Really Fast Turn Around

1 hour ago, henrymidfields said:

I can totally see how translating between English/Japanese would be difficult. I've done a bit of that when I was quoting original Japanese and translating them into English for my final Master's paper on Tokyo Station, and that is easier said than done.

What is much less understandable is why it takes much longer to get a UK/Australian release. Most, if not all, of the TV stuff we get in Australia are the very same thing as in the UK/US, and I'd be very surprised if the same thing wasn't the case between American TV shows aired in the UK, or vice versa. Even if there are different censorship laws, licensing issues, etc, can't the paperwork of that sort be worked on simutaneously?

Related to this, why do PAL region have to have the various European language release at one single date, and why does that seem to have an "all European languages or no export at all" approach? Apart from personal preferences/bias, is there a thing against release dates in order of, say, Japanese (the original language for FE games) -> English (US/UK/Australia/New Zealand etc) -> Spanish (Europe/South America), French (Europe/Canada) -> German/Italian? (I say this, as I think we all know that French/Spanish are also relatively widely understood/spoken.) Accuse me of being Anglo-centric, and yes, ideally Nintendo (or any other game company) should aim for a full European release of all five languages. But surely an PAL version with only the three more widely spoken languages is still better than no European localisation whatsoever, no?

Nonetheless, I'm glad that FE is now a major IP, and it is finally getting the recognition we (at least for Serenes Forest members) were hoping for.

It seems like it is simultaneous. At present anyway. There were differences between the US and UK directs, but the release date wasn't one of them, so I'd be optimistic that it's the same date for both.

Don't forget official translations require a lot of testing and also stuff like production and publicity. It's not like fan translations where you can translate it all, check it over a few days and hey presto it's in the wild!

Nintendo needs to let game stores know about the game, distribute the game, organise reviews, etc. All while trying to keep their overall release schedule as streamlined as possible. So nothing like 10 games all releasing in the same month or something.

Anyway, honestly, I figured Japan was overdue for a new FE. They do tend to have one every 2-3 years.

4 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Don't forget official translations require a lot of testing and also stuff like production and publicity. It's not like fan translations where you can translate it all, check it over a few days and hey presto it's in the wild!

Nintendo needs to let game stores know about the game, distribute the game, organise reviews, etc. All while trying to keep their overall release schedule as streamlined as possible. So nothing like 10 games all releasing in the same month or something.

Anyway, honestly, I figured Japan was overdue for a new FE. They do tend to have one every 2-3 years.

That's sort of strange to think about. The gap between Fates and Shadows of Valentia is less than a year in Europe.Fates still seems so new in my mind.

Edited by Jotari

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That's sort of strange to think about. The gap between Fates and Shadows of Valentia is less than a year in Europe.Fates still seems so new in my mind.

Yeah, that's the only strange part for me. Maybe they're treating FE as a higher priority franchise?

Plus it's possible Echoes doesn't have a huge script like Fates or Awakening, since it's a remake.

4 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Yeah, that's the only strange part for me. Maybe they're treating FE as a higher priority franchise?

Plus it's possible Echoes doesn't have a huge script like Fates or Awakening, since it's a remake.

The hole in that arguement is Gaiden's story was prettymuch rewritten and fleshed out. Plus Support Convos. And so on.

I'm assuming the translation team was working on the script as the game was being put together. Hopefully more on this will be revealed either close to the game's U.S. release or shortly afterward.

1 minute ago, Aurabolt said:

The hole in that arguement is Gaiden's story was prettymuch rewritten and fleshed out. Plus Support Convos. And so on.

I'm assuming the translation team was working on the script as the game was being put together. Hopefully more on this will be revealed either close to the game's U.S. release or shortly afterward.

I still doubt it's going to be half as long as Fates. Remember Fates had three full story campaigns in addition to a metric tonne of supports. I doubt it'll even be as long as Awakening. I mean it's probably too early to really say but Awakening was quite a wordy game with all the paralogues and bonus stuff they had in.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

I actually don't reckon that's the case. Not only do they have all the ground work done for the coding but they also have everyone done for the design of the game. In terms of story and aesthetic, little to no preproduction is needed where people have to work on designing a concept, submitting it only for it to be turned down or something major needs to be changed and rebuilt. Designs would of course still be over hauled and need to be tweaked but no work needs to actually go into deciding what they're actually making. The work is only about compiling things and balancing gameplay. If we're getting new maps then that'll cost a bit of time to design but it seems they are keeping at least some of the same maps. Don't want to imply it's a cakewalk but still, with the bulk of the coding and concept designs already done, it would be significantly easier to make than a typical game.

