Team building questions

salinea

Right now my top team has:

Caeda (5*, red, good support for rally speed and great mage killer, boosts resistance, well balanced stats overall)
Frederick (4* green, mobile physical tank, kills… well most things really unless they’re red, slow-ish but not so much that he gets double attacked very often, crap resistance, boosts defense), Nino (4*, green, squishier than Sophia who she replaces, but is super fast which seems to balance it more or less, and it’s easier to boost her offense since she has the Blade weapon and my team is all about the mutual boosts, bit of mobility utility with Draw Back, boosts attack).
My previous blue unit was Sully who I feel had a bit too mediocre an offense… she did peanut damage to none sword users and sometimes few to them either. OTOH she has mostly well balanced stats (decent resistance and speed), has the mobility of cavalry + utility of Draw Back, and a spur Defense which is nice to combine with Frederick’s ungodly defense or his defense boost to someone else… anyway, I’ve been trying to phase her out in favour of Effie (Blue, kills whatever draws near that fails to kills her, can Smite if you can position her) which seems to work well until she got unexpectedly ORKO by a Gordon with a brave bow… and well she’s slow to move around.
As far as Blue units go, I’ve also just drawn Cordelia 5* as a Blue unit, but two Peg knight in a team might be too squishy; and I’m starting to think 4*ing Sharena might be the best fit to this team (since it’s mostly based on mutual boosts)

Anyway, with my last draw, I’m also wondering about building a team based upon Effie 4* (crazy def/attack, smite), Julia (crazy res/attack, heals a bit), Olivia 4* (for the move) + a fourth person. I’m thinking maybe Sheena 4* (for the Armor support), Lissa 4* (it’s a very defensive team so a healer might not be wasted), Selena 4* or Barst 3* (for the Reposition mainly)…
Any advice?

And I’m also thinking of a team built on Cordelia (with Galeforce) and Olivia, but i’m quite not sure how that one would work. I have several high level Peg knights with Peg specific supports (Palla and Caeda) but too many Peg knights is pretty squish. The quick strike could be also well served with Cecilia or Raigh (raised them by myself to 3* so far) for their special weapons.
Thoughts?

Also, not team building but what should I do with my 3*Olivia (that I had raised all by myself lol). Delete her for the feathers, fusion for the AP (which i’m increasingly feeling is a waste since by the end you swim in more AP than you need), or raise her to 4* then merge for the stat boosts? (also there’s a 2*Lissa which I could do the same with, if I want to take Lissa to a top team).

My roster right now:

Screenshot_2017-02-19-04-11-19.thumb.png.4a31987979a088011a4e152becba19e9.png

(I also have a 5*Sakura I never bothered training because I can't think of any use for her but i suppose I could be wrong). I only know the Boon/Bane of my most recent draws sadly since I didn't know to check them out.

If you have the feathers, then 5* Nino and 5* Sharena are both pretty good picks. However, you probably don't...

Looking at your members, it doesn't seem you have a good Takumi counter, so no matter what you do, it's not going to be easy. I would suggest just running your three 5*s, Caeda, Julia and Cordelia. They're all solid units to have, and 5*s are so much stronger than 4*s. When you get 5* Sharena and 5* Nino some day, I would replace Cordelia and Julia with them.

For the fourth slot, I think your best bet is probably 4* Effie. Effie's a pretty solid unit, and can sort of tank Takumi for you, and she won't die as easily since she has Wary Fighter.

Keep Olivia. She's good.

6 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

If you have the feathers, then 5* Nino and 5* Sharena are both pretty good picks. However, you probably don't...

No yet, lol. Someday maybe!

Looking at your members, it doesn't seem you have a good Takumi counter, so no matter what you do, it's not going to be easy.

Nah, it's been a bit hard against Takumis... so I try for reliable easy victories more than hard fights in the arena. Frederick's the one that has been dealing with them the most reliable but that often ends in sacrificed units in any case.

