Top 10 Hopes For Fire Emblem Switch[Video]

Busterman64

Whether you like him or not, I feel like he had some REALLY good ideas and wanted to share them. :Joshua:

As for my opinions, copying my comment(with some edits) to here:

Here is my personal list:

1.)If there are children, pull a FE4 and have two generations. None of that Deeprealms crap again! Let realtime pass and the children fight their own war(just don't kill off most of the 1st Gen...please. Let them be else where fighting another faction of the enemy or something.)

2.)3rd Tiers. I want them back. They're B.A. Nuff said. :B):

3.)New Artstyle(probably similar to what Echoes has going for it). No offense, while I like the designs of Awakening and Fates, I'm dying for a new deaign style! Please!(I always like the realistic kinda look the Tellius games had!)

4.)Either have no MyUnit, or have a MyUnit that actually feels like a relateable person(a.k.a. Fix it). Do a better Robin. DO NOT DO ANOTHER CORRIN(because Corrin is the main reason I want them gone)!!! :angry:

5.)Gaiden Chapters. It'd be cool to experience extra chapters by meeting certain requirements again!

6.)Either have Bonus Experience or the chance to grind via a map.

7.)Either better Reclassing or get rid of it. I'm sorry, but I personally feel like this system is still pretty unbalanced and still a bit broken. I would like it if you had a limit on how many times a unit could reclass. Either 1 or 2 times. After that, you're stuck in that class line for the rest of that playthrough!

8.)Skills take a backseat like in previous games. I personally want Skills to go back to just being "helpers in a fight" then be "determiners in a fight", because I honestly feel like so many skills are somewhat OP(and/or are rather crippling), and with reclassing, you can stick a lot of those OP'ish skills on a lot of characters(possibly at the same time). In the Tellius games, while skills helped, you relied more on you're own power(stats) then skills(that and they didn't make things so complicated and turn a battle on a dime)!

9.)Units can premote either by a master seal or Level 21 like in the Tellius games. It'd make things move a bit smoother and not being unable to promote because a unit reaches Lvl.20 partway through the map and you have not seals.

10.) *Inhale* CHILL OUT WITH THE WAIFU STUFF! PLEASE! I know its unavoidable, but I don't want everything to be waifu central, ok? Awakening, it wasn't too bad. Fates, turned that dial WAAAY up! Keep that down a bit...please? For many people's sake...

11.)Bring durability back, but let weapons be restored like in FE4(it's a good system that I think should come back).

12.)Bring back the forge...a GOOD forge...like in the Tellius games(not what Awakening or especially what Fates brought us)!

...yeah, it's more then 10, but hey, they were important. :P:

1 hour ago, Busterman64 said:

1.)If there are children, pull a FE4 and have two generations. None of that Deeprealms crap again! Let realtime pass and the children fight their own war(just don't kill off most of the 1st Gen...please. Let them be else where fighting another faction of the enemy or something.)

2.)3rd Tiers. I want them back. They're B.A. Nuff said. :B):

3.)New Artstyle(probably similar to what Echoes has going for it). No offense, while I like the designs of Awakening and Fates, I'm dying for a new deaign style! Please!(I always like the realistic kinda look the Tellius games had!)

4.)Either have no MyUnit, or have a MyUnit that actually feels like a relateable person(a.k.a. Fix it). Do a better Robin. DO NOT DO ANOTHER CORRIN(because Corrin is the main reason I want them gone)!!! :angry:

5.)Gaiden Chapters. It'd be cool to experience extra chapters by meeting certain requirements again!

6.)Either have Bonus Experience or the chance to grind via a map.

7.)Either better Reclassing or get rid of it. I'm sorry, but I personally feel like this system is still pretty unbalanced and still a bit broken. I would like it if you had a limit on how many times a unit could reclass. Either 1 or 2 times. After that, you're stuck in that class line for the rest of that playthrough!

