Super Robot Wars ∀: Deep Space IC Thread - Part 2: Of Dire Tides

Xinnidy

Compliance

"... F-Fine..." Hannah let Firmia down, clearly disappointed, looking at Brant, before noticing Elaine coming up on them. She had distress written all over her face as well, but if what Firmia was saying was important, she couldn't sit around to hear it. "We should discuss things in the Reign, though, Firmia. The Mantle is likely receiving repairs from the damage it took during the battle, as well as refueling. It wouldn't do to interrupt any work being done on it... And as far as I am aware, the Reign is doing nothing but sitting there." As long as she could lock it down like she could the Mantle, things would be fine. Galatea had a small backup in Hannah's head that melded data gained when she plugged back into the Mantle, so she'd get an update on this anyway, even if she wasn't there.

"And, Brant... You should speak your mind more. Maybe I am just... Overly worried. You simply seem quiet. Too quiet, for all of this." Maybe he just had too much on his mind, but he was important, too. He could weigh in on things. "To the hangar then, Firmia." Hannah wasn't about to stand about and wait, if this was a necessary talk, it was happening sooner than later.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firmia hadn't been sure Hannah would budge, at first. They could have been in that hallway for a long time as far as she was concerned .... Thankfully, Hannah did let her down, and as soon as she did, Firmia started for the elevators. She could sense the fear from Elaine like a big signal flare, but chalked it up to the mole situation. Maybe she was the mole, come to think of it. Maybe having Chris point out that at least one of the spies was in the meeting room with them had her too nervous to hide her feelings. Regardless, Firmia couldn't deal with that right now. Every ounce of willpower she had left was committed to maintaining a stoic outer shell. If Elaine was one of the moles they were looking for, she wasn't going to take action right this minute, and she seemed too frightened for any complicated schemes, so Brant should be fine.

As for the Reign, Firmia liked the idea of dealing with Sasha and the doctor even less than Galatea's brand of commentary. Still, Hannah had a point. Stalling on or otherwise impeding repairs was a bad idea with how often they ran into trouble. The Regalia was also getting some very minor repairs, so it was better not to lock the entire suit down like she had been planning to do with the Mantle.

Normally Brant would have only picked up on how out of sorts Elaine was thanks to her body language and the way she was addressing him. Once he noticed the surface indicators though, he opened himself up more to try and sense if it was something more serious. Whatever the issue was, it didn't seem to have anything to do with him. That just seemed to be the pretext. The best Brant could figure from his initial impression was that she wanted to bring up a problem she was having and didn't want to raise any alarms. Fair enough. "Sure," Brant shrugged. He managed a smile again, but it was a worried one. The whole situation was messed up. The Sacarians, Chris' predicament, the other clones, Nikolai, the Kremlin. Brant was more interested in the last one, but Firmia had already given him some errands to run, so trying to tag along with her and Hannah would just get him chased off.

Actually ...

It was a little strange that Firmia wanted to talk to Hannah, specifically. Brant didn't think much of it at first, but judging by their interactions, he'd thought she'd rather talk to him or even Tonya about something that was bothering her. This was frankly ... a little weird.

Speaking of Hannah, she left Brant with a suggestion before leaving for the elevators with Firmia, one he wasn't sure he had any business following. Enough people spoke out around here and good things rarely came of it. What business did he have complaining about his role in all of this? As someone who could still carry a gun and fight, he had to push back against Apotheosis' onslaught. Brant supposed he was more than just complaints and piloting skills, but things usually worked out just fine with him sticking to what he knew. Yes, it was going to be much more difficult going forward, knowing about Chris and her sisters, but that was his problem.

"We should probably take a separate lift to the hangar," Brant said, motioning for Elaine to follow once Firmia and Hannah were at a comfortable distance.

Whew. That Elaine sure made herself known. Spying on them? Was this about that mole she heard from small whispers on the ship here and there? Ya know when Aliza came onto the ship she thought they meant some kind of facial mole as a joke. She sort of wished it was because man did the air get tense in that room. She thanked the stars the meeting was brought to an end, as soon as it was she got the hell out of dodge. With her notebook to her chest she took a slight sigh. 'Man Elaine really lost it in there...she really needs to get laid...' Wasn't gonna be her that's for sure. She had another person in mind.

No not to do THAT, she had to work up to it. But either way the person in mind wasn't too far from her. She took a look over at the hall toward the infirmary and saw a familiar face. With a wide grin she knew what had to be done... "Aaaaabbyyyyyyyyy~" She called out as she slipped on through toward her friend a bit quick, carrying her usual wide smile. "Hm, sure was thick as a fog in there wasn't it. Kinda sucks every meeting has to be that tense. I mean I know we're in a war but still..." She laughed a bit nervous trying to break the air. "Anywho...how're you holding up after that fight?"

Nikolai opened his functioning eye a little more, barely capable of opening the slit of light more than a few pathetic milimetres. He felt vulnerable, his senses dulled by the heavy medical fog, by the fluid submerging him, by the cocoon of scar tissue and raw meat that was his body. In the blurry haze in front of him, he recognised figure in a white coat, a doctor, and someone else, someone smaller. Two shapes in the blooming bright light. Both strangely alien to him, but still familiar enough to be slightly comforting. His memories were still far away, misty and blurred as though they were being viewed through a curtain of tears.

It can't be hell (not yet).
The doctor (an ally?). The ship (home?). Then that must be...
A Friend Of Mine. I was protecting him.
I am glad. I am afraid. I am glad. I am wrong.