I would suggest just running your three 5*s, Caeda, Julia and Cordelia. They're all solid units to have, and 5*s are so much stronger than 4*s.

You don't think running two Peg Knights is a bit shaky?

When you get 5* Sharena and 5* Nino some day, I would replace Cordelia and Julia with them.

For the fourth slot, I think your best bet is probably 4* Effie. Effie's a pretty solid unit, and can sort of tank Takumi for you, and she won't die as easily since she has Wary Fighter.

I'll try it. She has awesome offense, but sometimes she's not that great at tanking. But I find her very hard to position and move around.

Keep Olivia. She's good.

I know, lol! Wasn't going not to. I was asking about what to do with my 3*Olivia.

6 hours ago, salinea said:

No yet, lol. Someday maybe!

Nah, it's been a bit hard against Takumis... so I try for reliable easy victories more than hard fights in the arena. Frederick's the one that has been dealing with them the most reliable but that often ends in sacrificed units in any case.

You don't think running two Peg Knights is a bit shaky?

I'll try it. She has awesome offense, but sometimes she's not that great at tanking. But I find her very hard to position and move around.

I know, lol! Wasn't going not to. I was asking about what to do with my 3*Olivia.

Two Peg Knights is your best bet, because your other units will perform even worse. You're either gonna get shot by Takumi or not at all, and if you do get shot then it doesn't matter if you're a Peg Knight or not. Hopefully you'll pull some reliable infantry soon.

Oh, for the 3*, I guess you could just throw her away for the feathers if you want. Merging with your 4* does give 40 SP, if you need it.

5 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Two Peg Knights is your best bet, because your other units will perform even worse. You're either gonna get shot by Takumi or not at all, and if you do get shot then it doesn't matter if you're a Peg Knight or not. Hopefully you'll pull some reliable infantry soon.

Oh, for the 3*, I guess you could just throw her away for the feathers if you want. Merging with your 4* does give 40 SP, if you need it.

I was wondering if it was worthwhile to raise her to 4* then merge for the stat boosts? Or is that a waste of feathers?

57 minutes ago, salinea said:

I was wondering if it was worthwhile to raise her to 4* then merge for the stat boosts? Or is that a waste of feathers?

If you really want to use Olivia, then go ahead. If you don't see yourself using her any time soon, then no.

19 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

If you really want to use Olivia, then go ahead. If you don't see yourself using her any time soon, then no.

Thanks! I might do that.

Wouldn't mind getting a few other people's opinions before making my choice; but thank you for answering.

Edited by salinea

For Olivia: Getting SP is a problem, so I'd level up the 3* to 4*, and merge.

For your team: How does Effie, Julia, Olivia, and Caeda sound?  Caeda is a filler unit, until you get an infantry sword user who isn't doubled by everything/dies to a stiff breeze.  If you somehow pull a Falchion user, swap Julia for Nino, so she can pull Effie along (I. . .have no idea how Nino can pull someone in full armor. . .she's definitely trying her best. . .).

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

For Olivia: Getting SP is a problem, so I'd level up the 3* to 4*, and merge.

Cool! Thanks!

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

For your team: How does Effie, Julia, Olivia, and Caeda sound?  Caeda is a filler unit, until you get an infantry sword user who isn't doubled by everything/dies to a stiff breeze.  If you somehow pull a Falchion user, swap Julia for Nino, so she can pull Effie along (I. . .have no idea how Nino can pull someone in full armor. . .she's definitely trying her best. . .).

Pretty fun. I just started trying to use Effie / Julia / Olivia / Barts in the arena, they're still fairly lopsided as a team so no real challenge, but the mobility + high offense was pretty fun to play with. Caeda doesn't help as much with the mobility, but she's a more serious player than Barts I guess. And a flier which can be useful. (btw I find Caeda surprisingly defensive for a Pegasus Knight. Maybe I drew a high def one). From trying it a bit, while the visual of Nino dragging Effie around is hilarious (I love all the mobility skill for the visuals, they're the best <3) Draw Back messed pretty badly with Effie's 1-move. Unless the map and initial positioning makes moving in diagonal a good idea it's Nino dragging Effie one case ahead so Effie can't move because Nino is right in front of her.

