Too easy to delete data?

infmz

After starting out in Heroes, getting  a fair number of high ranked (4/5*) characters such as  Tharja, Robin, a plethora of swordsmen and Hawkeye, there came a point where I had to reinstall the app as everything had been deleted ?.  Puzzled, I reinstalled the app to find that everything was gone, despite linking to my NNID (which I thought would circumvent this possibility).  I logged a ticket in the support section of the app and decided to work out what had gone wrong.  

First test - I gave the phone to my two-year old and the first thing he did was look for the Heroes app, launch it, and (attempt) delete my data ???.

Now obviously I lost all my 'hard work', and as hilarious as it is, I think it's way too easy to delete data 'accidentally' from within the app (3-4 taps?).  From the splash screen, the Menu button is what stands out, not the 'Start' button.  Then from Account Management, I feel that the 'Delete All Data' is what stands out the most as it's in red!

I updated my ticket with some post-mortem info but will log another soon as I really think this ought to be moved.  I've kept the phone away from my son for now, but that shouldn't be the solution!

This story did end with a happily... After starting Heroes again, on my second 20 orbs I managed to get Cordelia 5* and more significantly, Takumi 5*.  Despite these two, I did prefer my old teams which featured some cool (subjective I know) Awakening and Birthright characters.

Edited by infmz

24 minutes ago, infmz said:

After starting out in Heroes, getting  a fair number of high ranked (4/5*) characters such as  Tharja, Robin, a plethora of swordsmen and Hawkeye, there came a point where I had to reinstall the app as everything had been deleted ?.  Puzzled, I reinstalled the app to find that everything was gone, despite linking to my NNID (which I thought would circumvent this possibility).  I logged a ticket in the support section of the app and decided to work out what had gone wrong.  

First test - I gave the phone to my two your old and the first thing he did was look for the Heroes app, launch it, and (attempt) delete my data ???.

Now obviously I lost all my 'hard work', and as hilarious as it is, I think it's way too easy to delete data 'accidentally' from within the app (3-4 taps?).  From the splash screen, the Menu button is what stands out, not the Start 'button'.  Then from Account Management, I feel that the 'Delete All Data' is what stands out the most as it's in red!

I updated my ticket with some post-mortem info but will log another soon as I really think this ought to be moved.  I've kept the phone away from my son for now, but that shouldn't be the solution!

This story did end with a happily... After starting Heroes again, on my second 20 orbs I managed to get Cordelia 5* and more significantly, Takumi 5*.  Despite these two, I did prefer my old teams which featured some cool (subjective I know) Awakening and Birthright characters.

So, linking your account to your Nintendo account doesn't save the file?  I thought you could play it on a different device, if you had your account linked.  I've already sunk $60 or so, and I'd be pissed if I lost all my data.  I thought since it was always online, it was safe.  They should at least make you enter your password or something.

Edited by Rezzy

Should be fine tbh. I linked my NNID and when I switched phones I still had everything. The orbs were back to 0 though, which is kind of stupid. But when I reopened it on the old phone the orbs were there. So I think orbs are linked to the device

22 minutes ago, NickV said:

Should be fine tbh. I linked my NNID and when I switched phones I still had everything. The orbs were back to 0 though, which is kind of stupid. But when I reopened it on the old phone the orbs were there. So I think orbs are linked to the device

That seems a bit odd.  I guess I'll have to be careful to use all my Orbs, should I ever switch phones.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

So, linking your account to your Nintendo account doesn't save the file?  I thought you could play it on a different device, if you had your account linked.  I've already sunk $60 or so, and I'd be pissed if I lost all my data.  I thought since it was always online, it was safe.  They should at least make you enter your password or something.

I'm quite certain the OP is referring to manually deleting your data through the options menu. Can't restore your linked data if there isn't any. 

32 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

That seems a bit odd.  I guess I'll have to be careful to use all my Orbs, should I ever switch phones.

They did clearly state that the orbs will only be kept on the Android phones, not the ios'es. It had to be an ios for the new one.

-----

Data shouldn't be lost by registering your username and password. That is how people are able to play it on other phones, or the emulator. It would downright be a bummer if it weren't so. >.<

2 minutes ago, Locked Apple said:

I'm quite certain the OP is referring to manually deleting your data through the options menu. Can't restore your linked data if there isn't any. 

I still wish that was password protected.  I always hate it when the Delete All Data in games can casually be erased like that.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

I still wish that was password protected.  I always hate it when the Delete All Data in games can casually be erased like that.

Or at least not easy to find or activate. Games like Pokemon need you to enter a combination on the main menu, so developers could add something like that. e.g. hold these four buttons and swipe this shape.