The smaller figure's body language seemed simultaneously childlike and rigid. A tiny soldier made of tin, gears turning little mechanisms that made it walk and shoot like a real soldier. Similar to him and yet, different too. Nikolai wanted to reach out and touch them, the creatures on the other side of the fishtank. His friend, who seemed so small from so far away.

He could not. His arms were still too cumbersome, too heavy, to weighed down with pain that streaked across nerves and etched new grooves and canyons into his form.
Instead he slowly shook his head in a laboured movement, his chest still heaving with every breath as he tried to accompany the movement with an affirmation, only to let out another strange inhuman whimper instead.

Not dead.
Not certain.
Not the dirt.

Astin headed down the hallway, hurrying towards the office. The door was shut, but that didn't mean anything. Knocking, they took a step back to wait. Nothing. Knocking again. Still nothing. Was she not in? Where else would she be? Ugh.... Fine. It's fine. I don't need to talk to her. I'll be ok... Pacing away from the door, they glanced back once more hopefully, but still no response.

Heading back to their room, they flopped down onto the beanbag with a sigh. The situation seemed almost hopeless. The information revealed had thrown things into chaos. No clear path had been established but that didn't offset the worries. Just... focus on something else. There's nothing else to do here. Just focus on... someone else... Glancing around their room, they shot off a quick message to Avery.

Hey, want to meet up in my room tonight? Figure I've seen yours, you may as well see mine, right?

Pushing themselves up from the beanbag with a groan, they began picking up the few things from the floor. This was good. Something to focus on, at least for a little bit, that wasn't the whole mole situation. This is what they needed. Maybe even they could have a small conversation with Avery now too. Or maybe she'd have something they could help with in the hangar. Anything besides sitting in their room alone with their thoughts right now.

Hangar Hangup

Heading out of the meeting room, it didn't take long to spot Abby-- she was right across the hall! But... That new girl was already talking to her. Jess didn't really want to get in the way of Abigail making friends on the boat, so with a small sigh, she turned towards the hallway. "Wonder what we can use those parts on, anyway..." Surely the boosters would be put to good use, and if there was any other tech they could salvage from the legs, they would... Jess quietly lamented getting away with the bottom half of the robot. Most of the cool stuff, to her understanding, was in the torso. This was just... a nice present, rather than a complete victory.

"Oh well... Something to go over, at least."

Meeting Later

Astin's message was received and responded to with a 'sure thing, darling', before Avery went back to work on the machines hanging around... Man, she still really wanted to get into those alkaev machines, but there was no way to do so without the squirt's permission. With a sigh, she looked over the damage done to the Ceres, It seemed pretty cosmetic at a glance. Some minor damage done to the plating, and the cracked ones would need to be replaced, but this was far from the worst state that Astin has showed up in. A good thing for her, and for the rest of the mechanics.

What had really taken damage was the Umbra... What was left of it. The torso had been nearly entirely melted, the laser that had hit it frying the shield systems and making those useless. If they ever managed to fix it, it would need an entire overhaul... "That's what we can use those legs for..." Avery smiled, getting a few ideas already.

Are You Okay

Firmia had headed off without a word, Hannah easily keeping pace with her as Brant stayed behind a moment with Elaine. She never took her eyes off of the Alkaev though. Seeing her like this, even more closed off than before, was incredibly distressing. Their quiet elevator ride down to the hangar made her even more worried, expecting a peep or something out of Firmia, and as they stepped into the hangar, Hannah couldn't hold her worries in anymore. "Are you gonna be okay, Firmia?" She'd taken a moment to stop moving, nervously wrestling one hand with the other.

"You're one of the first friends I have made on this ship, along with Brant, Thorvald and Tarquin. Even if you do not consider yourself as such back, I... I really, just want to see you happy, Firmia. You are always so stressed with weights of worries and issues, and I do not know if any of us can help you relax. It is wracking my processors, is there truly no answer? I... I hate this..."

"Yeah. Yeah, good idea." Elaine quickly walked over to a free elevator across the hallway, and hit the button to open up the doors, which thankfully didn't take long. Elaine went in first, and she let Brant follow. The doors closed, but Elaine didn't immediately hit the button to go down to the hangar floor. This was it. This was the person she would choose to share everything with. And no matter what was going to happen...She needed to let it all out. Her eyes darted back and forth between the doors to the elevator and Brant, and before he made a move to press anything, she spoke.

"I knew...About the moles." That was it? Those were her first words? Well, now she had to run with it. "I've known about the for a while now. At least one. Ever since after the meeting of the day we rescued Firmia, I...I..." She was on the verge of hyper-ventilating. Of breaking down. But she couldn't stop now. She had to say everything or else she would look far worse...Or maybe she would look terrible regardless. Her next words were quick. Quicker than she's ever spoken before.

"I'm being blackmailed. Ever since the meeting when I punched Nikolai, I've been blackmailed. I was contacted by a lieutenant of Apotheosis when I got back to my room, saying that they wanted me to join, and taunting me about how the ANF was going to blow up my home, Colony 2. They threatened me saying that I said anything they would make it look like I was an Apotheosis agent all along. And I was scared. I've been scared. And I can't take it anymore! I can't take keeping silent! I've known about the moles since that morning and I know that they have eyes on us! When we're at the pool, or in the briefing room, or wherever! And I...And I..." Elaine was now on the verge of tears, desperately trying to hold them back as she tried to say anything else. But it was too late. She was now reduced to nothing but heavy breathing and sobbing, awaiting her judgement from the Russian.

