Challenge run with multiple of the same character?

Moonkis

I have seen some posts about it every now and then, where people make "challenge runs" with multiples of the same character, such as an all Mozu run, where the entire rooster consists of only Mozu's, that the community then get's to decide what class they should be.

My question is, how is this achievable? I have fiddled a bit with save-editing, but I'm unsure how to get several copies of the same character. I figured I might as well post here and ask, and hope that someone knows, preferably as early as possible in the game.

I wanted to do this with Rhajat based on her line with her Caeldori support about an 'army of Rhajats' lol. 

As for achievability, I would assume you get them from someone else's My Castle?

You can do this without online services using multiple files, the Einherjar shop, and the Unit Logbook. However, for characters who join and gain experience before Branch of Fate (such as the avatar), you'll need to start from New Game (so from Prologue, not Ch. 6).

Apparently you can do this with FETwiddler, using export and then importing the unit a bunch. Now the question becomes, how to make said unit be able to re-class into anything. I guess just setting a class for the unit in Twiddler? In anycase, this seems like easy way to do it, instead of replaying the game a ton of times. Hopefully this thread can aid someone in the future, that is equally confused by the process.

I'll add the steps here, let's say I want to make an Odin only run:

• Start a new game (not branch of fates, but you can if you really want to).
  • Once you get Odin, complete the chapter (without using him if you want him at level 1 untouched) and then save.
  • Export the save with a save manager (SVDT is my choice) and transfer the save (It's called ChapterX, where X is a number equal to the slot) to your PC.
  • Open it in FETwiddler
  • Export the unit (this is under Unit tab).
  • Do this for ALL the units you want, the pro of this is that you only have to do it once for each unit, and if owning both routes you can import them into other routes than what they are intended for, which is neat.
  • Once you have all the units you want (in my case Odin).
  • Start a new game (this is going to be the challenge run, you can use the same save as above if you want to but I want to start the challenge as soon as possible.).
  • Export the save, transfer to PC.
  • Open FETwiddler, import the units you want and then mark the other ones you aren't going to use as dead or w/e to remove them from the game.
  • Once you imported your desired amount of units (in my case 16 Odin's).
  • Edit them to their base-classes you want to they can re-class later into different classes.
  • Import the saved file.
  • ????
  • Enjoy
Edited by Moonkis

On 1/23/2017 at 1:51 PM, Moonkis said:

Apparently you can do this with FETwiddler, using export and then importing the unit a bunch. Now the question becomes, how to make said unit be able to re-class into anything. I guess just setting a class for the unit in Twiddler? In anycase, this seems like easy way to do it, instead of replaying the game a ton of times. Hopefully this thread can aid someone in the future, that is equally confused by the process.

I'll add the steps here, let's say I want to make an Odin only run:

• Start a new game (not branch of fates, but you can if you really want to).
  • Once you get Odin, complete the chapter (without using him if you want him at level 1 untouched) and then save.
  • Export the save with a save manager (SVDT is my choice) and transfer the save (It's called ChapterX, where X is a number equal to the slot) to your PC.
  • Open it in FETwiddler
  • Export the unit (this is under Unit tab).
  • Do this for ALL the units you want, the pro of this is that you only have to do it once for each unit, and if owning both routes you can import them into other routes than what they are intended for, which is neat.
  • Once you have all the units you want (in my case Odin).
  • Start a new game (this is going to be the challenge run, you can use the same save as above if you want to but I want to start the challenge as soon as possible.).
  • Export the save, transfer to PC.
  • Open FETwiddler, import the units you want and then mark the other ones you aren't going to use as dead or w/e to remove them from the game.
  • Once you imported your desired amount of units (in my case 16 Odin's).
  • Edit them to their base-classes you want to they can re-class later into different classes.
  • Import the saved file.
  • ????
  • Enjoy

Does this method work with the new 3DSes where you can't (without a great deal of difficulty) take out the internal SD card?

And how, if at all, does this affect child units' growths/hair color/etc? Is it possible to get child units with multiple different hair colors still?

14 hours ago, BANRYU said:

Does this method work with the new 3DSes where you can't (without a great deal of difficulty) take out the internal SD card?

And how, if at all, does this affect child units' growths/hair color/etc? Is it possible to get child units with multiple different hair colors still?

Yes, I did this with first with my N3DS. You will have to insert/remove it at least once, but it's pretty easy. Homebrew of course required. Use a something like FTP (FTPD is pretty good) from your homebrew and connect to your 3DS via something like Filezilla on your PC. You can now, browse, move and add and delete stuff on your 3DS from your computer without removing the SD-card. You can of course transfer between the SD-card and your computer.

So you basically dump the savefile, connect via FTP, take the files you need from the 3DS onto your computer, edit the save (back it up before?) and transfer it back. Reimport the savefile from your 3DS with SVDT or another savemanager.

Edited by Moonkis