Bad news. This game seems to be a data hog.

Anacybele

Yeah, I just got a message on my phone saying I've almost used up all our data. My mom's not going to be happy. I didn't know the game used up so much. I've only put maybe five hours into it so far.

I never got this message watching football games or playing tons of Pokemon GO. So this game HAS to be very very bad on data. Way to fucking go, IS... Also, I keep telling my mom we should switch because Verizon doesn't offer an unlimited data plan, and I know she doesn't like Verizon much anymore because she thinks we pay too much, so I don't know why we don't do something. I know in some cases we wouldn't be able to keep our phones though... So I'm not sure what we're going to do.

Well, this drops the game's rating further for me. I was going to rate it 2/5, maybe 3/5 since I don't think the base content is as good as it could be. Gameplay is good. But being such a stupid data hog is not good at all. It limits play time a lot. And if you can't play it, you can't enjoy it.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Aera said:

Just play it at home? Or play it wherever there's internet access. I already got the idea games like these will eat up your data. 

I am playing it at home...

And I like playing games on the go. I'm also a person that loves travel. I realize this is kind of ironic since I usually prefer home consoles and home console games to handheld ones, but I still like portable gaming due to my love of traveling.

Battery hasn't been an issue, I just plug in my phone when I need to. I don't know exactly how much data we get per month.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Oshimos said:

I've been playing it on bus rides and my phone says Heroes only used 1.5 mb. Did you install the patches on data or something?

I don't understand. Patches? Don't those come out later?

There was 2 patches. When you start the game.

The 90MB + the 400MB + another 10MB (this morning)

Battery is a problem. Though I am using a Nexus 5 (One of the better smartphone per price. with the worse battery life)

A 50 stamina runs drain 70% of battery (it depends). I havent turned down my volume yet.. Will be planning to.. in the next while after I get the hang of the music.

Just now, Anacybele said:

I don't understand. Patches? Don't those come out later?

Whenever the game has to install additional data. There's one on the first bootup of the game, one once you make it past the prologue (I think, it happened automatically around then for me), and there was one this morning. 

1 minute ago, Oshimos said:

Whenever the game has to install additional data. There's one on the first bootup of the game, one once you make it past the prologue (I think, it happened automatically around then for me), and there was one this morning. 

Oh, those. I might've. I don't understand phones nearly as well as I do computers, so...

Also, people who think battery is a problem, here's another answer: portable charger. I have one of those too. Got it for Christmas since I've got people who know I'm a Pokemon GO player (though I don't play as much as before).

Edited by Anacybele

a) There may be settings on your phone to allow you to only play the game on a Wi-Fi connection where on is available.

b) If not, turning off your data connection and leaving Wi-Fi on where it is available will save you a ton of data.

I'm not having these problems since I play on my iPad (partially because my phone almost certainly wouldn't be able to run this game), but it shouldn't be at all surprising to anyone that this game takes up a lot of data with it's big patches and heavy use of DRM. While Super Mario Run has DRM, I don't think it gets used nearly as much since there aren't as many features in that to take advantage of it. Between summoning, unlocking potential, dueling, training, greeting, rewards and the main story, all those little data chunks must add up.

I'm sure IS did all they can to optimise data consumption, but there's only so much they can do. You can't blame them if you don't have the ideal data plan for this kind of thing.

6 minutes ago, Rayhaku808 said:

I need to replace my phones battery but yet this game's going pretty good on it. I haven't gotten a warning on data yet but thanks for the heads up. I don't have wifi at my job so what am I gonna do? OTL

Well, considering it's your job, I'm a say don't play it then. You can be more productive and save on data. It's a win-win!

Yeah it's too bad. I didn't know this was gonna require a constant internet connection and then it seems to use lots of data, especially with the constant patches, so I've only been playing on Wi-Fi. 

I would suggest turning off data when you play and connecting to Wi-Fi if you can.

I think I might need to look at my data storage to see if I'm good enough. I did played Fire Emblem Heroes about 3 PM through 10 PM yesterday and it went down from 67% though 5% of Battery Power when I was beating through Chapter 3 and I do have a Portable Battery Recharger also.

I was already aware of how much storage it would use, but luckily for me, I gots unlimited data :D

Too bad it practically EATS my battery, and with the current charger I just bought, it would literally (not kidding) take the ENTIRE day to charge. ANd with a game like this, I couldnt charge and play even if i wanted to.

Well I am only playing this at home on wifi so I should be good I just checked my data to be sure and I am fine.  The only way I would play this is at the doctor's and since I have to wait so long when I go I just take my 3DS.

Yeah, I played this pretty heavily last night into this morning, at least 6 hours, at work, where I don't have a wifi connection, and my phone says FE Heroes has only used 8.95MB. If yours appears to be eating up all of your data, you definitely were downloading the patches/rerolling on your phone's data rather than on wifi.

I mean, I guess it is a negative, but adhering to low data usage might adversely affect the game itself. They'd have to work with more severe limitations. I really like how the game turned out (best mobile game I've played so far), so this seems like a pretty reasonable trade off.

That is why I will only play at home or where WIFI is at like my college campus. I figured it would be a data drain. Little surprising just how much, but not that much. I tend to not play many games off data anyway, drains way too much. 

I havent noticed the battery drain though, then again I use a tablet rather than a phone with a lot of apps and features turned off or removed to maximize the battery.

Ok, so it is pretty high, at > 500 MB for me since it came out, though I've certainly played quite a bit so far (up to Chpt. 5 and quite a bit of grinding). I'm far more concerned at the fact that this sucks battery life like a vampire. 

I'm lucky with my mobile contract's high caps though, so no big deal for me.