Val looked up as one of the pilots, the young one, walked in and asked about their patient in the SIEG tank. The meeting must have ended in that case, which meant it was possible they would get more visitors. Reaching out and nudging Olivia's foot with her own, she nodded towards Tarquin. "Meeting's out. Any pilots that had minor injuries might stop by now. Do you mind taking care of them while I keep an eye on the rescued pilot? If it's anything major, I can help of course, but you should be able to handle the small stuff, right?" In all likelihood no one else would be coming for medical attention, but it was worth preparing. Most injuries that came from piloting were not small enough to shake off for over thirty minutes, but Val knew better than to underestimate how stubborn some of these pilots could be. If normal people could put off going to the ER for days, she could only imagine what the pain tolerances of some of these trained military folks were like.

Prickly Peers

Well, this Chris wasn't telling Makoto to bug off, which was a start. "Um," He didn't really know what to say in response to her little quip, though. It almost felt out left field. Sure Christina was cute, but they only had one day of talking to each other! He wasn't getting any giddy feelings over that, or did she think he was being too friendly...?

Wait, this wasn't even Christina, so there was no way she'd know. "I'm not looking for anyone to substitute Christina, she's my friend! We're about the same age and we're stuck fighting without exactly too much training, so no point in not sticking around. And, like, she has Kim." There was no need to go in such detail, but Makoto had gone and done it. Ah well... it could've gone better, but also worse. "Also it's not very nice to think of you as a substitute to her. Sounds like a recipe for problems, nobody being happy in the end." He was savvy enough to understand these implications were creepy... dating a copy of Christina because he couldn't have the real one? The original would feel creeped out, the copy would hate him, everybody else... no, let's not even entertain that.

Ah. Ding. The elevator had shown up in good timing, the mechanic led Chris inside, and Makoto quickly followed --he was going to take a break in his room anyways--. "So, what are you going to do now? Since you cut your ties with Apotheosis and sold them out to us... you probably can't show your face around before the war is over."

All Done

Hmm, that was it for the pilots, and Jessica seemed to want to leave that atmosphere posthaste, not that Roxanna could blame her. Felt like a little piece of hell... Roxanna was about to leave as well, no point staying and letting paranoia settle... no, she could at least stay on the bridge, scouring for signal. The sooner they reached communication with Central, they sooner they'd be to a semblance of stable again. Top brass having Apoth sympathizers... well, that's going to suck.

Thorvald slid his hand down from where he'd been pinching the bridge of his nose, and brought the other up to join it, tenting them together around the circle of his beard as he leaned back in his chair and thought. He wondered if that was what Jess really thought, that rooting out the mole was impossible. It felt a little, fatalistic for her, that's all. For something of this nature there always was a way, it was just a matter of finding it. Still, espousing that position publicly did have the benefit of keeping the crew from tearing each other apart, or so that she could keep taking that stand, and refuse to back down to Firmia.

Well, one thing was right, anyhow, and that was that if everyone in the crew was all caught up in a witch-hunt, none of the other dozens of important things would get accomplished. With the meeting having come to a close, and people now officially dismissed, it was time to get back on with some of those other things, in fact. The whole Russian delegation, and their plus one, filed out, adding to the steady stream of others that had been dispersing either before or after them. Only a few had remained in the room this long: Kim and Christina (the one he'd brought in, not the latest one) were among the few. And the lieutenant certainly had been telling the truth about not feeling well, though originally Thorvald had thought she'd just meant her state of mind. Still, as the idol doubled over, almost coughing out a lung, there was only one thing to do.

"Alright, let's take you go get that looked at shall we. You think you can walk alright, or do you need me and her to give you a hand?"

As she made her way, leisurely, across the hall to the sick bay, Abigail couldn't help but smirk a little. Why did you go stiff as a board there, Jess? Just what did you think I was gonna... jeez. Maybe I should have! Ah well.

Shaking her head lightly, despite the situation finding something to laugh at, Abby stopped herself at the door to the infirmary, resting a hand up against the jamb as she tried to properly get back into right frame of mind for this bit of business.

A cheerful voice calling out her name from behind her caused her to turn around, and sure enough there was the new girl practically bounding toward her. Raising a finger to her own lips, in the time-honored 'shhhh' gesture, Abigail stepped back away from the door, and closer to the main corridor.

"Aliza, please! If you're gonna complain about heavy atmospheres, haha, this may not be the best place... Well, unless using maybe low tones or whispers." Rolling her eyes a little, she caved. She could visit him later, his weird friend was probably in there too, that could get awkward maybe.

"Why don't we head somewhere else instead? Your pick, and if you don't remember the way, I'll be sure to get us there. As for me," finally getting around to the question, Abigail paused slightly, scrunching up her lips before shrugging and continuing. "Just fine. That first sniper hit was a bit of a spook, but other than that... pretty much situation normal, can't really complain. Speaking about fighting though, we really oughta find you something better than that lug they've got you holed up in, huh? Or at least, you know, make it a little custom."

Edited by Balcerzak

"Muh... I don't think... this is entirely TK related. Ares... did something to my head." Kim replied, shaking a bit on the spot. Moving to stand up after a few moments, it didn't take long for her to stumble on her own feet, managing to avoid falling directly onto the floor by continuing to stumble until her back hit the wall, a discontented groan escaping her lips.

