it did. Or are you saying you'd only like Battle Saves if it was like Holy War?

I've added a finite number of saves per map to the poll.

Edited by Jotari

Add TRS save staff. Done.

Ideally make it have less uses though. Saves as an expendable long term resource adds to strategy.

Edited by Irysa

Battle saves are good and should return in some form. I don't really mind exactly what that form is. I like a lot of the suggestions in this thread. The DS games already had a pretty good way, but I wouldn't mind if they were tied to map progression or you just had 1-3 per map, etc.

Personally I don't find the abuse potential that bothersome; it's a single-player game, and from my perspective a reset is a reset, so needing to save-scum until you dodge is pretty much admitting you did the map badly. The RNG abuse for stats is a bit more egregious (though absolutely exists with or without battle saves, especially with bonus exp) but I've long felt that all the games should do what Fates Lunatic does and roll levels out in advance.