What do you think on Narcian?

Thany

I may make a topic like this a few days after Every hero battle to see if they think it was worth getting said hero or not.

Since i had no wyverns at all before that event, he seems to me to be becoming a good unit, i already got him to 4 stars and training him still. It was totally worth getting him just for his voice acting and quotes in general. its hard to not laugh. i May use him in a team of fliers when i have enough of em. to get that +6 defence and resistance.

What about you? are you finding good use with him? or was getting him a mistake in a way?

"Is it worth getting this hero" seems like a strange question. If you like playing the game, you may as well do whatever unique maps there are.

In any case, Narcian is a lot of fun, and one of the first heroes I've upgraded from 3* to 4*. Great lines, art, and voice acting; I hope there are more villains handled this well in the future.

Narcian's been one of my favorite FE characters since playing FE6 over 10 years ago, so of course I was going to get him here and grind him up as much as possible regardless of how good he was.  He stole every FE6 scene he took part in, and like you said, it's hard not be amused by his antics!  That being said, I have a few minor complaints regarding how he plays as a unit in Heroes.

Making him an Axe user is kind of a bizarre choice -- he couldn't even equip them in the original game.  I suppose this has more to do with how Wyvern characters in general have been re-purposed as flying axe users since FE9 onwards, but I still wish Narcian could have had his signature Rune Sword. =[

Emerald Axe is kind of hit or miss for me.  While I appreciate his ability to thoroughly nuke any lance unit who crosses his path, I can't make much use of him on any map that has 3+ red units.  He's still 4* for me, so right now there's no power loss switching over to the Steel Axe in those situations.

My one regret is that I kind of wish my units were strong enough to tackle the Hard mode version of the map, so I could get two Narcians. =[

Right now I'm alternating between training up Narcian (and Olivia) and clearing Chapter 4 Lunatic for Orbs, so I've been using him quite a bit lately.

Before getting Narcian, my only Green units worth using were Cherche, who was good (especially for Knight killing) but way too fragile for my liking (NO SPEED + NO RESISTANCE = NO USE) and Cecilia, who has crap Speed and Defense right now, but I've been using her a bit more lately and I feel like I was underestimating her earlier. I didn't really have a good Axe user before grabbing Narcian (like I said, Cherche was just too fragile, I don't want a unit who's just going to die every time anyone looks at her funny), so being able to pick him up (at 2 Stars, no way I could pull off Hard) was a great thing.
Despite my motivation for getting Narcian being "Replace Cherche," I've found that stat-wise he's much more... balanced than Cherche*. Narcian doesn't have Cherche's monstrous Attack and considerable Defense, but he also doesn't have her craptacular Speed and single-digit Resistance**. His Emerald Axe makes him deal great damage to Blue enemies, and Lancebreaker lets him double Lancers automatically at high HP to make him capable of crushing anyone with a Lance (except possibly Knights, not sure how he'll do against those). He has Savage Blow to damage enemies near his target, softening them up for other units to take out. Finally, he gets Retribution and Vengeance, which make him dangerous at low HP as well.
Still, he's not an amazing unit. Being a flyer, Narcian doesn't want to face arrows (he can probably survive one arrow, but more than one and he's screwed), and with the Emerald Axe, he really doesn't want to be fighting Red units either (since Emerald Axe deals far less damage against Red units than against Green/Colorless units, and way less than against Blues). Also, while his Resistance is alright, you probably don't want him to be tanking magic hits (except maybe Blue magic, and even then I wouldn't want to rely on that), and his so-so Speed will probably be a problem down the road.
Overall, Narcian is a flying anti-Blue nuke, and he does a stellar job of nuking Blues and especially Lances, but you probably won't get much more out of him than that.

As for me, I like Narcian. I needed an Axe unit and a flier, and Narcian covers both of those things, so I'm pretty happy.
Of course even if he were terrible I'd still like him for the voicework. Kaiji Tang nails exactly how... huge-ego-ish (I know there's a word for this, but it's just not coming to me) I expected Narcian to be, and it is glorious. That alone makes Narcian worth suffering through his map.
Also his damaged art. That face.

*I dunno how Narcian's stats will end up at 5-Star Level 40 or anything, I'm just going off of my Narcian and my Cherche for the stats.
**I'm sure Cherche's Resistance will go over 10 at some point, but I stopped when she was 4-Star Level 24 and had 10 Speed and 8 Resistance. That is unacceptable.

The map is ****shi-.

Even with LV35...it is hard. I love his animation of "Ha." "Ha." "Ha." It will be glorious now that we know that villains won't be random summon pulls. XD

Edited by PuffPuff

Narcian actually has a higher stat total than Camilla at 5* Level 40 (~170 vs ~160); he's actually stronger than Camilla in every stat except Res, and he's only 4 points lower on average.

That being said, Camilla has the Brave Axe+ instead of the Emerald Axe, which is a much more flexible weapon, and also allows her to get ORKOs that Narcian cannot, notably Male Robin. It also makes her trigger her Special Skill much faster than Narcian, resulting in higher damage output. She also maintains decent firepower against Typeless units, and isn't entirely helpless against Reds.

Narcian has Lancebreaker, however. He is the second unit to get Lancebreaker after Arthur, and the only flying Lancebreaker, which, when coupled with the Emerald Axe+, gives him quite a niche. This makes him very strong against Effie, the second strongest Lance unit in the game (I believe Lancebreaker overrides Effie's Wary Fighter, but honestly I haven't tested this, nor have I found anyone who has), and Narcian's higher Def compared to Camilla compensates for Effie's scary Death Blow.

Both units have Savage Blow to chip enemies out. You can pretty much pick freely between Narcian and Camilla depending on your team, if you have them both. If you don't have Camilla, then Narcian is a good replacement