"Guess that... answers that one. Can't make it on... my own." Kim continued, glancing down at her communicator and slowly sending a message to Avery. If she had managed to figure anything out, that might be useful information for the Doctor, especially since with the current state of things, it was unlikely she had time to be wasting.

"Hey Avery, make any progress figuring out what was up with that ARES System?"

"I'm sorry," Firmia said, not wishing anymore stress on Hannah. She could barely keep a handle on her own emotions right now, though. Just apologizing gave the storm within her a brief opening to rush forth. Firmia just barely stopped that wretched flood of pain in time, but the faintest outward sign, a twitch of the eyelids, betrayed her facade. "Still ... this is why you shouldn't befriend just anyone. There are some things you just can't fix for other people."

Elaine knew about the moles but didn't tell anyone? She didn't tell anyone but him until now? Worse still, she'd been in direct contact with one of Apotheosis' lieutenants ... This could only be one of two things, a hastily constructed lie, or a passable trap. Brant thought back to the meeting, and how Elaine had been the first to react to Chris' news. No doubt if this got out, she'd be seen as trying to deflect suspicion, and then trying to get Brant on her side early, due to his relationship with the Captain. Others might believe her. Brant was inclined to, primarily because of who he was dealing with, and the fear she brought with her. This wasn't ordinary fear of punishment. This was the kind of fear he felt in the early days of his training, where a passing grade was the least of his worries.

Brant leaned back against the elevator wall and crossed his arms loosely as he considered their options. It didn't look good, especially since Elaine was apparently being blackmailed. If they had monitoring equipment in the meeting room and the pool ... then the lifts weren't out of the question, either. If that was true, then this lieutenant from Apotheosis would know Elaine had just outed them. It might only be a matter of time until the hammer came down, now ... maybe hours or even minutes if they were really on top of things. "We are so screwed ..." Brant groaned. With Nikolai out of commission, Elaine in danger of being taken off the roster as a security risk, the seemingly inevitable loss of his own copilot and the AMS units, their fighting strength was taking hit after hit after grievous hit.

Once again Brant was left with nothing but a feeling of complete impotence. "I don't know ... I don't know what we can do about this." No doubt Elaine's recruiter covered their tracks well, and picked her due to her reputation aboard the ship. It may have only been a passable trap, but this late in the game, it was proving to be quite effective. And Brant had nothing. There was no one he could fight, here. There was no one he could kill to make the problem go away. All he could do was grasp at solutions that, in all likelihood, didn't exist ...

Work Time

Olivia nodded as her foot was tapped, nodding to Val. "Yeah, no problem. I can take care of that. As long as nothing's broken, heh..." Then again, if anything was broken, they likely would've come to see the doctor before the meeting happened. It wouldn't do to leave wounds like that without care for that long.

Speaking of care, it was interesting to see Tarquin there. He was one of Nikolai's friends, was he? Hmmm. "You think the kid'll be alright?" she asked Val, hoping that the doctor knew how to deal with removed limbs...

Substitute

"I know she has Kim. Why do you think I'm saying this at all? They told us everything, even who's seeing who... Makes the emotional wounds easier to figure out." She sighed, was he that dense? Friends indeed... If he wasn't looking to make her a substitute, then why was he being so friendly? It wasn't like she'd been at all nice, and she wasn't about to start... Even if he was kinda cute. No, no thoughts like that. The ANF were the enemy, Apotheosis were the enemy. It didn't matter where he was from originally, he was working with them now. That was... That... "Oh, great, you're tagging along, sure..."

What she was going to do now? That was obvious. He really was stupid... "I'm gonna get stuffed into a room until they decide what to do with me, idiot... If I had my way I'd take a suit and go kill as many apotheosis cunts as I could before they shot me down. But... Information provided or not, I'm not like your blonde. I wasn't captured and used against my will. For a time, I fought for them thinking it was the right thing... Doesn't matter if I learned eventually, trusting me... It'd be stupid of your captain... Heh. Then again, she's giving me a nice cushy cell, so maybe she is stupid? I'll probably be suited up and shooting at the bad guys soon enough... Don't suppose you want to help me, Ma~ ko~ to~?" Stepping just a bit closer to Makoto, Chris half closing her eyes and looking up as him with a smile... before scoffing and stepping back.

"As if."

Carry On

"Something to your head?" What had it done? Was leaving this earlier seriously bad now...? Christina gulped as Kim stumbled, looking at Thorvald before getting herself underneath Kim's arm, hoisting her up. "I'll take her! It's my fault it got this bad, so... So I have to. It's just across the hall." Christina was tired, sure, but Kim was passing out. She could do this. "Come on, Kim... Let's go." She started to help her out of the room. It was a bit difficult to support her weight, but she was managing... Thorvald could probably watch, just in case, and step in when necessary. Because there would likely be a necessary moment.

Making Friends

Hannah could immediately tell that Firmia was having issues that she didn't want to let out... She almost apologized and hugged her again, staying her hands as they drifted towards her. "Come on." Taking Firmia's hand, even if she struggled, she brought the girl towards the Mantle. They weren't fixing the cockpit, they wouldn't get in the way, and Hannah wasn't waiting any longer to have this talk. "Galatea, let down the lift."

"Hannah? What's up?"

"Just let it down."

"...Alright." The Mantle opened up, luckily not bothering any mechanics working on the damage. Hannah placed a foot on it and looked back at Firmia, hoping she'd grab on herself. "It'll be okay."

