Future Pirates and Terrain

Rezzy

I was thinking about if we ever get a few Pirates like Dart in Heroes.  It would be nice if they had the ability to walk on water tiles and Brigand/Berserkers could walk over Mountain tiles.

To go along with this, it would also be nice if we got some more varied terrain tiles.  Even minor things, like +1 Def on Forest tiles, and maybe adding Thrones or Gates.

I don't think pirates are so distinct from the existing fighters, warriors, and berserkers that they need to have separate rules, they're just axe wielding infantry. Few maps have water to cross. Plus the only pirates I can think of from this series besides Dart are Darros and Geese. Or captain Fargus if they really want FE fans to drop their panties ("what moonclaves!")

And yeah, terrain bonuses would be a neat addition. Since the only tactical application for forest terrain is working around the movement penalty. For example, you can bait an enemy from a forest tile, and retreat the next player phase without fear of another attack. Since in this game, unless you're fighting against an armor knight, retreat is a poor defensive option, they always catch up. Being able to enter mountains like you enter forests would also spice up certain maps that start you along a mountain range. Really the map design of Heroes needs to be less about funneling your non-flying units along a certain path in the first two phases.

Because they can't have Accuracy and combat based RNG, here are my two cents on tiles, and how they should work:

- Plains Tiles: No Bonus, Move Cost 1.

- Forest Tiles: +2 Def/Res, Move Cost 2.

- Hill Tiles: +2 Atk/Spd, Move Cost 2.

- Mountain Tiles: Impassable

- Water Tiles: Impassable

Additionally, some unique abilities that would play on the limitations and strength of each tile:

- Buccaneer: This Unit treats Water Tiles as Plains Tiles and gains +1/2/3 Attack in water.

- Mountaineer: This unit treats Mountain Tiles as Hill Tiles and gains +1/2/3 Def on mountains.

- Acrobatic: This unit ignors movement penalty and enemy terrain buffs for special terrain.

18 hours ago, Gustavos said:

I don't think pirates are so distinct from the existing fighters, warriors, and berserkers that they need to have separate rules, they're just axe wielding infantry. Few maps have water to cross. Plus the only pirates I can think of from this series besides Dart are Darros and Geese. Or captain Fargus if they really want FE fans to drop their panties ("what moonclaves!")

And yeah, terrain bonuses would be a neat addition. Since the only tactical application for forest terrain is working around the movement penalty. For example, you can bait an enemy from a forest tile, and retreat the next player phase without fear of another attack. Since in this game, unless you're fighting against an armor knight, retreat is a poor defensive option, they always catch up. Being able to enter mountains like you enter forests would also spice up certain maps that start you along a mountain range. Really the map design of Heroes needs to be less about funneling your non-flying units along a certain path in the first two phases.

They could include Brigands, Pirates, and Berserkers to get a decent amount of representation.  They have as many of them as Dancers, and they've included them.

11 hours ago, Alpha Wolves said:

Because they can't have Accuracy and combat based RNG, here are my two cents on tiles, and how they should work:

- Plains Tiles: No Bonus, Move Cost 1.

- Forest Tiles: +2 Def/Res, Move Cost 2.

- Hill Tiles: +2 Atk/Spd, Move Cost 2.

- Mountain Tiles: Impassable

- Water Tiles: Impassable

Additionally, some unique abilities that would play on the limitations and strength of each tile:

- Buccaneer: This Unit treats Water Tiles as Plains Tiles and gains +1/2/3 Attack in water.

- Mountaineer: This unit treats Mountain Tiles as Hill Tiles and gains +1/2/3 Def on mountains.

- Acrobatic: This unit ignors movement penalty and enemy terrain buffs for special terrain.

I like the Def/Res bonus in Forests, Hills, I'd keep the Atk buff, but maybe not the Spd buff.  I'd make Water tiles cost 2 move to traverse.  I think they cost extra move in the GBA games.

A lot of that seems to not fit the simplicity they've been going for. It's worth noting that Hawkeye is already in the game and has regular infantry movement.

4 minutes ago, Othin said:

A lot of that seems to not fit the simplicity they've been going for. It's worth noting that Hawkeye is already in the game and has regular infantry movement.

It's still straight math, so it's not any more complicated than many of the skills that they already have in-game.  They could always patch the game to add it in.

I think he was more thinking to strategic simplicity, i.e.: Not "This tile gives this bonus, that tile gives no bonuses" strategy. Personally, I feel it should give some form of bonus (like int he normal fire emblem game, it would add or subtract to-hit bonus based on Weapon Triangle, but instead they made the weapon Triangle a flat +20% buff). If they were to add hills into the game (not even having to make new level 1-9 maps, maybe make level 10-19 include hills and the special tile mechanics. 

Maybe the Buccaneer treats Water as Forests (2 movement, +2 Def/Res) and gains bonus Attack on water? It wouldn't make as much sense (Water vs Forests) but it makes sense mechanically (being the opposite if Mountains/Hills). Additionally, Hills give down-hill advantages, increasing speed by running down at someone as opposed to running up towards someone. It makes sense in my mind.

I highly doubt Heroes will implement the finer details of terrain bonus outside of Skills. (i.e.: my Fan-concept "Forest Adept" that buffs the units abilities if they start their turn in a forest). and Movement Penalties.