8.)Skills take a backseat like in previous games. I personally want Skills to go back to just being "helpers in a fight" then be "determiners in a fight", because I honestly feel like so many skills are somewhat OP(and/or are rather crippling), and with reclassing, you can stick a lot of those OP'ish skills on a lot of characters(possibly at the same time). In the Tellius games, while skills helped, you relied more on you're own power(stats) then skills(that and they didn't make things so complicated and turn a battle on a dime)!

9.)Units can premote either by a master seal or Level 21 like in the Tellius games. It'd make things move a bit smoother and not being unable to promote because a unit reaches Lvl.20 partway through the map and you have not seals.

10.) *Inhale* CHILL OUT WITH THE WAIFU STUFF! PLEASE! I know its unavoidable, but I don't want everything to be waifu central, ok? Awakening, it wasn't too bad. Fates, turned that dial WAAAY up! Keep that down a bit...please? For many people's sake...

11.)Bring durability back, but let weapons be restored like in FE4(it's a good system that I think should come back).

12.)Bring back the forge...a GOOD forge...like in the Tellius games(not what Awakening or especially what Fates brought us)!

1.)Agreeeeeed. I feel like a separate generation would be the only way for newer fans and veteran fans to agree on the child issue. FE4 did it the best, having originals and substitutes. While characterization was a problem at times (i.e. after you recruit Leen, she's doesn't have any dialogue until you recruit Corpul. Her substitute has more lines than her lol) So if they were able to blend FE4 with the modern style, it may work well.

2.) I can take em or leave em. If they're done well in Echoes, we'll see.

3.)Agreeed. Hidari rocks.

4.) The problem with My Unit is the pandering and the lack of choices. Pandering can be fixed with better writing, but IS needs to improve on the choices option. I felt like the "choices" we made in Awakening and Fates didn't make a difference and didn't impact the story or the characters in any way. 

5.)Agreed.

6.)I prefer bonus experience. I'm OK with map grinding, but it can take away from the game if you just power through everything without having much strategy involved. That being said, I would like more diverse battle objections and scenarios, such as being flanked.

7.)I agree with the limiting. I would go to other MyCastles and their characters seemed ridiculously broken. I was like "what are even caps anymore"

8.)I would need more specific examples. I liked how the Tellius games did it. Skills took up a certain capacity when they were assigned, so abilities can't be stacked so easily.

9.) I don't really see this as a problem.  It's just about planning ahead of time and is on the player to forsee. Or you can just refrain from using that character and use your other units that may need the exp more.

10.)There's no way they're getting rid of pairings. I think a part of the "waifu" subculture within the FE community contributes to their being a My Unit. So we may get less "meh waifu!!!!11" if we remove the Avatar unit. 

11.)I'd be OK with that.

12.)Good ol' Tellius forge to make powerful but not broken weapons. The Fates forge just went in the corner unused.

Yeah, can't really disagree with any of the 10. I was sort of lost on the new setting stuff because I didn't catch the references to other games (or anime? Both?). I'd only support the idea of a new setting if somebody came up with a better idea than what we have. I'm also troubled by suggestions for 3rd tier classes and the 50+ maps. I don't think people realize how large the 3DS games are already. The three Fates games on classic mode and stopping for just two or three child paralogues per game is as long as playing the GBA trilogy back to back. Granted your GBA trilogy romp will be more engaging, but I think the larger issue is how Fire Emblem games this long choose to allocate their side content. Side quests should serve primarily to expand on the world and characters, with or without a new character as a bonus gameplay incentive.

By choosing to place said chapters in a new world I don't feel like it added anything to the narrative. Awakening did this as well, even if they don't literally take place off-world, and I feel like the nonlinear gameplay was to blame. The main story was just too disconnected from the side stories, even if you played the side stories as soon as they appeared. 6 and 7's gaiden chapters skirted the issue most of the time as well - has anybody ever said no to "Accept sidequest?". If the conditions are met for a gaiden chapter, then by the rules of space and time, they need to happen, there should be no ambiguous prompt by the player. Example: By keeping Lilina alive in Chapter 8, are you really telling me there's a split in the timeline where she does and does not remind Roy to get Durandal before leaving Ostia? Also, Chapter 8x is so good in terms of world building and gameplay incentive that it should have been chapter 9.