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

When Firmia realized that they were heading toward the Mantle and not the Reign, she was a somewhat relieved. She just didn't have enough strength left to kick Sasha and the doctor out of there without the dam bursting. She was still hesitant to use the Mantle, since Galatea was up there. Galatea and her opinions ... Still, if Firmia didn't go through with this, Hannah would never understand, and then what she had to eventually ask of the android wouldn't make much sense.

"It'll be okay," Hannah assured her, but Firmia could only think back to the meeting and everything they'd learned there. Then she remembered the talk with her mother ...

"... if you say so," Firmia said, taking the lift up with her. Once they were inside the cockpit, Firmia moved back to the copilot seat without a word and sat down. Locking down the whole mobile suit wasn't the best idea during a repair job, even for a serious discussion like this, so she quietly pulled up the controls for the suit's relays and shut them all off with a single button. "T-there ..." She let herself fall back into the flight seat, her eyes staring at nothing.

Now that they were up here, in more or less total privacy, Firmia felt it should have been easier to say what she wanted to say ... but it was even harder, now. As the EM density around her decreased, her mind began to clear, slowly but surely, and that nothingness she was staring into was beginning to stare right back at her. Firmia could see herself in her mind's eye, standing there alone in the dark, a little older, mortally wounded and half insane from the unwinnable war she'd fought and lost. It felt like that woman was her future, a near certainty she couldn't escape. What tore into her the most wasn't the appearance of this Firmia of the future, but the darkness surrounding her. The AMS units were nowhere to be seen. There was no one else around her. No Brant. Tonya and Sasha weren't even there. She stood there alone in the void. She was dead. There was no one else around and nothing to rely on because she was already dead. This woman Firmia saw, was looking right back at her, at her own past, to this moment when everything began to unravel for her. She could see it so clearly at first ...

Only then, once she felt the warmth streaming down her face, did Firmia realize that the dam had broken. It hadn't come apart in a crushing flood. Instead, it came from a series of small, innumerable cracks. These finally began to relieve the pressure building within her. Firmia's eyes stayed locked on her future self, even as her vision blurred and her tears flowed ceaselessly.

If Elaine had felt any hope from Brant possibly believing her, it was quickly overshadowed as Brant admitted to her that there was likely nothing they could do to fix the situation. Her heart had begun to rise from the murk, only to sink deeper into the depths of her despair. As always, she had become too emotionally distraught to even consider her options, only thinking of the horrors that awaited her if anyone with any sort of authority found out, which was probably what would happen next, knowing her luck. Tears poured out from eyes as she envisioned how it would all come crashing down on her, her body feeling cold and her legs feeling week.

"...I...I should have said something sooner." She said in between the slowly growing sobs. "I should have told Jess as soon as it happened." She breathed in, hard. "But I was scared... I was too scared to do anything! And now...And now I..." Elaine was hugging herself as she slowly curled up into a ball, sitting against the wall of the unmoving elevator. It was too late to do anything, now. She had waited for some sort of revelation that had never come, some sort of sign that would never show, and now there was nothing to be done, and nothing to take back. And there was no one else to blame but herself.

She imagined everything in that moment, from the command to throw her into the brig, to the dropping off back into a prison with guards that cared little for her safety, to the inmates that would try to kill her each and every day she would stay there. And that was if they didn't see fit to just execute her, either right there on the ship, or in a public display against those would they deemed to be working with terrorists. Even then, Elaine might have considered it a mercy compared to living inside a cell for the rest of her life. She had committed a crime, and her silence had only made it worse.

"I can't...I can't go b-...I c-" Elaine stuttered through the tears, shivering, gasping for air as she sobbed harder and harder. "...I just wanted to be a hero, Brant. I just wanted to help people. To save people. ...But all I do is just make everything worse! All I do is just ruin everything for myself! And now...Now, I'm gonna be a criminal, again! Now, I'm gonna rot in a cell. And it's all my fault! It's all my..." She buried her head into her curled up legs, wailing into them. "I didn't mean to do anything wrong!" Her cries now muffled. "I didn't want this to happen! I just want people to like me, agaaaain! ...But I can't even do that right."

Edited by Dandragon

Comfort

It was reassuring, in a weird sense, to see Firmia crying. Hannah knelt down in front of her and took her hands gently, giving them a squeeze. "It's okay, Firmia. It's gonna be okay." If Firmia could cry, that meant she could get upset... Like a normal human. Hannah had been worried for a bit, that she would just toss all her emotions away, and try to carry the world, so this was... Good.

"I do not know what specifically is eating at you... Unless, it is everything. I would understand that. But, you do not have to worry. You say that friends are too difficult, but you do have them. I am here, Brant is here, Tonya and Sasha are here. Even Galatea!"

"Still functioning... You alright, boss lady?"

Evidently not, but it was better than sarcasm or sass. "So please... Let us help you. And not, just by getting into a machine and shooting at the bad guys. You may be afraid or too worried to let someone in, but... You do not know how much someone can help until you try. I wish to help you." We shall see what things I cannot fix. I won't stand idly by as you tear yourself apart, Firmia. As much as you may dislike her, even the captain still cares about you, even if it's just a bit...

AREEEEEEEEEEES

"Huh? What's... Oh."

'I figured out how it starts! But... Nope. I don't got a clue what it's done to you. Just know that things should be fine if both you and Christina are awake... Seemed tuned to the system's specifications, you probably got hit with an overdose because she was passed out. Standard. I don't know how this TK stuff works, but if you get some rest, the adrenaline should wear off. Just don't tax yourself.'

