Should supports end in marriage?

Should supports end in marriage?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Should supports end in marriage?

• Yes, they should
    • Only some should
    • None should

If the situation fits, then of course.

However, they really need to bring back the kind of variety that older games had. Human relationships can go in so many directions, and I feel like supports in previous games did a great job with that.

You've got the continued friendship between characters like Kent/Sain and Kyle/Forde. There's the master and protogee relationship of Dussell/Amelia. Heck, there's even paired endings like Renault/Isadora that don't have a hint of romance and barely even friendship.

I feel like bringing back variety like this would help out with the characters rather than shoehorning a "marry anyone" deal where I think there's less development. Seriously, a good chunk of Fates supports felt like they didn't need to happen.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only canonical pairings should get married. Anything else would be leading down a path that Fire Emblem should never venture down again. I would rather have a smaller fanbase than a fanbase of shipping units together.

I want to assume the game's gonna add an extra section to the end of the game where you get to control all of Alm/Celica's party for a short time, which is where the dlc content and extra dungeons will probably take place.

With that assumption out of the way, I'll start by saying that marriage, and supports in general, could be nice to see in Echoes, but ONLY if it acts in the same way the GBA games did it. Map based conversations, marriage happening after the game ends, and definitely no kids (not that I terribly mind kids in Awakening/Fates, but we've had it for two games now, and if a Genealogy remake is arriving someday, that'll use the kid gimmick as well. I just don't want it to burn me out). The only reason I have for thinking they'll create some final "True" ending chapter is because I know IS wants to push Alm x Celica, but they can't really do that unless they get some time together outside of some cutscenes, amongst other things.

The only supports I actually really wanna see are Gray/Tobin, Clive/Clair, Valbar/Leon, and Saber/Genny.

PS. I know it's off topic, but I just wanted to put my 2 cents on Soleil.

Spoiler

Being an Olivia-lover like myself gives me a connection of sorts to Soleil, and that meant I tried to find any means necessary to combat anyone who badmouthed her all those months ago, regardless if I made any of my thoughts public or not. People think what they want, and I can't make people think differently, so at the end of the day, I realized it was pointless to use any of the connections I had made to prove any point at all, and because it's been so long, I forget most of the points I had made to begin with. I think Soleil is an interesting character, through and through, and, in my opinion, the changes made to her in the English version actually made me find her even more endearing. Her orientation is such a minuscule part of her character when you look at the big picture, it's exhausting to see how many people make that out to be all she is. Regardless of whether or not you view her as lesbian, bisexual, or straight, she was never intended, in my mind, to be viewed as such in a major way. Her feelings towards her sexuality were meant to be a stark extension of Laslow's personality, same as Ophelia's hyperbolic version of Odin's, nothing more. Her real, intended personality, was her morale-boosting ability, her carefree nature, and her strong will, with the liking girls/cute things aspect being relegated to her "gimmick". But, like always, the majority focus on a minority and blow things out of proportion. That said, I greatly enjoy her representation in Fates, both Jp and Eng versions, and I love her voices in both. I don't care what she does in bed with someone she loves as long as she's happy, but saying that just shows my papa-bear status I hold towards my FE famjam. I'm sorry for writing so much, and it ended up being wholly pointless, just as I expected.

tl;dr - Soleil's nice and I like her.