I agree with most of the suggestions, but wouldn't mind if FE Switch took place in the same world as a previous FE.  My two top picks would be Magvel, since it's the only game so far that only has one game.  The second would be whatever you call the Fates continent, because I think it deserves some better world building; for one, they could actually give the continent a name.

8 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Yeah, can't really disagree with any of the 10. I was sort of lost on the new setting stuff because I didn't catch the references to other games (or anime? Both?). I'd only support the idea of a new setting if somebody came up with a better idea than what we have. I'm also troubled by suggestions for 3rd tier classes and the 50+ maps. I don't think people realize how large the 3DS games are already. The three Fates games on classic mode and stopping for just two or three child paralogues per game is as long as playing the GBA trilogy back to back. Granted your GBA trilogy romp will be more engaging, but I think the larger issue is how Fire Emblem games this long choose to allocate their side content. Side quests should serve primarily to expand on the world and characters, with or without a new character as a bonus gameplay incentive.

Fates ran about 30ish hours for each of the campaigns on Hard Classic for me(howlongtobeat seems to indicate that this is average). That's about on par with most FEs that aren't Radiant Dawn. While, yes, Fates as a whole could technically be called a ~100 hour game, fact is, the game separates the 3 campaigns entirely, effectively treating them as 3 separate games with their own stories.

One, single game that was 40-50 hours long, like Radiant Dawn is a completely different beast.

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I agree with most of the suggestions, but wouldn't mind if FE Switch took place in the same world as a previous FE.  My two top picks would be Magvel, since it's the only game so far that only has one game.  The second would be whatever you call the Fates continent, because I think it deserves some better world building; for one, they could actually give the continent a name.

I think the time for a Magvel sequel has passed, and it didn't do very good world building. Magvel could basically be summed up as "The most generic FE world ever BUT THERE'S MONSTERS!"

Of course, a sequel could give some world-building potential to it, but I don't think what we have right now is enough to build a second game on. FE4, FE6 and FE9 all gave pretty interesting backgrounds to their worlds that could be explored in other games, which they all got. FE1 had very, very simple world building, but there were still sequel hooks here and there.

Edited by Slumber

4 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I think the time for a Magvel sequel has passed, and it didn't do very good world building. Magvel could basically be summed up as "The most generic FE world ever BUT THERE'S MONSTERS!"

Of course, a sequel could give some world-building potential to it, but I don't think what we have right now is enough to build a second game on. FE4, FE6 and FE9 all gave pretty interesting backgrounds to their worlds that could be explored in other games, which they all got. FE1 had very, very simple world building, but there were still sequel hooks here and there.

Tellius definitely had a lot of hook, but I think if Binding Blade and FE1 could make second games, there's enough potential for a second game.

I could see your point about the long time gap, but SS seems to have had a resurgence in popularity, and it being the spiritual successor to Gaiden might help its case.

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Fates ran about 30ish hours for each of the campaigns on Hard Classic for me(howlongtobeat seems to indicate that this is average). That's about on par with most FEs that aren't Radiant Dawn. While, yes, Fates as a whole could technically be called a ~100 hour game, fact is, the game separates the 3 campaigns entirely, effectively treating them as 3 separate games with their own stories.

One, single game that was 40-50 hours long, like Radiant Dawn is a completely different beast.

I don't see what makes it different beyond forcing you to play each chapter. If RD was a 3DS game, chapters like 2-1 or 1-4 off the top of my head would totally have been rewritten as paralogues. While the finer details are spotty in the my head, RD had plenty of chapters that were only there to functionally drop off PoR cast into your party.

