Guy

Raven

Talk of Guy goes in here. Anything goes. That also includes personal experiences.

Here's mine:

Guy is great, in the normal modes and EHM. He's able to one-round alot of units for a long time.

But, from personal experience, he is not so great in HHM. He is great until the early 20 chapters. That's when the enemies defenses are rising faster than Guy's strength, which is bad. He was not able to one round anything unless they were a magic unit, or he managed to pull off a critical with the ~30% crit rate he often had. I see this as unreliable, and to constantly have his supports close by just so he can have a higher crit rate seems more of a hindrance than a help. Other units are one-rounding enemies without supports, and pwning anything with supports in range, while Guy needs his supports and a Killing Edge for a better chance to pull a critical and one-round anything. To me, he begins to become a hindrance in the second half of HHM, just after the first time you visit the Dragon's Gate, and so I drop him. Any other mode, he is a great help for practically the whole game, but I don't think that HHM is the place for Guy. Not with his 30% Str growth rate. He just can't keep up, not without his Killing Edge and supports, which he heavily relies on for a good chance of owning a HHM enemy.

Opinions? Who agrees? Who doesn't? Let's hear it all.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that's Guy's fault though. I mean, Hard Hard Mode (HHM) is Hard Hard Mode for a reason. You might just have to put his supports and give him a killing edge in order to make use of him.

Sure it's not very reliable of him, but you can't really hold it against him. At least he survives. Unless of course he doesn't survive.

Then there are a couple of things that may have occured.

1. His other stats got screwed.

2. He is massively underleveled.

3. Your Lyn is massively blessed.

Then there are a couple of things that may have occured.

1. His other stats got screwed.

2. He is massively underleveled.

3. Your Lyn is massively blessed.

1. His skill and speed are very blessed, his others are around average.

2. He's the same level as everyone else who isn't mounted. I take that back, only Lyn and Florina are at higher levels, and only by one or two. He's higher than Matthew and Raven in level, on par with Kent, Sain, Rebecca, Hector, and Eliwood.

3. She has about the same blessings as he does, but Florina support makes her awesome.

On the matter of getting Str screwed: From memory (my cartridge data was deleted some time ago), Guy was Lv20/6, and had just 11 Str; a whole negative 3.6 screwed. He really struggled... I remember how he grew to Lv7 and still Str was getting screwed over, so I finally ditched him. Less units on the field, but at least they all grew faster, taking the experience that Guy would have gotten, and doing a faster job of it all too. Had he at least stuck to his average Str, I would have probably kept him.

Guy has always turned out fine for me. Though I never played Manic Mode so I cannot say really.

I played Hectors Hard mode, and Guy has always been one of my strongest characters.

That's because Guy is one of the best characters in HHM.

With 30% Str growth rate, he has more of a chance of getting screwed than blessed, which is a shame.

Averages please.

Guy is a Top Tier monster. Huge offense from epic supports, the highest Critical in the game, and is incredibly useful from the start. Definately one of the best characters in the game.

That's because Guy is one of the best characters in HHM.

Subjective

Averages please.

Guy is a Top Tier monster. Huge offense from epic supports, the highest Critical in the game, and is incredibly useful from the start. Definately one of the best characters in the game.

It's more mathematical. 30% means a screwing is more likely than a blessing, just like a 70% means a blessing is more likely than a screwing. This is because the games system doesn't work the way averages do.

His Skill and Speed are awesome anyway. And I'd like some proof, by the way.

I believe Fox, anyway. She wouldn't lie about something like that.

@Swordsalmon: I'm going by my own experience here: As I stated, anything goes. Including personal experiences... It's tough if you don't like it. I'll accept your opinion (or "fact", as you like to call it), so you should accept mine.

It's more mathematical. 30% means a screwing is more likely than a blessing, just like a 70% means a blessing is more likely than a screwing. This is because the games system doesn't work the way averages do.

Averages have everything to do with the probability of a stat rising. I have the feeling that you people don't know how probability works. The chance of getting screwed or blessed has no effect on the averages at all.

Averages have everything to do with the probability of a stat rising. I have the feeling that you people don't know how probability works. The chance of getting screwed or blessed has no effect on the averages at all.

I don't think you understood me. Averages work with the stat "rising" by the growth% every level. 30% would mean gaining a level a bit fewer than every 3 levels. But the game doesn't do that. Every level, you still have only a 30% chance to grow in that stat, so you more likely won't get it. You can easily go 5+ levels without ever gaining it, which is much more likely than gaining it in every one of those levels, or even in 3 or 4 of them. Thus, a screwing is more likely than a blessing.

Though I do dislike Guy because of his Con. He's actually the best Swordmaster in this game. His lack of Con doesn't really matter since he can surpass Karel and Karla. Guy will have more base Str and he gets +5 Attack from supports if you include the HHM bonus.

No, the game doesn't work like that indeed. You can go 7 levels or so without gaining it, but the chance of that actually happening is ~8%, or in other words, very small. This is why we calculate averages to measure a unit's stats at certain levels. Then those averages are rounded to the nearest number in comparisons.

The probability of a screwing and or a blessing has no effect on it (again).

If something has 25% chance of raising per level-up, it is not definite that the stat will be raised on the fourth, or even during one of the four level-ups. It's RNG, and there's so many different factors relying on the RNG, it is actually quite possible to get screwed over, quite easily. Raven's defense is an example of that.

The chance of gaining it on the fourth is higher than not gaining it on the fourth.

0.75 ^ 3 * 0.25 ~ 11%

0.75 ^ 4 ~ 31%

But don't forget that you have four levels, so you do 11 * 4, which results in a 44% chance to gain one point in the stat, as opposed to a 31% chance to not gain a point in that same stat. The character is more probably to gain the stat than not.

I don't think you understood me. Averages work with the stat "rising" by the growth% every level. 30% would mean gaining a level a bit fewer than every 3 levels. But the game doesn't do that. Every level, you still have only a 30% chance to grow in that stat, so you more likely won't get it. You can easily go 5+ levels without ever gaining it, which is much more likely than gaining it in every one of those levels, or even in 3 or 4 of them. Thus, a screwing is more likely than a blessing.

A screwing is indeed more likely than a blessing, but it's only by about 2%. (and it's countered by blessings tending to be slightly more extreme than screwings)

You're more likely to not get a + on a level up... but that fact is already reflected in the average for a 30% growth stat being lower than the average for a 60% or whatever else.