What I meant to say is it's about as hard as making a new game that shares that engine. Obviously this is nowhere near as hard as building a new game on a new engine. There was probably a bit of a shorter planning phase, but it was still pretty long they have to consider a lot of things how much do they want to change, how much they want to make that is new. They have to redesign all the characters and get Gaidens game play systems working in the fates engine. So yes because concerts and design can be reused this is easier than making a new game on the same engine it's not terribly so most of the hard work still must be done.

Edited by Locke087

10 minutes ago, Locke087 said:

What I meant to say is it's about as hard as making a new game that shares that engine. Obviously this is nowhere near as hard as building a new game on a new engine. There was probably a bit of a shorter planning phase, but it was still pretty long they have to consider a lot of things how much do they want to change, how much they want to make that is new. They have to redesign all the characters and get Gaidens game play systems working in the fates engine. So yes because concerts and design can be reused this is easier than making a new game on the same engine it's not terribly so most of the hard work still must be done.

I understood what you meant. I still think it's significantly easier to make than something like Fates (even if it was just one campaign) or Sacred Stones. They have to redesign a lot of things but having a clear design specification to begin with is a massive boon.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I understood what you meant. I still think it's significantly easier to make than something like Fates (even if it was just one campaign) or Sacred Stones. They have to redesign a lot of things but having a clear design specification to begin with is a massive boon.

I think you're overestimating how much the planning phase is actually costs in time and money. People seem to underestimate how much time and money these type of remakes actually take, it's why we don't see too many of these type of things. Watch from minute 4 of this you'll see that the budget for these things really is about the same.

Yes it's semi easier but realistically these things are expensive when none of the old games code can be used  which is the case for Gaiden. I did not denying that making a new game is harder but we shouldn't dismiss remakes of really old games as quick and dirty jobs, developers poor a lot of time energy and resources to preserving these types of games. 

5 minutes ago, Locke087 said:
I think you're overestimating how much the planning phase is actually costs in time and money. People seem to underestimate how much time and money these type of remakes actually take, it's why we don't see too many of these type of things. Watch from minute 4 of this you'll see that the budget for these things really is about the same.

Yes it's semi easier but realistically these things are expensive when none of the old games code can be used  which is the case for Gaiden. I did not denying that making a new game is harder but we shouldn't dismiss remakes of really old games as quick and dirty jobs, developers poor a lot of time energy and resources to preserving these types of games. 

Oh I know. Like I said before, it's significantly easier but it's not a cakewalk. Making anything of this scope takes an immense amount of effort from a lot of people. I didn't want to imply it was something they could pull out of their ass in a month. But it is a magnitude of difficulty less than creating an entirely original content.

The biggest thing this leaves me wondering is about support conversations, which I imagine take up a huge chunk of the translation. Does this indicate that there may not be an avatar?

Without an avatar (who can support every single other character), I imagine that the support conversation scripts get a lot simpler. Also, if there are no children, that cuts another large chunk out. Even though all the father/child conversations in awakening were more or less identical, there were subtle differences to account for each character (Donnel's accent, for example).

Of course, if there are NO support conversations, you're looking at a VERY short script. But I can't imagine that after Radiant Dawn and Shadow Dragon they'd take a risk like that. Those are the two lowest scoring games, and I imagine the sales reflect that.

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:16 AM, Dayni said:

It seems like it is simultaneous. At present anyway. There were differences between the US and UK directs, but the release date wasn't one of them, so I'd be optimistic that it's the same date for both.

Sorry for the late response. My previous post was about more general and more pessimistic cases where a Euro-Australian release happens 12+ months after USA/Japan, or even worse, none at all. This specific case (FE Gaiden remake) is perfectly fine, I think. Of course, a worldwide (near-)simultaneous release like Pokémon XY onwards would be ideal.