As for putting FE Switch in a previous setting, I don't want sequels, I'd prefer games of those juicy backstories alluded to in the openings. The Scouring, the first Exalt of Archanea, Anri's quest, the war Lyon is talking about where all of Magvel was fighting demons together, these all sounded pretty cool, if not for the cool legendary weapons that came from those eras. But the real trouble with returning to Magvel, Elibe, Judgral, or wherever is that the writers of those games probably don't still write Fire Emblem. So now there's a struggle with trying to recreate their original vision. I'm not a writer, but I'd imagine being told to write essentially fan fiction would feel pretty restrictive. Even moreso when you're working with a team of writers all with their own interpretations of the source material.

The video provides a pretty solid list, better than I expected. Honestly, I fully expected that last one to be "no avatar," which I don't agree with, but I completely agree with not being like Awakening for the sake of it.

The one thing I don't really follow, though I'm not against it, is 3rd tiers. People always say they want these back and I don't really understand why. It was superfluous as it was in Radiant Dawn since a grand total of 10 units - yes, only 10 out of 50+ units - actually went through three classes. It was more like a glorified trainee system back from Sacred Stones.

I agree with all of the original points (I see you're largely looking to deviate from the new trends established in awaking and fates, which I am a fan of). There is one thing I would add to the list though, which is a dynamic main character, but not a noble. I loved how Ike was not actually a lord in the beginning, and that made him so much more relatable... until you realized he was an "I fight for my friends and alway do the right thing" kind of character. I would love someone similar to Ike, just with more character flaws, maybe who does something wrong at some point in the game lol.

Honestly third tiers were part of why FE10's availability balancing felt so off imo, so I can't say I'd like them back.  The Dawn Brigade has more chapters, but not very many more, and many of them have to start as tier 1's.  Meanwhile, the Greil Mercs were fine with their slightly smaller amount since they were all prepromotes to ensure the third tier was attainable.

So... yeah, that's my hostile opinion on that...

Anyway, for me:

- No Avatar, please.  IS does much better when the protagonist isn't someone they feel obligated to worship.

- Good Archers.

- DIVERSIFY MAGIC.  Merging all magic (except Staves) into one weapon rank was a major step backward, as was putting it in just one spot in the weapon triangle.  If physical weapons can have diverse classes, I see no reason Magic can't too.  And speaking of the weapon triangle...

- Heroes Weapon Triangle.  I suggested lying a magic triangle atop the weapon one before, and they actually did it in Heroes (lying Fire beats Wind beats Thunder beats fire atop sword beats axe beats lance beats sword).  Though what I suggested before was using the GBA magic triangle, I have no problems with the use of Jugdral/Tellius's one instead.  Oh, and speaking of Heroes:

- Heroes SP based skill system, aside from weapons/staves being tied to it.  I like this system quite a bit.  It makes skills be tied to character instead of class while still requiring skills be earned.

- Remove Reclassing.  I like it when my units are more set in stone.  This is more just personal preference, than anything, really.

- Can we name the continent at least?  Please?

- If Children must return, Arvis better be getting his grill ready.  In other words, children should bring time skips please.

- Don't dump a ton of exposition in one character, or dump it all at once.

We don't need any more of this guy:

SK4zkLU.png

- Discard Pair up.  Again, preference.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

1 hour ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Honestly third tiers were part of why FE10's availability balancing felt so off imo, so I can't say I'd like them back.  The Dawn Brigade has more chapters, but not very many more, and many of them have to start as tier 1's.  Meanwhile, the Greil Mercs were fine with their slightly smaller amount since they were all prepromotes to ensure the third tier was attainable.

So... yeah, that's my hostile opinion on that...

Anyway, for me:

- No Avatar, please.  IS does much better when the protagonist isn't someone they feel obligated to worship.

- Good Archers.

- DIVERSIFY MAGIC.  Merging all magic (except Staves) into one weapon rank was a major step backward, as was putting it in just one spot in the weapon triangle.  If physical weapons can have diverse classes, I see no reason Magic can't too.  And speaking of the weapon triangle...