"Sorry, Kim. Ain't got a clue what th'fuck my dad's installed in this thing."

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Eventually, Firmia's eyes found Hannah in front of her, and when they did, the other Firmia, the woman she would eventually become, disappeared. Back here in the present, Hannah was right there, trying to ease her out of the tattered remains of her shell. "You really shouldn't, you know ..." Somehow, Firmia kept a near straight face as she looked Hannah in the eyes. "This war with Apotheosis is proving everything Rex said about me. Believe me, Hannah ... there are some people you do not want to get involved with ... and I'm one of them. The things I'm doing, now ... and the things I'm going to do if I ever have the power ... ... I'm not ... I'm not someone who should have friends."

She glanced at Galatea's avatar briefly, deciding that the only way to prove her point was to show Hannah Rex's notes. "Would you ... pull up that file now, Galatea? The one I didn't want Hannah to look at ..."

"I can ... see exactly what Rex saw, now. I'm turning into these people, Hannah. All I want to do right now is hurt Apotheosis. Badly. Needlessly. Helping you and Brant destroy them is ... it's one of the greatest joys I've ever experienced in my life. Every time one of them dies and I'm close enough to feel it ... the sheer terror ... and then the silence. I don't care who they are or what they're fighting for. I want them all to die ... I want them, their friends, their families and ... everything they cherish in this world to die ... and I want to experience every agonizing second of their pain firsthand. I want them to suffer for what they've done, so no one will even think of rebuilding Apotheosis or attacking us, again ... and ... and the more I think about what they're trying to do to us, the worse it gets. I'm not going to get better ... I'm only going to get worse the longer this goes on ... and the more ties I have, the easier it is for me to rationalize it. You should both just focus on helping Brant, because I'm not strong enough for that, either."

Brant couldn't argue with Elaine on that point. Even if this Apotheosis agent could make her look like the mole, going to Jessica early might have won her over. They would have also had more time to address the mole issue. Now it wasn't just their problem to deal with, but also Central's. Times were changing, now, and the captain was getting more firm as the war dragged on. That was in no small part thanks to these narrow victories of theirs. Now that they knew moles were aboard the ship, and the threat they ultimately posed, having a potential spy locked away and unable to hurt the crew might be too good an opportunity to pass up, even if it did cost them a pilot.

As Elaine broke down even further, Brant tried to think of something, anything he could say to console her. The consequences of this must have been so real to her, so crystal clear in her mind. Brant was starting to see it too, little by little. There wasn't much he could do, either. Jessica was his friend, but they weren't THAT close. How could he convince her to believe one of the pilots she got along with the least, especially with such a huge security threat looming? If Elaine wanted to be a hero in this war, she was in a very bad spot, now. Perhaps she'd always been. This was no place for a hero, Brant already knew ... it was a place for soldiers and tacticians.

"Come on, Elaine," Brant winced, not sure how to console his teammate, "I know the situation's ... well ... pretty out of hand now, but this isn't going to help anything. I need your help to think, here." Even if there wasn't a real solution in the end, there had to be a more productive way to deal with this situation. "Tell me what you know about the lieutenant. Anything we can use down the road. Name, gender, anything that might have slipped out." Anything Elaine heard could have been false information, but Brant doubted it, if only because of what they knew about Apotheosis' other officers.

"Which one?" Val asked, only barely joking. "The injured one should survive, yeah. At this point there's little reason for him not to. Then it will be a matter of him getting used to the changes. Scars, prosthetic limbs, that sort of thing. His friend? ... He's young to have to see someone go through this. I hope for his sake he doesn't hold on to it." Val shook her head, staring at Tarquin. He was so young and tomorrow or the next day he would have to go back out in a mech to fight the people that had almost killed his friend. "I don't know how they allowed kids like these two to fight. It's cruel."

Rationalize

"Firmia..." Hannah didn't know where to go with this, but apparently it was time for that file. Hannah sat back a bit, looking over at Galatea, who had quite suddenly looked very distressed.

"I... Are you sure? I mean, I'm not about to lie, I ruffled through it, and... I don't know if she needs to see this..."

"It's fine, Galatea. I have my own copy. Just a moment... Reading." Hannah went silent for a moment, no visible or discernible reactions on her face. She was most likely going through all of it in bulk, and it would take her a moment to react to anything properly.

"Oh, bother... Firmia, I don't think this is going to produce the reaction you think it will. This girl can be... Very stubborn."

It seemed like it was going to take Hannah time to sort through everything, but she sprung back to life only a second or so later, clutching herself as her eyes went wide. She looked at Firmia, but it wasn't in any sort of fear, more an intense level of pity. She couldn't process everything properly, too many horrible things, too many awful reports, so much had happened to Firmia-- and Brant! Dear God, Brant...

Even Tonya hadn't gotten off free from working for this horrifying family, or so they said, but judging from Firmia's want to keep it under lock and key... "Firmia, I'm... I'm so sorry." Hannah leaned forward and stole another hug, she didn't care if Firmia got mad at her for it. "I don't know if you're scared of becoming that, but you won't. This doesn't make me want to stay away, you silly girl. This just makes me think you need the support even more. You need people... You should, and need, to have all these people left around you. You can't shoulder this alone, I won't allow it..."

