Attack animations

Why do they look so fluid?

I think it has something to do with the gaps between you and the enemy hitting are much smaller. Rewatch the trailer bit where Alm attacks a spear-using enemy, and you'll note that Alm counters right after he dodges with no pause in animation, as it's one fluid motion. You can see a similar thing later where Alm (wielding the Levin Sword) parries an attack and retaliates immediately, and our red-haired one-eyed mercenary dodges an arrow by flipping and immediately uses the momentum to attack the archer.

One guess is that they removed the "setup" animations.

For example, in Fates and Awakening some characters (animations based of classes for the most part) jumped backwards or did a small animation before they actually went in for the attack.

Here it looks like characters just attack and counter. Which does make it look very nice.

However, we need to see more gameplay of this game to decide if this is what happened.

15 hours ago, Corrobin said:

Why do they look so fluid?

I think it has something to do with the gaps between you and the enemy hitting are much smaller. Rewatch the trailer bit where Alm attacks a spear-using enemy, and you'll note that Alm counters right after he dodges with no pause in animation, as it's one fluid motion. You can see a similar thing later where Alm (wielding the Levin Sword) parries an attack and retaliates immediately, and our red-haired one-eyed mercenary dodges an arrow by flipping and immediately uses the momentum to attack the archer.

A few reasons. First off, the rigs are getting better. The ones they used in awakening were awful. The characters didn't even have feet!! And even among the joints that were there, many were too stiff, or didn't move right.

Compare that with fates, which is much cleaner, and more natural.

Also, the animators themselves are improving, and they're being given a lot more time. Each character in Fates was given their own unique set of animations, rather than having them be purely determined by class, like they were in awakening. This also means that there're less issues in scaling the default animations, like you had on some of the more complex awakening ones.

Yeah, but also because the gaps between animations are smaller so it looks like a fight that could happen. Let me break down Alm's first fight in the trailer.

1. Alm runs up to the soldier with his sword in hand. The soldier readies his spear.

2. Alm performs a basic horizontal slash.

3. The soldier counters with a butt of the flat end of the spear, which Alm dodges by backflip/rolling.

4. Immediately after that, Alm performs a vertical slash.

All of that in five seconds.

3 hours ago, Corrobin said:

Yeah, but also because the gaps between animations are smaller so it looks like a fight that could happen. Let me break down Alm's first fight in the trailer.

1. Alm runs up to the soldier with his sword in hand. The soldier readies his spear.

2. Alm performs a basic horizontal slash.

3. The soldier counters with a butt of the flat end of the spear, which Alm dodges by backflip/rolling.

4. Immediately after that, Alm performs a vertical slash.

All of that in five seconds.

Seems more like appropriate responses and something that would actually happen in battle. Countering with the back end of the spear rather than the front would be faster for someone right in front of you, and Alm's counter attack was right after the dodge. 

I also liked the running up, I hope that was something that they are doing when you move to attack, to make it seem more natural. Rather than coming into the fight and both are just standing there.

On 1/19/2017 at 8:47 AM, Lord_Grima said:

One guess is that they removed the "setup" animations.

For example, in Fates and Awakening some characters (animations based of classes for the most part) jumped backwards or did a small animation before they actually went in for the attack.

Here it looks like characters just attack and counter. Which does make it look very nice.

However, we need to see more gameplay of this game to decide if this is what happened.

i hadn't even thought about the change in the animations, but they do look good. i agree that the absence of the little start animation would make things much more dynamic and a better transition from the map movement, but in the case of the trailer i think that was just due to editing (there's no sound effect and visual transition to the battle). we'll have to see if they actually still include start animations or not.

Edited by geozeldadude