- Heroes Weapon Triangle.  I suggested lying a magic triangle atop the weapon one before, and they actually did it in Heroes (lying Fire beats Wind beats Thunder beats fire atop sword beats axe beats lance beats sword).  Though what I suggested before was using the GBA magic triangle, I have no problems with the use of Jugdral/Tellius's one instead.  Oh, and speaking of Heroes:

- Heroes SP based skill system, aside from weapons/staves being tied to it.  I like this system quite a bit.  It makes skills be tied to character instead of class while still requiring skills be earned.

- Remove Reclassing.  I like it when my units are more set in stone.  This is more just personal preference, than anything, really.

- Can we name the continent at least?  Please?

- If Children must return, Arvis better be getting his grill ready.  In other words, children should bring time skips please.

- Don't dump a ton of exposition in one character, or dump it all at once.

We don't need any more of this guy:

SK4zkLU.png

- Discard Pair up.  Again, preference.

Good Archers AND Dark Mages(and kinda mages in general). Seriously, I've only played Conquest, but magic units are...rather lackluster. They're still alright, but I feel like they got butchered in the stats department. It sucks even more since Dark Mages, my favorite magic class, feels so fragile throughout the game(I don't even think Normal Mages were this Fragile in previous games). Maybe because I mainly use Nyx, but the point still stands that...they don't hold such as a high candle to previous Dark Mages(which is sad considering the small number there are in the series as a whole).

And yes, Archers too. I actually didn't use Niles and got Anna instead early on. She's good, but..eh...she's kinda squishy(and kinda has low health).

Magic Diversity is a big YES! I miss all my mage types...:cry:(it also made each master of those types branch out. Dark Mages being slow, but bulky. Light mages being fast, but squishy. And the element mages being affected in different ways)

I do hope the magic triangle comes back too, and I mean the Tellius(and kinda the GBA) one.

Fire>Thunder>Wind>Fire / Light>Dark>Elements>Light

If they can have the weapon triangle they have now, they can bring that back. Although the one in heroes is pretty alright too! :^_^:

Also, along with that, can we pull a Radiant Dawn and switch a Wyvern Riders weakness from arrows to Thunder magic? It makes more sense in my book(and makes them feel less squishy since arrows makes them look as weak as Pegasus Knights, which they're suppose to be stronger then! I mean come on, they're more like miniature dragons, and I doubt they would take such big damage from an arrow! It still amazes me how easy they go down like Pegasus Knights when an arrow comes their way)!

Bit of a preference, but can we have the ability to hold 8 items again(Like RD)? It's quite convenient and it makes it easier to hold healing items(since the weapons I like on a character take up pretty much all the spots).

And healing items. Raise the number of uses back up please.

The SP system would be cool to try out in a main game! It might even fix the issues I have with skills(and reclassing to a certain extent) as of now...speaking of which...

If we keep some of the skills going forward, I feel like some should be nerfed a bit(or be rid of). 

Reclassing should be limited somehow or just gone.

You know, it's gonna be weird trying to address Fates since almost every game has a continent name except Fates(and it'd be cruel if someone played a game and had to remember the names of all of them...only to forget there is no name for Fates's continent :sweatdrop:)... Seeing how you can address a FE game in 3 ways:

Game number, Subtitle(full or abbreviated), or continent.

...we need names for continents(...I still don't know how they forgot to add that for Fates...)

(Don't quote me on this, but...)I think supports affect pair-up, even when not paired up(and if not, it was probably just Awakening). If they get rid of pair-up, I feel like they should make it so that supports are some what affected. Like not being able with EVERYONE IN THE ARMY. That way, you don't get too many buffs from supports and the writing could probably actually improve! Just make a hybrid of the support system from new to old. You can support with all the people you can support with(about 3-5 people is average for most people), but only x5 of those conversations will affect you. Oh yeah...

Affinity. Bring that back please. I want Earth Affinity back so I can make units better dodgers again! :P: