Frederick

MeddlingMage

Is it a good idea to second seal Frederick early on in the game, just so that he won't be lackluster in the game later?  I either want to second seal him into a knight or back into cavalier until level 10 and then master seal him back into a Great Knight.  I will be using Frederick because he is Cynthia's father.

If you aren't very far yet, he's a good candidate for the 2nd seal. I would get Luna before reclassing him.

I dunno about cavalier, he already has those skills. Knight is really slow but provides good supports. Wyvern Rider would be my go to, since he flies and still provides good melee support

EDIT: Don't do it if you're playing Lunatic, that should go without mentioning. Robin, Panne are better candidates there

Edited by DaveCozy

Not really. If you SS him to a Cavalier at GK Lv.5, he'll be gaining exp around the rate of a Lv.12-13 Cavalier, but with about a third of the stats you'd expect one to have then. You also always gain exp as if you promoted at Lv.20 regardless of when you use a Master Seal, so promoting him at 10 will give you a Fred with 10-15 levels of stat growths under his belt... and gaining exp like a a unit that's Lv.30+.

As long as you're on Normal/Hard though, it won't matter much. Fred's strong enough that he can stay sort of relevant for the whole game with only a few levels, and he'll be hiding behind Sumia most of the time anyway.

10 minutes ago, Thane said:

But but but...Pega-pony princess?

Cynthia will always be a princess in her father's eyes. . .no matter who he may be!  Thus, Frederick is a perfectly valid choice for her father!

Reclassing should generally be done for more skills, so don't waste your time turning him into a cavalier since he starts with their skills - outdoor fighter and discipline. Even out experience gains with other units until you're late enough in the game that Frederick gets decent amounts for a kill, because getting him to 5 for luna is a smart move before reclassing. Among frederick's available skills, Luna is certainly worth passing on to Cynthia, as is Aegis which you can earn as a lv15 paladin. Halving damage from bows and wind magic can potentially save her life. But using fliers in a way that they don't encounter such enemies is already a great answer, and getting pavise as a lv15General might prove a more relevant defensive skill. If luna already sounds good for cynthia, then your reclass with Frederick should be for skills you think he'd benefit from most. Aegis in my opinion for this case.

fred is fine as a great knight all of the main game imo.  he loses his op status, but becomes a perfectly respectable tank unit.   especially if paired with sumia - they have really good chemistry stat-wise, i usually do that even after sumia and chrom reach s-rank.