do you think people who are not FE-obsessed fans will buy this game?

I still think it well sell since I know people who aren't really big fans of FE but are interested in Echoes simply for the more RPG aspects like dungeon crawling 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a word: Absolutely.

There's a major, major drought of good SRPGs coming out. Fire Emblem is the only steady series that I'm aware of that has anything coming out in the next year or so.

There just aren't that many companies making turn based strategy these days, and many of them that are coming out are super obscure, like Tears to Tiara or Stella Glow.

It's definitely possible. My first FE game was SD, and I didn't know a thing about FE prior to playing it.

I personally think it will be fewer than Fates or Awakening though, just because it seems geared more towards series veterans. But if it turns out to be a great game in its own right, people will certainly buy.

Edited by Fly_or_Die

The game have weapons to defend itself (good  story, artwork, mechanics) and its different enough of traditional fire emblem structure to appeal to not fe-fans, but at the same time that factors could being reason to generate media backlash (like "this is no fire emblem", "they put the name just to sell it", "where are the children?" or even "where are the conectivity features?" things like that) but that's a worst case scenario. Hope information raise soon to have a better view of shadows of valentia, but for now i'm going 50-50 

Yes, I absolutely do think that people that aren't obsessed with Fire Emblem will pick up Shadows of Valentia. In fact, I also predict that the success of the game will hinge on them, rather than the Fire Emblem veterans. After all when the series had to rely on veterans, it nearly got canned.

I think lots of people will buy the game fresh without being invested in the series. I know lots of people who played the majora/ocarina of time 3DS games without ever playing the n64 originals. As for the problem of awakening/fates/valentia all being within the life cycle of the same system.... I don't think that'll be a problem at all. I mean I know some people who can obsess over doing things in order, but I think market wise, that's never stopped someone from attended the third part of a blockbuster movie trilogy first if that's the one that's coming out when they first encounter the advertising. Plus it's not like stuff like pokemon or Fifa have ever interfered with their own sales by having a "glut".

On 2/3/2017 at 5:05 AM, pinguyFrank said:

The game have weapons to defend itself (good  story, artwork, mechanics) and its different enough of traditional fire emblem structure to appeal to not fe-fans, but at the same time that factors could being reason to generate media backlash (like "this is no fire emblem", "they put the name just to sell it", "where are the children?" or even "where are the conectivity features?" things like that) but that's a worst case scenario. Hope information raise soon to have a better view of shadows of valentia, but for now i'm going 50-50 

I read that and think 'that is completely stupid', yet know this exact situation is far too likely. There was a review of Conquest that complained about the lack of between-chapter grinding and the game's difficulty when doing a challenge run.

...My prediction will be at least one reviewer will make this complaint. Hopefully there will be a reviewer that does not, and the buyers using the reviews as a tool to be informed will recognise the backlash the former will create in the comments section, and be directed to the latter.

Fire Emblem Heroes will no doubt introduce the Valentian cast to inform casual players of the new game coming up and to build hype among more hard core fans. While it is a remake and that alone may hurt it a bit, the playerbase is there and Pokémon Go allegedly led to Sun and Moon's astounding success (well, that and good marketing and the fact that it's a quality title), and Fire Emblem Heroes might have a similar effect even if it's not the same phenomenon, so I'm sure it'll do well.

It all depends on how much nintendo advertises the game honestly. They have the power to make this even the best selling fire emblem of all time (besides maybe heroes) but if they barely advertise it it'll sell like absolute trash which would be a massive shame.

Edited by Dinar87

5 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

I read that and think 'that is completely stupid', yet know this exact situation is far too likely. There was a review of Conquest that complained about the lack of between-chapter grinding and the game's difficulty when doing a challenge run.

...My prediction will be at least one reviewer will make this complaint. Hopefully there will be a reviewer that does not, and the buyers using the reviews as a tool to be informed will recognise the backlash the former will create in the comments section, and be directed to the latter.

*oughcoughPolygoncoughcough*

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 7:08 AM, Slumber said:

*oughcoughPolygoncoughcough*

Polygon is one thing I'm concerned about when it comes to reviews, but the other thing is IGN. They are notorious for their insanely bad reviews, and they are also know for being merciless towards remakes (poor Pokémon ORAS). However, they need to be careful, cause if they do another ORAS they are in for a sure downfall. >:)

10 hours ago, LionBlade said:

Polygon is one thing I'm concerned about when it comes to reviews, but the other thing is IGN. They are notorious for their insanely bad reviews, and they are also know for being merciless towards remakes (poor Pokémon ORAS). However, they need to be careful, cause if they do another ORAS they are in for a sure downfall. >:)

Hey, in their defense, the complaints IGN had against ORAS were the same complaints that caused RSE to get middling scores(For a Pokemon game) 15 years ago. They got mocked by the "too much water" footnote, but that's a genuine complaint against the Hoenn region, no matter if it's the third or sixth gen version.

IGN still sucks, though.

6 minutes ago, pinguyFrank said:

so people after seeing the new screens of Shadows of Valentia. have your position of the general reception of the game have changed?