Allowed

"The younger one was grown for it. Literally. Was in Megumi's files... Doesn't make it any better. Makes you wonder what's wrong with the ANF. That sounds like something the bad guys would be doing." Ironic, considering the clone quite literally just down the hall, taking an elevator. Not that Olivia knew, as she looked around at their other new guest. "What about that one? I didn't get to see anything about her in files... Did we even get a name? I think I heard the doc say a Jess, or something. Sucks about the eye..." That wasn't a wound to wish on anyone.

Favors and Flavors

To think that Apotheosis was even focusing on the fringe details of the crew such as their relationships was honestly creepy. If they wanted to cause great emotional wounds, they needed only to find the immediate family of some, and they'd likely get a good grip on the person. No... that wasn't right at all. "So they looked into everybody... I gotta tell the others about that, later. Thanks again--" Makoto's thanks were shortlived, he got himself thinking of her plans as she spoke them... and was surprised as she started to... flirt with him? No, taunt him. What... what was that for? She even tried to sound like one of those hime-type characters, or was that not intentional? "Uh... hmm!" He needed to keep himself focused, and it seemed a brief breather and shake of the head was enough, despite the slight blush in his cheeks. "It's not like there's only the war and that's it, you know, but I guess you can't really ignore it right now." Sigh, "You don't need to be out there and shooting to help us, but that's probably what you want the most, huh? I'm just saying, you're already helping out a bunch with this... but you're gonna have to trust us, even if you don't like the ANF. So... all I can do is kick their butt harder for you, that I can do." Especially now that Nikolai got... yeah, I need to step up.

With the elevator reaching the bottom floor, the mechanic led the way to what was supposed to be this Chris' 'cushy cell'. Not as close to the pilot's room as Christina's was, but it seemed to hold some similarity --just like its guest--. Makoto seemed to follow out of curiosity, but stuck behind the two, there was no reason for him to spy Chris' room when they were so similar, and she'd have some alone time for now. "So that's where you're gonna stay, huh? Well, at least, if you need anything, there are phones you can use to call the crew inside... I haven't really used them, so I don't know the numbers, but there must be a guide somewhere."

"I don't ... believe that ..." Firmia's voice was barely as she submitted to Hannah's sudden embrace, "I'm already like them ... I'm just not hurting my own people, yet. That's the only difference." That was a point they weren't likely to agree on, either now or in the future, but if Hannah insisted on being there for her, then at least this talk wouldn't be for nothing. "It's fine, though ... I'm not afraid, I'm just ... I don't want everything I'm working for to be for nothing. I don't want Brant and the others to die. I don't want you two to die. ... and I don't want to bring even more people into my life when we're already so vulnerable. Their deaths would just turn me into something worse than Apotheosis." She hadn't yet encountered some lethal torment in Rex's notes that she wouldn't readily and willingly inflict on her enemies ... given the chance. Firmia supposed that did scare her a little bit.

"Oh right. Sorry sorry, gossip's an old habit of mine..." She laughed a bit. Ever the social one Aliza had to talk about something to keep things lively, even if it's joking about tense situations. Still Abby had a point, so she complied with a nod. "Alright. Well I did want to have a bite to eat so maybe the cafeteria? I promise I won't be loud this time." She continued another laugh. "And if you could? I'm still kinda learning the ropes around here."

After a moment she took in her situation. Good thing the sniper didn't do some real damage, Aliza wouldn't have liked that. "I'm glad it didn't tear a hole in your mech...as for mine..." She thought on it for a minute. "Well it seems kinda low grade compared to some shiny toys around here. I'm almost jealous." She paused with an upward head tilt, thinking on the custom part. "Hm. Well if a new mech comes that'd be cool...but you think other vets here might have dibs first? I am just the new girl after all. But I guess some custom work might not be too out of the question." She did get a new weapon but still. The idea piqued her interest.

The Difference

"It is an important difference." Hannah gently held Firmia's sides as she slid back enough to see her face, smiling a bit. "I am very hard to kill, Firmia. So is Galatea. To that end, I will do my best to keep Brant alive as well... Do you believe in good and evil?" It may have been a sudden topic change, but it had purpose. "It may be hard to think that a machine like me could have thoughts into what is good and what is evil, but from what I have looked into online and well as what I have seen, I believe Apotheosis is truly evil. They do not set boundaries on who they harm in this conquest, they are willing to use any methods available, and dispose of things for the superior, even if those things are people... Or clones of people."

"You are not that. I do not believe for a moment that you would stoop so far, as to disregard everything. If you were capable, you would have done so already with myself and Galatea. We were strangers, machine or not, and here you are caring about us. You are not as far gone as you think." There was a finality that Hannah was trying to reach, one that she hoped Firmia could see, or catch a glimpse of. "I don't think that we are, 'the good guys', as one would see in some cartoon. I do not believe the ANF are just, either. But... I do believe in this ship. For all its backwards decisions and troubles, things work. I do not claim to understand it, but, I expected the captain to fall apart over what happened to Nikolai. I am sure you were expecting the same... She is learning. And will do so. Just like you will." Hannah giggled softly, thinking about her next line.

"I may only be a few years old, and a few days conscious, but even I can tell that the two of you are simply young and making mistakes. Or, so the internet and other resources tell me... So do not think yourself awful for wishing to hurt these people. You only feel that way because they try to take away what you care about. I... I cannot begin to imagine how I would react were Brant or you to be seriously hurt. I can only hope that I do not find out."

"What's gotten into you? You... Well, no, I guess you were programmed to help in all ways."

