Upgraded units appear to be weaker than pulled units

Minischew

Upgraded units seem to have a smaller total of base stat points than that of pulled units. (Upgrade = unlock potential to increase the rarity of a character.) Perhaps upgraded units simply have a slow start and both types of units have the same total of max stat points, but I wouldn't know because I haven't maxed out anyone yet. 

Examples are pulled from the Initial Stats thread.

Spoiler

Upgraded 3* Hana

• HP: 17
  • Atk: 14
  • Spd: 9
  • Def: 5
  • Res: 3
  • Total: 48

Pulled 3* Hana

• Atk: 16
  • Spd: 9
  • Def: 6
  • Res: 2
  • Total: 50

Upgraded 4* Sophia

• Atk: 15
  • Spd: 3
  • Res: 7
  • Total: 47

Pulled 4* Sophia

• Atk: 19
  • Spd: 3
  • Res: 6
  • Total: 50

Upgraded 5* M!Corrin

• HP: 20
  • Atk: 18
  • Spd: 8
  • Def: 10
  • Res: 5
  • Total: 61

Pulled 5* M!Corrin

• HP: 19
  • Atk: 24
  • Spd: 8
  • Def: 6
  • Res: 6
  • Total: 63

Edited by Minischew

Note that it's all in attack. That's because when we're peeking at 4* to 5* they're not yet equipped with their final weapon so they'll appear to be missing some attack in that preview. Otherwise, it's the natural 1/2 point variance.

I'm fairly sure it's because they didn't upgrade the weapon. pulled 3*'s get the second weapon in the list, pulled 4*'s get the third weapon and pulled 5*s get the highest tier weapon skill. Check the stats and you'll see that the ATK is the one thing that's keeping the stats the same mostly.

Edit: Ninja'd by @lysander :p

Edited by Birdy

8 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Woah, that's interesting, but I'd say we need way more samples to determine if there's an actual pattern here; since base stats have variation, it could just be a coincidence. I'll keep an eye out.

I'd definitely agree that we need more samples, but I thought it might be interesting for people who aren't lurking on the Initial Stats threads.

Also, variations within base stats typically even out to the same total of stat points. For instance, two 3* Frederick's may have stats spread differently but they'll have the same total of stat points of 49. One could have an Atk/Res of 16/2 and the other an Atk/Res of 15/3. That's why the difference in the totals of stat points of upgraded vs. pulled units seems significant to me.

EDIT: Never mind! Mystery solved.

Edited by Minischew

3 minutes ago, lysander said:

Note that it's all in attack. That's because when we're peeking at 4* to 5* they're not yet equipped with their final weapon so they'll appear to be missing some attack in that preview. Otherwise, it's the natural 1/2 point variance.

2 minutes ago, Birdy said:

I'm fairly sure it's because they didn't upgrade the weapon. pulled 3*'s get the second weapon in the list, pulled 4*'s get the third weapon and pulled 5*s get the highest tier weapon skill. Check the stats and you'll see that the ATK is the one thing that's keeping the stats the same mostly.

Edit: Ninja'd by @lysander :p

Ohh, that explains a lot. I'm glad to hear that, because I would have been pretty disappointed if upgraded units were worse than pulled units.

3 minutes ago, lysander said:

Oh, so when you upgrade a 4* Corrin to 5* Corrin, he doesn't automatically come with the Omega Yato?

9 minutes ago, Minischew said:

Ohh, that explains a lot. I'm glad to hear that, because I would have been pretty disappointed if upgraded units were worse than pulled units.

Don't double-post.

The benefit to upgrading is SP, which means you can either spend it on a weapon upgrade, or go after skills.

You keep your SP and all purchased skills after upgrading though, so your level 1 4* promoted to 5* should actually be better situated than a natural 5* if you went all the way to 40 or even to 30 or if you upgraded all the way from 3* or lower. When going into the arena with a full level 1 team this is actually your advantage in the match-ups since they don't seem to really consider skills.