More things should be playtested on young children, as OP has demonstrated.  

12 minutes ago, Locked Apple said:

Or at least not easy to find or activate. Games like Pokemon need you to enter a combination on the main menu, so developers could add something like that. e.g. hold these four buttons and swipe this shape.

More things should be playtested on young children, as OP has demonstrated.  

Yeah, I try to keep my phone away from my son, but he still manages to grab it every once in a while.

I'd never thought about it before, but I guess young children really would have an easy time unlinking your data.

Maybe they could require you to log into My Nintendo to unlink your FEH data? I guess that would be the same as requiring your password.

2 minutes ago, Fly_or_Die said:

I'd never thought about it before, but I guess young children really would have an easy time unlinking your data.

Maybe they could require you to log into My Nintendo to unlink your FEH data? I guess that would be the same as requiring your password.

That would be better.  I always try to back up my games if possible, but Nintendo's already been pretty bad about it.  With the games being linked to the device instead of an account elsewhere, and here only taking a couple button presses to delete everything.

Well...if you linked more than one account like I have...it should work. Specifically, if you have for instance linked one of you 3DS ones to it which you have to allow it to link to your app devices through the system settings.

1 hour ago, Locked Apple said:

This is what I'm referring to, thanks.

To be clear, yes I signed in using my NNID, but manual deletion overrides this.

I've attached a screenshot of what the Customer Support FAQ says on the topic. Also, the support rep basically gave me the template response of, 'since you manually deleted your data there's no way of recovering it'.

For those in doubt now, this isn't the same as logging in on a different device, you can switch devices but lose your Orbs if you're switching OSes in the process, so iOS -> Android and vice versa.

I also agree that some password protection, or having to delete data from within your NNID would be more sensible.  Other systems require you to enter a code/word shown on screen to protect accidental loss of data.

For me, I was early enough into the game and saw the funny side of it, but had I spent more time and any money (something I'm now NOT considering), I'd certainly be vexed.

IMG_0877.PNG

Edited by infmz
Forgot something, didn't wanna DP.

I think that the orb loss is worse, IMO.  That's something that requires RL currency.  Progress on a game can be rebuilt, given time, but once you hand your money over, it's gone.

The other moral of the story is that my phone will only be handled by me.

I always found it stupid how easy it is to delete all your data in a few of these games. Something that dangerous should be behind several hard to navigate menus and give you a few warnings before you do it. Also the cursor always needs to start over the NO option rather than the YES option when it asks you to delete everything.

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

I think that the orb loss is worse, IMO.  That's something that requires RL currency.  Progress on a game can be rebuilt, given time, but once you hand your money over, it's gone.

Absolutely.  Fortunately I hadn't and still haven't spent any money.

That moral is one of the reasons I posted, so that others can be warned of how easily it happened to me.  But the reality for me is that with kids, it's easy to be lax at times, forget at others, and last but not least, the cat and mouse nature of the parent-child relationship.  Soon enough they work out your password/pin before you have to change it.  Fingerprint unlock never helped me either; my daughter (who was only three then) use to unlock my phone by getting my hand and testing each digit on the fingerprint reader while I was asleep!

And that's why I feel that our in-game data should be better protected, and even retrievable.  After all FE: Heroes, albeit a game and app is ultimately a service that we're using, which is hosting our data, which in turn is the result of our time and sometimes money.  Allowing it to be blown away so easily just isn't right. 

2 hours ago, fangpoint333 said:

I always found it stupid how easy it is to delete all your data in a few of these games. Something that dangerous should be behind several hard to navigate menus and give you a few warnings before you do it. Also the cursor always needs to start over the NO option rather than the YES option when it asks you to delete everything.

Agreed, this is the least I would've expected, as oppose to it being more easily discoverable from a visuals point-of-view, than the start button on the home screen.

Edited by infmz

7 hours ago, infmz said:

And that's why I feel that our in-game data should be better protected, and even retrievable.  After all FE: Heroes, albeit a game and app is ultimately a service that we're using, which is hosting our data, which in turn is the result of our time and sometimes money.  Allowing it to be blown away so easily just isn't right.

Yeah, I've already spent more on this game than I did on all the DLC combined for Fates.  I'd like some sort of assurance that all that money can't be wiped away by a curious toddler who grabs my phone and presses the wrong button.

10 hours ago, eclipse said:

It's just thankful that the phone has a pin number after it shuts down. Comes in handy for this kind of thing since the app game isn't protected. Especially, with all of the orb generators going around now that Nintendo is putting a stop to all of these scams hackers be spreading around.

Edited by PuffPuff