Sudden realisation regarding hero merging

Raven

Lol disregard everything in this post, I'm just a hopeful poor guy trying to find a way around the expensive feather system.

So basically, If you have a 3* or 4* unit you really like and want them to get better stats through merging (since a fully merged unit will have +4 to all stats), just keep them at a low rarity so you can merge them for cheap when you do eventually get copies, without wasting feathers to get them to the same rarity.

Am I wrong? Is there any sort of negatives/flaws to doing it this way? Did I just make you think "wtf, why didn't I think of this?" Did you already know and I'm just a typical slow-arse Welshman?

Edited by Raven

They lose the stats when you unlock potential. Unless you never plan to go for 4*/5*, then it's better at the lower rarities, yeah.

At least, I assume you mean that you get a lot of stats and easily acquire copies at the lower rarities so it's best to merge them there, yeah?

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I'm not sure I follow. What kind of advantage is being gained here?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to gain a +1 level from merging, the units must be of the same rarity when they merge.

E.g., Not having to spend 2,000 feathers to get your second Gwendolyn to rarity 4 just to merge it with a Gwendolyn you spent 2,000 feathers to reach rarity 4 a while back. Merging the 3* Gwendolyn with a 3* Gwendolyn would still give the +1 level, while merging a 3* Gwendolyn into a 4* Gwendolyn would not. You're effectively saving 20,000 feathers by not having to upgrade your future 3* Gwendolyns to level 4 just to merge them with a 4* Gwendolyn.

Gwendolyn.

6 minutes ago, Dual Dragons said:

They lose the stats when you unlock potential. Unless you never plan to go for 4*/5*, then it's better at the lower rarities, yeah.

At least, I assume you mean that you get a lot of stats and easily acquire copies at the lower rarities so it's best to merge them there, yeah?

They lose the stats, but don't they eventually regain them through level-up? Won't a 3* unit with +10 merges become a 4* unit with +10 merges?

And yes, that's what I mean.

Edited by Raven

1 minute ago, Raven said:

They lose the stats, but don't they eventually regain them through level-up? Won't a 3* unit with +10 merges become a 4* unit with +10 merges?

And yes, that's what I mean.

It does not.

they downgrade to base form without any benifit of merged units. I know this because my sophia didnt keep her merge stadus when i fused a 2 star sophia with a 1 star one.

Edited by Thany

1 minute ago, Dual Dragons said:

I haven't merged for stats but I would assume no. Incentivize you to get 5* for stats and all.

1 minute ago, Thany said:

It does not.

they downgrade to base form without any benifit of merged units. I know this because my sophia didnt keep her merge stadus when i fused a 2 star sophia with a 1 star one.

Fuck. I thought I'd found a way to beat the system, too.

Would a 4* unit with +10 merges have better stats than the same single 5* unit?

7 minutes ago, Raven said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to gain a +1 level from merging, the units must be of the same rarity when they merge.

E.g., Not having to spend 2,000 feathers to get your second Gwendolyn to rarity 4 just to merge it with a Gwendolyn you spent 2,000 feathers to reach rarity 4 a while back. Merging the 3* Gwendolyn with a 3* Gwendolyn would still give the +1 level, while merging a 3* Gwendolyn into a 4* Gwendolyn would not. You're effectively saving 20,000 feathers by not having to upgrade your future 3* Gwendolyns to level 4 just to merge them with a 4* Gwendolyn.

Gwendolyn.

So your 4* Gwendolyn is still better and sitting there, and you have a 3* +1 Gwendolyn around. Not much point either way.

A 4* +10 definitely is stronger than a 5*, but most units lose their best weapon and a skill.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

Just now, Raven said:

Fuck. I thought I'd found a way to beat the system, too.

Would a 4* unit with +10 merges have better stats than the same single 5* unit?

Potentially. but you miss out on maxed out weapons/ skills if you dont go to 5 star. so your enemies will essentially always have a weapon and skill advantage.

Just now, Thany said:

Potentially. but you miss out on maxed out weapons/ skills if you dont go to 5 star. so your enemies will essentially always have a weapon and skill advantage.

That's true. Welp. Case closed, I suppose.

What the two above said. The higher rarity would unlock other skills and weapons. Stats-wise, though, it would probably be similar/better. In this case, I think it's best to think on a unit-by-unit basis.

Ex. My 4* Olivia is probably fine staying at 4* because she only unlocks Silver Sword+ at 5* and has been playing more of a hard support role. Still have to weigh if more stats > Silver Sword+.

It may be viable to keep some units at 4* with multiple merging instead of upgrading. For example right now the only difference between Clarine 4* and Clarine 5* is Resistance +3 instead of Resistance +2 and of course 2 extra stats points due to being 5 stars, so 3 copies should be enough to offset this. Though for most units you'll want the best skills and weapons avalaible only at 5*.