How many playable characters are there throughout the series?

Thany

im excluding bosses for the moment but hear me out.

Our home base starts off with 200 space for our units to be added to. its more then enough room for the characters we have currently. but i wonder. just HOW many units are there? how many playable characters from the series is there, and how many times will one need to upgrade their castle to have one of each available once more characters are added. essentially what im asking is, is the max level in the barracks enough to contain one of each playable unit? (excluding bosses currently.)

Counting each character only once—i.e. characters like Marth, Ike, Tiki, Severa, etc. only get counted once, period, not once per playable appearance—there are 595 distinct recruitable characters in the series!

This count includes all characters who can be added to the player's party under any legitimate circumstances, in at least one game, which means that it does include the likes of postgame bonus characters, characters exclusively recruitable through Awakening's SpotPass legacy teams such as Ursula or Arvis, and the capturable bosses in Fates. For the purposes of this tally, each of the three playable Annas is counted as her own character (since they're almost certainly all different individuals), and Rhajat, Asugi, and Caeldori are counted separately from Tharja, Gaius, and Cordelia.

EDIT: I feel it'd be important and relevant to mention that this count does not include Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE characters! I haven't played the game, but more importantly, it's only half Fire Emblem, and it's my understanding that it plays significantly differently from fullblooded Fire Emblem games, too. I may revise the tally at a later time, but for now, TMS characters aren't included.

Edited by Topaz Light

Goodness.... and the barracks limit is 500 right? i feel like a year or so from now they will need to add an update to upgrade the barracks further XD. Thank you very much for the info.

Every gacha game I've played also do 'variations' of existing characters. For now, we know there'll be a different costume of Ike & Lyn, however there'll likely be future variations during holidays such as a 'Santa Cervantes' or 'Beach Lyndis' for example.

Considering that the Cipher TCG actually includes characters from TMS #FE, it's possible for TMS #FE characters to be added to Heroes (if only to make whales whale harder). There may even be a chance that the 4 characters original to Cipher (Emma, Shade, Yuzu, Lando) may be added though they may not come just to be Cipher-only characters. 

In the Choose Your Legends poll, there are 783 characters that can be voted on, including variants of the same character.