Meg Topic

I decided to use Meg on my third playthrough, and much to my surprise, she owned once she was on level with my other guys. She did get spoon-fed all the enemies in the chapter she joined, however. I'm definitly going to use her more often now.

As a bonus, I'm not one of the people who thinks she's ugly. I don't find her hot, though she's cute in her own way.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Eddie for my sword issues because I like SM's and she doesn't look good, IMO. Yes, I do use characters based on how they look sometimes

I think she's great. Her bases are phenomenal for a level 3 unit. Her strength and defense can be a bit spotty, but everything else is pretty much fantastic.

Side note: If you max her defense and have her wield the Alondite, she has more defense than any other Beorc Unit can possibly get. I think it's 41 (max at 36 + 5 from the sword). She lays some serious hurt on guys.

There really aren't any bad units in the Dawn Brigade. Meg takes some babying for a stage or two to catch up but that's nothing the FE series hasn't thrown at us before. Even Fiona doesn't turn out bad, but she's too difficult to raise to be worth it.

For easy mode she is not a pain to level up for me.

On normal or hard mode forget it, she is a pain to level up. Though she turns out good if you manage to level her up to level twenty.

Edited by Luxord

For the same amount of effort you put into leveling Meg, you can get more out of someone else. Low move, bad caps (spends 90% of 2nd tier with capped speed... ouch. And you can't even use that for bexp "abuse" since nothing else is anywhere near capping), meh-bad affinity, poor start. She's not "bad" since she has pretty decent str/def once you get her up to a high level; she's just not as good as most of the rest of the cast.

Edited by Reikken

Her caps are just fine. There's a whole 2 classes that are fast enough to double-attack even the generals you fight end-game. I'm totally fine with a character hitting their cap early because of a growth that's not usually in their class.

When you compare her to the other DB units, she's so equal to most of them that it's kind of a moot point. Her strength will probably cap if you use even the slightest bit of bonus experience to gain her levels towards the end of any given tier, and she has full weapon triangle coverage end-game.

It's always a give and take and saying that someone is just WORSE than someone else when they both clearly have distinct strengths and weaknesses is simply a bad idea.

Her caps are just fine. There's a whole 2 classes that are fast enough to double-attack even the generals you fight end-game.

wut? Even Meg's cap is high enough to double attack those things (in E-1). They have 25-27 spd. Not very many 25s iirc. More 27s than anything.

Reaching her cap before you get to E-1 can be a problem, though. Since she starts at 24 spd 3rd tier.

IIRC, other non-general/mage beorc in endgame have 28-29 spd, except the swordmasters, which have... 33? Something like that. Most classes can double-attack non-swordmasters. Only armors, mages, and male paladins and dragonlords run into trouble there. And tigers and dragons.

Seraph knights, sentinels, reavers, marksmen, trueblades, female paladins and dragonlords, whispers, hawks, ravens, wolves, and cats are all fine (as far as class limits go). And I probably missed quite a few.

Most spirits have 30 spd, so male sentinels and a few paladins get bumped out for that. The rest are still fine.

Oh yeah, fire sages have a max of 35 spd with Rexflame, so they're better off than the other magic doods in that regard.

Anyway, notice my emphasis was on tier 2 spd cap. This severely limits her spd at tier 2, and, as previously mentioned, gives her low spd going into tier 3. This makes it harder for her to double attack all throughout part 4.

EDIT:

It's always a give and take and saying that someone is just WORSE than someone else when they both clearly have distinct strengths and weaknesses is simply a bad idea.

Do something like comparing Meg and Nolan. Nolan wins or ties in every area except concrete durability vs magic at high levels. And he crushes her in avoid, so he still wins overall durability vs magic in most cases. That's a pretty clear comparison.

Some comparisons do have units comparing with distinct strengths and weaknesses, but some don't. And even when they do, very often, one has many more strengths and fewer weaknesses than the other, making one overall better than the other.

Edited by Reikken

Who cares about double-attacking the super slow enemies in part 4? Most of them are there just to give you experience anyway because they shouldn't be a threat by then. I'm talking enemies that are actually a threat, like the spirits and Lehran/Ashera.

Read the whole post... I did mention spirits. I did edit my post, but the part about spirits was well before you posted. The last edit was also before you posted.

And your comment was on generals, so of course I mentioned them first.

Lehran and Ashera are only two enemies. My "who cares?" goes to that.

Edited by Reikken

Uh.. no. Red/White Tide takes care of those two noobs. They exist only one at a time, and they don't move. So you can set up and focus-fire them. (Lehran sorta-kinda moves, but not really. He doesn't attack when he moves, and only goes to a set location. And he can't counterattack for the following player phase). I build my team for the other 400 turns in the game, not 3 turns near the end.

Edited by Reikken

Every FE game is easy if you don't care how long you take.

RD on hard is somewhat challenging if you're trying to win fairly quickly.

I'm referring number of turns more than minutes and seconds, but going quickly in real time would also certainly make it harder.

Edited by Reikken

RD is the hardest released in America, though it's only really difficult at all the first time through. It's much easier when you know how the game works and you have some experience.

Meg is good, but she's not great. Like Reikken said, her tier 2 speed cap is just awful.

I have a much harder time with FE7 still than with FE10. Granted, I've only bothered to beat it all the way once on each mode and on each difficulty so I don't know the ins and outs as well, but generally speaking, you're more likely to get stat-screwed on units. Path of Radiance was pathetically easy and RD, while it had some learning curves, is pretty much the easiest one out there once you realize you can only bring 10 people to the end of the game with you.

I'll give you that Hard Mode on FE10 is a bitch, though. Removing the weapon triangle hurts the guys in the hardest part of the game pretty badly (which is to say Part 1).

Even on Hector hard mode, FE7's enemies have terrible stats after the first few chapters because their levels almost don't go up at all. You're fighting lv 8s when your units are promoting, and lv 15s when you're approaching endgame. The only thing that makes that game hard is trying to S-rank it.

Well, I consider a FE game "hard" when I have trouble keeping everyone alive. There are a lot of Fog of War maps, which tend to hurt me a lot because I don't know enemy spawns very well.

There's also a lot of junk units in FE7 while there aren't a whole lot of them in FE10. I can understand the case against Meg, and make a case against Lyre, Fiona, and Gareth, but there isn't a single other unit in the entire game that's a liability to use assuming you start using them lots right away. People can make a case for Astrid but she's the ONLY person in Part 2-2 that can gain more than 3 or 4 experience at a time and therefore should be the one you try and get the majority of the kills with. She can catch up with just that map, and if you do that, she'll be great the rest of the game.

Even Tormod and his two Laguz buddies are usable when they rejoin. You'll have to baby the hell out of him to have him catch up to your other Sages, but Rexflame is easily the best SS rank magic tome in the game so it's worth it.

I think FE10 is only satisfying if you use the units that actually require a bit of strategy to raise because they hand you a large cast of simply stunningly overpowered units.