I'm even more convinced that newer fans could give it a shot. The game looks gorgeous in almost every aspect for now. It also depends on how much they will show to us before the game releases.

My prediction has been this entire time that the success of Echoes will hinge on these kinds of people. After all, when FE only sold to Fire Emblem obsessed people, it nearly got canned. However, seeing Shadows of Valentia, I'm confident that IF Nintendo decides to advertise the game like... at all... it will become a great selling FE game.

Since in the past, there are people who like to argue this point with me. Have some proof.

Edited by SSJ4 Xelon

I think quite a few people that have only played Heroes will have SoV be their first FE. And frankly I don't think that's a bad thing, since it combines the charm and sensibility (so er basically when FE couldn't be mistaken by people outside the fandom for a H dating sim thanks to Fates' infamous side features and armour designs) of the old games with modern UI and modes. 

Frankly I'm going to persuade some friends to get into FE with this game. It's a standalone story as well so pretty much perfect to jump in with no previous series knowledge. 

And the announcement of this game actually helped pull me back into FE obsession :P.  

At first I would of Thought yes, but after some of these screenshots, I am beginning to question it.

Valentia is looking TOO faithful to Gaiden. I am sorry, but HP cost for spells is a really dumb idea. For certain spells, all over it, But every single spell? That won't go over too well. Don't care if it's only 1 HP, it is still a sorry lazy excuse for not using an MP system. 

The terrain effects are stupidly high, just like the original. That is another dumb idea.

The map designs are still extremely similar, outside of a couple of rocks. Ooh, so different! At this rate Awakening will have better maps. Because it has better maps than Gaiden.

One of the few things I am looking forward to is dungeon delving, but at is point I am half expecting a copy and paste of Gaiden there too. 

IF this game is a copy and paste of Gaiden, then no it will not go over well. It's ideas are to archaic and broken to really be implemented without changes, and the way it is looking they aren't changing. 

Are they going to buy it? Probably, but it doesn't mean it will be regarded well in any way. I really hope what I am seeing is not resulting in a copy and paste of Gaiden, because it will not work. 

Edited by Tolvir

1 hour ago, Tolvir said:

At first I would of Thought yes, but after some of these screenshots, I am beginning to question it.

Valentia is looking TOO faithful to Gaiden. I am sorry, but HP cost for spells is a really dumb idea. For certain spells, all over it, But every single spell? That won't go over too well. Don't care if it's only 1 HP, it is still a sorry lazy excuse for not using an MP system. 

The terrain effects are stupidly high, just like the original. That is another dumb idea.

The map designs are still extremely similar, outside of a couple of rocks. Ooh, so different! At this rate Awakening will have better maps. Because it has better maps than Gaiden.

i don't have a problem with HP for spells, b/c i think that's one of the unique things about the game, but i agree that reproducing all the maps exactly as in the originals is a definite downside since they really lack variety. i hope at least that they don't keep the hit rates the same, b/c watching unit after unit miss their attacks gets really, really boring.

My train of through is rapidly becoming just: Buy it in the hopes that Fe6, 7, and 8 will be made, and hope the story is decent enough for me to be able to finish it. 

If supports are confirmed out, I may revise that idea, though. If that's out, the probability that this is popular enough for future remakes drops SEVERELY.

I don't really care if other people don't buy this game. I've never bought into the whole 'brand loyalty' concept. If it appeals to me, I'll buy it. If it doesn't, too bad, they won't get my money. I'm liking how Shadows of Valentia is shaping to be like. I'm glad they're sticking close to the original and not bringing back so many mechanics from the other 2 3DS games that I hate. If I have to choose between a game that appeals to me (but does so at the cost of alienating the newer parts of the fanbase, causing the game to suffer or even fail in sales and likely result in trouble for the series) and a game that appeals to the newer parts of the fanbase (by making a game that is closer to the super popular 3DS games and ensuring continued success for the series), I'd choose the former everytime. I don't care if others don't like FE15 as I'm loving what I'm seeing and ultimately, for me, that's all that matters. Call me selfish if you wish.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

2 minutes ago, Ranger Jack Walker said:

I don't care if others don't like FE15 as I'm loving what I'm seeing and ultimately, for me, that's all that matters. Call me selfish if you wish.

I would like to "Echo" this sentiment.

I never thought that they could make an FE that would compete with Binding Blade for my favorite, but here we are! SoV looks incredible. Original Gaiden was polarizing, and I have no doubts that this entry will be as well.

But, if I love it, why would I care if everyone else hates it?

Spoiler

I don't

If it means anything, I've only ever played "Fates", but I still have every intention of picking this one up. Then again, I was obsessed enough with Fates to sink more than 200 hours, soooooo yeah... xD

As someone who isn't really an "FE-obsessed fan" myself, I can safely say I am hyped for Echoes. Doesn't matter to me that I never even played Gaiden, or even know that much about it; I just like that we're getting a game that looks like it'll be fun to play. I have a few friends in the same situation that say they are, without a doubt, going to pick this one up, too. Yeah, I think this game's sales are safe. (At least, I hope so)