Transfer benefits

sandmanccl

In your opinion, who benefits most from transfer bonuses? I'm just curious.

Keep the bonuses realistic. +2 luck on Stefan from the get-go would help him out significantly, but there's no way in hell he's capping it in Path of Radiance without cheating. So saying speed on Ilyana? Well, I'm sure it's happened but it's not bloody likely to happen so saying she benefits most from a bonus she's probably not going to receive doesn't hold up that well.

IMO, Astrid benefits a TON from transfer bonuses. Her strength is good enough to get within 2 points of capping most the time in PoR so if you drop an energy drop on her, it should cap with little struggle. Her speed is great and will likely cap, her skill will almost definitely cap, and it's not inconceivable for her defense to cap, especially if you use a dracoshield on her or two. She starts at such a low level in Radiant Dawn, the +2 in those areas (especially strength and speed) makes her a pretty handy unit from the get-go rather than be a liability until she levels up a bit.

I'd have to say Jill goes from being somewhat mediocre upon joining to god-mode with transfer bonuses. Her two beginning problem stats, strength and skill, both are relatively likely to cap. It makes it so she can immediately use that Steel Axe she comes with without too much AS loss.

Stefan is also a pretty good bet. Seeing as his bases are kind of low for starting as a level 8 Trueblade, +2 even in the stats he'll still likely cap (strength, skill, speed) doesn't hurt. He's also one of the easiest guys in Path of Radiance to get to the level cap.

Last person I have to say gets a LOT out of transfer bonuses is Makalov. He's got pretty ridiculous base stats as is, but adding +2 to strength, speed and defense is unnecessary. Kieran without bonuses will only have a lead on him with a single point in strength, with everything else being tied or even better on Mak, despite Kieran's 4 level lead on him.

People that don't gain a lot of benefits from transfer bonuses:

Zihark. The only things he's likely to cap are strength, skill and speed. Considering how +2 in any of those areas doesn't actually make him any better in part 1 (he's still going to kill everything in a hit, he's still not ever going to miss, and he's still already going to double attack everything. He still can't dodge anything because his luck is abysmal, too), it's almost kind of pointless. I wish I'd have invested more experience into other guys that almost reached the cap my last playthrough, like Soren. Not that Soren needs the bonuses because I've had him cap every stat as Tier 2 before he even got to level 20, but it would have been nice.

Most the people in Ike's party for the reason I just listed for Soren. None of them really need it to begin with! It doesn't make anyone do anything they couldn't already do. Rolf and Mist, it helps because they require a little less babying assuming you actually had anything worthwhile cap. It IS fun having Ike start out with maxed Skill, though.

I would say Ike. In FE9 he caps strenght, speed, skill and sometimes HP and defense.

I know Ike is already good but I think with all those extra 2 plus state helps to level him up in FE10.

Edited by Luxord

Getting Elincia to the level cap in FE9 is a chore and she only really caps Magic anyway. Her skill MIGHT if you're luck and her speed if you're even luckier, but those are hardly problem stats for her in FE10.

I'll give you Speed for Soren. It can be somewhat spotty in FE10 but it's still not overly difficult to get it to cap anyway.

Haar probably won't cap a single stat so I don't know why you listed him. His max strength is 29, meaning he needs to gain 8 times in 9 levels with his 60% growth. Possible? Sure. Likely? No, although an energy drop MIGHT get him there. Defense also caps at 29 meaning you'd need to gain it every possible level and with 45% gains there, it's just not going to happen.

Considering how God-Mode Haar is immediately upon joining, and the fact all his stat gains are just ridiculously good in RD anyway, his transfer bonuses, if they even exist, are kind of like ones for Zihark. It won't make him any better, even immediately, because he's still going to murder everything without them. By the time either one of those guys is gaining levels, a +2 in anything they are likely to cap in PoR is definitely going to cap in Radiant Dawn as is.

Try to keep in mind what is LIKELY to cap in PoR, and then weigh how much that benefits that unit upon joining and how much it helps them later on.

I guess I was just lucky then. :mellow:

EDIT: I mean, I didn't think of the likelihood of the stats capping for some of those I listed, I was only thinking from a PE standpoint, which was wrong I guess. :P

Edited by Magnús Örn Sigurðsson

I'm just saying, even if you did manage to cap every single stat with Haar, I don't think it'd make much of a difference considering how he begins better than he should in FE10, and ends as one of the single best units in the game. It's a different story with, say, Geoffrey where if he managed to cap a few stats (like speed and defense) it'd seriously help him out in FE10.

I've been thinking Calill is also a good candidate for transfer bonuses. I heard that Largo maxing stuff concivably also gives her bonuses but there's been reports of people still only getting +2 for the things that Calill herself maxed and not an additional +2 or just a +2 in some area Calill didn't cap but Largo did. (That's probably muddy English and I apologize. I couldn't sleep last night so words are fuzzy right now.)

Getting her to cap anything would take a bit of tinkering with the stat system, though. I mean, she needs 11 magic in 14 levels to cap magic and with 45% growth, it's not very likely. Although I could see getting maybe two points away and boosting it up with whatever it is that gives +2. I think the same goes for her speed and skill. They both start at 18 and cap at 28 so you'd need to gain 10 stats in each in 14 levels with a 45% chance apiece. I can see it happening with a bit of patience at the bonus XP screen. Even a single one of those capping would really make her shine in FE10 because she's a bit under-powered for the maps you get to use her in.