"It is even better now that I have the capacity to care. And, one last thing, Firmia... If... When, you leave. I will come with you, okay?" A cheerful decision, Hannah still smiling. "Brant or not, the captain and this ship have enough ready hands. You may deny it all you wish, but you require more support than you think. So I will come with you, and keep you safe. If you are alright with that, of course." Now there is just the issue of the Russian government... I do not believe any number of searches online will provide a solution to that.

Cushy Cell

"That's the problem, Makoto... That's all I'm good at." Even if these people were better than her, she'd been given training enough to be useful. And with Christina's skillset... She didn't have much else going for her. The TK stuff helped, but that, again, only made her better at fighting. At least it was useful for seeing how flustered Makoto was getting... Just another teenager, huh? He was even following along as she was led to her room. She didn't invite him in.

"Don't think I'll be calling anyone, Makoto. See you around... Or, I won't. Think I'll take a nap... And put on some actual clothes. Chris let herself into the stark white room, the door closed behind her, and she immediately went about changing the room's settings to a more comfortable color... Mmm, lavender was nice. Too bad the clothes were gonna be as white as the basic room, huh?

The ANF certainly weren't the good guys, but it was better overall to work with them than alone. Unfortunately for Firmia, her ideas on good and evil were too internally consistent for her to view this war as anything but murder on all sides. Brant's reluctance to kill was a constant reminder that they were both performing a 'necessary evil' for the sake of their allies and anything else they cared about that came under threat. The most Firmia could do was acknowledge that this ship's crew had the best intentions, not being caught up in the larger power struggle in the world. This crew seemed ill equipped for that arena, anyway. Yes, this crew, despite its countless failings, had 'good' intentions, those three traitorous pieces of human garbage not withstanding ...

"Yes, I do ... and I don't have any good intentions for those ... animals," Firmia said, almost relieved to be feeling more anger than sadness, again. "I know it's only a reaction, but I don't know how to fight a war. I only know how to get even."

Firmia couldn't deny that the crew was improving ... or at least they had been, but the Captain was always a mixed bag, heeding painfully obvious advice in some areas, and being a stubborn orange mule in others. "I guess I was expecting her to finally learn more than just being tough on demand," Firmia murmured, thinking back to Jessica's handling of the Nikolai situation. It didn't seem like she fully appreciated the situation, yet, and Nikolai's survival likely played a role in that. The Captain had gotten off nearly consequence free for slacking off. Even then, Nikolai's injuries were his problem, not hers. She was merely down a pilot, with a well trained potential replacement already assigned a room one deck below them. It was all so convenient for her. No wonder she was so prone to these blunders. Had Nikolai actually perished in that twisted inferno, Firmia was all but certain the debriefing would have played out much differently.

Firmia had planned to continue on about the Captain, since it was closely related to why she'd wanted this private meeting in the first place, but Hannah surprised her by offering to accompany her when she left the ship. Offering at all was amazing enough, but with or without Brant tagging along? The first real expression Firmia made in the last five minutes was one of utter shock. "I know I'm a mess, right now ... and I don't have a lot of wits left for this war, but ... why? Especially if Brant stays? You know he went through far more than I ever will ... and even with your help, I can't do enough damage to Apotheosis without more resources and information. Besides ... if Apotheosis isn't gone in two weeks, I'll be creditless, and by then the AMS units will all be park monuments with no fuel, e-caps, or ordnance. There's no point in supporting me if I can't win." Firmia wouldn't let herself comment on whether she was alright with Hannah coming with her. Her pride just ... couldn't let her go to that place, right now.

Edited by Phoenix

Doctor Amparo seemed displeased about something, but there wasn't much more Tarquin could infer from her frosty exterior. Even three days sounded like an incredibly short time to Tarquin, and the idea of Nikolai being deployed any time soon didn't sit well with him. Without legs and multiple severe injuries across his body, could he even be restored to a functional condition? Pilotting was a strenuous enough experience for an able-bodied person, Tarquin had doubts that Nikolai's physical reserve would be enough any more. 

"It is unlikely that he wouldn't be required for the near future, I firmly believe the priority should be long term recovery." Tarquin replied, determined to ensure the best outcome for his friend. Even if everyone had to work harder, it would be better than letting another disaster occur. He'd read about the SIEG tank, its potential for both pharmacological and surgical intervention made it a versatile medium for patient recovery. His own usefulness in Nikolai's recovery, despite his intellect, was severely limited. Even Doctor Amparo's untrained minions would be able to contribute more than him - it highlighted the power of repetition and procedural memory. "My own contributions would be rather ineffective, but I appreciate the sentiment. I have enough faith in your own expertise."

He watched as Nikolai made a feeble attempt to move within the tank, approaching it slowly to try and give him a better view. His friend had done so much to try and protect him from the world, and this is where it had landed him. As unreliable as the other adults were, Doctor Amparo was one he could trust to do her job. She didn't need to be nice or everyone's friend, her focus was entirely her designation. One could have been paranoid and suspected her as a mole, but she'd already had ample opportunity to sabotage the crew through malpractice.

"I do have one question though. How familiar are you with human genetics and cloning?" Tarquin asked, stepping away from the tank. His curiosity extended both to Apotheosis' own troops as well as his creation. "Miss Troy's clone seemed to suggest that Professor Liebenwalde was contributing towards improving Apothoesis' own troops, I am not familiar enough with the field to fully grasp how."