1 minute ago, salinea said:

Cool! Thanks!

Pretty fun. I just started trying to use Effie / Julia / Olivia / Barts in the arena, they're still fairly lopsided as a team so no real challenge, but the mobility + high offense was pretty fun to play with. Caeda doesn't help as much with the mobility, but she's a more serious player than Barts I guess. And a flier which can be useful. (btw I find Caeda surprisingly defensive for a Pegasus Knight. Maybe I drew a high def one). From trying it a bit, while the visual of Nino dragging Effie around is hilarious (I love all the mobility skill for the visuals, they're the best <3) Draw Back messed pretty badly with Effie's 1-move. Unless the map and initial positioning makes moving in diagonal a good idea it's Nino dragging Effie one case ahead so Effie can't move because Nino is right in front of her.

It's for maps that aren't a hallway.  Effie can move in one direction, and Nino can pull her in a different one.  Or, Nino can move into trees using Draw Back, without incurring a penalty.  Mostly useless on That One Lava Map.  Someone should totally draw Nino trying to drag Effie! :P:

Repositioning is hilarious, thanks to the tiny map sizes.

• 2 weeks later...

So just coming back to the thread to talk about how it went!

I went with Effie / Barts / Julia / Olivia for a little while and it was cool, but eventually I dropped it because some maps made Effie's moves too frustrating and despite Barts' awesome support skills (the combination of Spur and Hone Attack from him and Olivia at least once allowed Julia to one shot a Takumi which was a lifesaver) his offensive just didn't follow enough, even against some lance users.

Anyway, then I pulled Eirika, so I went with Eirika / Cordelia / Julia / Olivia team. High offense / high mobility in a different kind of way :3 I pretty much did the majority of the 80 arena duels challenge with them (as well as the other lunatic arena challenges) so I tested it a lot. They're good but they're a team of squishies so I had to be very careful about positioning. And taking down Takumis continued to be a hassle. Julia (who is +Def) could with her speed boosted to bait him without getting doubled, or Cordelia with her attack boosted; but the positioning was often super tricky to manage (especially with dual Takumi team. I think I only managed once, via heroic effort of Cordelia who killed Leo and the two Takumi in one round thanks Galeforce before falling to Camilla. Your squadmates would be proud, Cordelia *single tear*).

Anyway that team managed to put me in the 10,000-30,000 rank category, which I am very happy with!! I wasn't really doing the arena seriously previous to that, so that's a big jump.

I haven't had much luck with the current banner (which pisses me off as I would be super happy to pull ANY of the characters from it), but I did pull an adult!Tiki just before. Tried to see if she'd work in my current top team instead of Olivia for better stats sums, but yeaaaah, no. Between how easily she gets killed by blue stuff and dragonkiller stuff this is not great. And Cordelia definitely needs Olivia still to work her magic. I'm now trying Tiki / Cordelia / Julia / Olivia instead which seems a bit better but needs more testing still. Tiki does make taking down Takumis easier, and just having a relatively efficient tank who can counter is cool; but I might miss the +Speed boost from Eirika (and her speed to one round some axe users)... and mostly it defeats the purpose of making the stat amount of the team to get more points, she has a lower stat total than Eirika, even, frustratingly.

But that's sort of the current ceiling of the whole arena minigame *sighs*

And... Caeda just got to 40 so I can confirm she was indeed +Def (and -Res; the exact same IV as my Julia, which amuses me because they're my two top Restanks and that doesn't seem to really slow them down :3)

I'm a bit shy of 20,000 feathers so I'll soon have to seriously consider whether I want to 5* Nino, or Sharena or someone else, too...

Edited by salinea