Maybe it has to do with Largo not reaching level 20 (for those people you spoke of).

I'll try in my next playthrough and get both of them to 20, then transfer the data to see if Calill will get bonuses from Largo's stats as well. Of course, that is if my Wii's only problem is the power box.

I am pretty sure the people who said it were folk who hacked their PoR so that everyone was at max level with max stats on everything.

I can't remember what thread it was in because this was a couple months ago.

Might it be that Calil gets both her and Largos bonus but not both at the same time ?

So if Calil caps speed in PoR she gets +2, if Largo caps speed she gets +2 and if both cap it she only gets +2 as well ?

By the way: If you train Laguz in PoR... Do you need to get their stats high enough so they can cap them in their untransformed state ? And if they need can cap their stats at last transformed, does it matter if they are transformed at the end of the final chapter ? Not that they are likely to cap anything. If so they would technically get a +4 boost.

Edited by BrightBow-User

Their stat caps in their untransformed state. It'll flash green. When they shift, it'll increase accordingly and still be flashing green.

I'm going to make up an example. Let's say the cap is 30 (untransformed). They'll hit that and it'll stop. Shifting will boost it up to 35. The transformation boost "shifts" your caps an equivalent number upwards.

I think the only Laguz that even caps anything is Giffca, because he comes at max level with max strength. The caps are just too high for it to matter.

Oh. I always that every Laguz has 2 classes... Anyway even with state-up items and bexp the from 90 exp to level up to make sure they raise the tight stats, there is almost no chance for them to cap anything. Mordecai might cap strength and HP but only with a seraph robe. Reyson can cap a few stats. He has at last an insanely high chance to cap skill. *YES*. Well, I agree, Laguz are probably not worth it... :(

But I would be curious if Leanne and Nealuichi could technically get state-bonusses. :lol:

Ilyana, no contest. Since he comes with the DB, her stats help her keep the DB alive. Also, (this is from memory, so it might not be 100% accurate) Ilyana's base speed is 13. Most of the enemies IIRC, have an attack speed of 10, so that extra boost right there helps her double a lot of the enemies. Plus, since her defense isn't too good, that extra +2 helps her defend as well. And of course the skill helps since thunder got nerfed. Magic and resistance also help some as well in the beginning and strength... well her growth in that is good enough, but is doesnt hurt to have it

In second place is probably Sothe for obvious reasons, but he comes good enough without the transfer. WITH IT, he's a god in part 1

Edited by CGV

Soren.

Thanks to being RNG blessed in PoR, he began as a level 7 (I think...) Sage with Cappaed Skill, Magic, Speed and one point off Capped Resistance.

With those capped, admittedly the other levels did very little, but he was very handy!

Second Place - Sothe. The Direct Tranfer and the way he has Blossom in PoR means he starts as a Level 1 Rogue with the Stats of a 7~8, if not even higher.

Ilyana, no contest. Since he comes with the DB, her stats help her keep the DB alive. Also, (this is from memory, so it might not be 100% accurate) Ilyana's base speed is 13. Most of the enemies IIRC, have an attack speed of 10, so that extra boost right there helps her double a lot of the enemies. Plus, since her defense isn't too good, that extra +2 helps her defend as well. And of course the skill helps since thunder got nerfed. Magic and resistance also help some as well in the beginning and strength... well her growth in that is good enough, but is doesnt hurt to have it

In second place is probably Sothe for obvious reasons, but he comes good enough without the transfer. WITH IT, he's a god in part 1

If Ilyana was likely to cap speed in PoR, then I'd say it'd help her a lot because her beginning stats for a level 12 mage or whatever it is is rather underwhelming. As is, though, she's only somewhat likely to cap skill. The skill bonus seriously helps with how unreliable thunder magic is, but other than that, you pretty much have to luck out in order to actually gain any of her stat bonuses for use in Radiant Dawn.

Like I said, keep it realistic. It'd be great if Ilyana was as likely to cap speed as Soren was, but it's not bloody likely. Jill, who starts out with sort of similar stats as Ilyana in Radiant Dawn, is actually likely to cap some of her initial problem areas hence why I think she's a good unit to max out.

@ Warrior of Dawn: That's just the thing. Soren's growths in Radiant Dawn are already awesome and he begins incredibly good. The transfer bonuses are nice but hardly change how good the character is.

I'm trying to figure out who to use in Path of Radiance in order to make them better in Radiant Dawn for a future playthrough.

I think Sothe is a good choice, especially because if he's turning out like crap, you can just dump him. But beginning with +20 luck and potentially +16 defense is pretty much amazing. Even if his strength turns out worse than his Radiant Dawn start, it's one of his best growths so it getting screwed isn't very likely.

PoR characters that start unpromoted aren't tough to have a good few stats capped by 20/20 with effective use of BEXP and bands.

which is what i do (though Ilyana is the most pain to cap all the stats i want her to)

I kind of assumed Random Mode. You have a point if you're on Fixed Mode.

Getting Ilyana to cap speed would help her significantly, no doubt about it. Her speed is pretty bad even with it, so any boost helps.

I do random mode and abuse level ups every chapter