Heroes makes an awful lot of emphasis on countering, wouldn't you say?

Junkhead

Countering, as in, to counter (aka not the skill itself). Rock-Paper-Scisors. Roughly the usual, minus the fact that it seems to make a lot more of a difference here. 

Do you agree with this?

Yes, also classes are no longer a thing. It's not uncommon to see a Pegasus Knight with as much DEF as a friggin' Paladin or Knight. This is done to make sure that every hero is viable, but it does make every hero feel samey.

Combined with the greater counter bonuses, combat is very streamlined when compared to the main FE titles. This is why I'm hardline against incorporating any of Heroes's mechanics into the main games. :mellow:

Still fun and addictive to play, though. There's just enough Fire Emblem in there to make it shine.

They removed the ability to evade attacks (and critical hit chances) so that individual encounters are not governed by chance.

Since the main series' weapon triangle revolved more around evasion than damage, the removal of evasion entirely means that damage mitigation through the weapon triangle needed to be implemented as a modifier to actual damage.

The biggest change from the main series games is the fact that, due to player characters usually having high Skill, Speed, or access to high-accuracy weapons to mitigate the accuracy penalty in the main series games, it's harder to negate a disadvantage in Heroes.

Edited by Ice Dragon

40 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

They removed the ability to evade attacks (and critical hit chances) so that individual encounters are not governed by chance.

Since the main series' weapon triangle revolved more around evasion than damage, the removal of evasion entirely means that damage mitigation through the weapon triangle needed to be implemented as a modifier to actual damage.

The biggest change from the main series games is the fact that, due to player characters usually having high Skill, Speed, or access to high-accuracy weapons to mitigate the accuracy penalty in the main series games, it's harder to negate a disadvantage in Heroes.

Pretty much this. In the main series, even at a disadvantage, your unit in question was almost never utterly useless against the enemy simply due to the RNG and random stat gains, and a disadvantaged unit could win against an advantaged one, even if the fight was a more difficult one and/or they relied on a lucky crit or skill activation to win.

In Heroes, due to damage mitigation, non-random skills, and a few other factors, there are certain characters who literally never win a straight one-on-one duel against units that they're disadvantaged against due not only to fixed stats, but the much more prominent role of weapon advantage in deciding a fight.

It took the rock-paper-scissors mechanic of the main series, and hyper-exaggerated it, in other words.

Edited by Extrasolar

To me fire emblem was always a numbers game so you can hypothetically predict the possible outcomes of every battle based on the movement to each space. The thing that makes heroes different is the miss and crits. I miss both of them because now I can't hope for a critical on a match might lose :(:

3 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

To me fire emblem was always a numbers game so you can hypothetically predict the possible outcomes of every battle based on the movement to each space. The thing that makes heroes different is the miss and crits. I miss both of them because now I can't hope for a critical on a match might lose :(:

On the flipside, can you imagine how frustrating it would be if you broke your Arena streak from missing an attack you had a high chance to hit?

7 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

On the flipside, can you imagine how frustrating it would be if you broke your Arena streak from missing an attack you had a high chance to hit?

Psh, I probably would have lost anyway XD. That would be annoying though.

3 hours ago, Soul~! said:

Paladin wut is that.

Is that a Green Cavalier.

Spoiler

Good old, Ultima IX.

3 hours ago, FangXV said:

Yes, also classes are no longer a thing. It's not uncommon to see a Pegasus Knight with as much DEF as a friggin' Paladin or Knight. This is done to make sure that every hero is viable, but it does make every hero feel samey.

Combined with the greater counter bonuses, combat is very streamlined when compared to the main FE titles. This is why I'm hardline against incorporating any of Heroes's mechanics into the main games. :mellow:

Still fun and addictive to play, though. There's just enough Fire Emblem in there to make it shine.

I wish they would at least keep it consistent with the generic enemies.  Since all flyers are essentially one class, not they could make the high-def ones Wyvern Riders.