If Fire Emblem Heroes had Personal Skills

mcsilas

So one of the things that's a problem with FE:H is units overshadowing lower tiered units thanks to skill inheritance.

This led me to think about one thing that Fire Emblem Fates did right- what if every hero had their own Personal Skill that went next to the Sacred Seal slot? What would your favourite Hero's personal skills be in the FEH context?

Just some quick ideas, firstly some similar to the original skills in Fates:

Spoiler

Azama- Divine Retribution

"Deals half damage back when attacked in melee range."

Based on his Personal skill in Fates, this is a lot more useful in Heroes because he's always stuck with staves. This allows him enhance his role as a physically bulky healer, although I balanced it by making it do nothing against ranged attackers, so he is still weak to mages. Pair it with Miracle and Martyr and profit!

Peri- Bloodthirst

"When user triggers the battle and defeats the enemy, Attack and Speed +4 for the next turn"

One of the best personal skills in Fates, this would make Peri an offensive threat if she gets a kill, making her that much scarier after especially after a Threaten Def. Maybe +4 would to 2 stats would be too much for Heroes, maybe +2 would be more balanced?

Hana- Fearsome Blow

"Units adjacent to the target receive 7 damage after battle."

Enhances Hana's Player Phase nuke role by hitting adjacent enemies as well.

Now some modified skills:

Spoiler

Azura- Healing Descant

"Allies within adjacent to the user recovers 5 HP at the start of the user’s turn, every two turns"

So I lowered the healing aura from 2 tiles to just adjacent tiles for balance. This enhances Azura's utility as a dancer, providing slight healing by just being there. Also since Renewal's max effect applies to every 2nd turn, I've applied that to this skill so it's not too abusable on defensive maps.

Laslow- Fancy Footwork

"Attack and Speed +2 to allies within a 2 tile radius "

Basically an automatic version of his skill in Fates, without the need to Rally (and a slight increase in stat boosts).

Selena- Fierce Rival

"If adjacent ally activates a special, unit activates own special immediately and ignores the cooldown count"

Since there are no criticals in Heroes, I used special activations to replace the critical effect in Fates. This makes Selena someone who wants to be adjacent to someone like a speedy Moonbow user- if they activate their special, Selena's special (most likely Bonfire) will activate straight away. Great to partner with a Hone/Spur user and maybe the upcoming -Owl tome users?

Odin- Aching Blood

"Doubles cooldown rate for specials"

So you know how other blue mages outclass Odin when they get a Blarblade tome? Well here, Odin puts his own personal stamp on his tome by having no problem with the increased cooldown rate. Instead,  this skill doubles the cooldown rate of specials for faster burst damage (Hey he needs something a bit drastic to make up for his stats). His default Moonbow would activate much quicker (so it starts out with 3 cooldown rate, but each hit will lower cooldown by 2 instead of 1, so as long as Odin is speedy enough, Moonbow procs on the 2nd hit). Since there are no criticals (or weapon naming) in Heroes, proc rate is probably the closest thing to a critical increase like it was in Fates. He might be able to use 4 or even 5 cooldown skills better (Galeforce/Aether?)

And now for new skills (like for units from other games):

Spoiler

Soren- Adept

"Allows user to activate battle twice every 3 turns"

Basically Galeforce without using the special slot and using turn count instead of cooldown rate. This differentiates him from Nino, and can be pretty scary if paired with a dancer- just make sure you look at the turn count and be prepared. Useful in defense missions.

Mist- Florete

"Attacks give weapon triangle advantage against green units".

Shoutout to her Radiant Dawn personal weapon. Basically makes her attacks act like the Florete sword, making her effective against green units and her attacks hits Res. This also means defensively, she resists green axes/tomes. Pair it with Wrathful Staff and you now have more offensive Mist! I think for balance she will be weaker to blue units now.

Roy- Counter Seal

"Allows counterattack from any range if the units Def or Res is raised."

Okay so I personally don't know much about Binding Blade but people have been clamouring about the lack of Distant Counter- so this is a cheap knockoff of Distant Counter that can work for any weapon he has (I don't think Personal skills should be weapon specific). Basically, as long as he has a +1 stat to his Def or Res, he can counter at any range. Since his personal weapon gives him +2 Def/Res when being attacked, this will guarantee a Distant Counter activation.

Lucina- Awakening

"If at half health, decreases cooldown activate rate of skills by 1."

Based on the Awakening skill of the Great Lord DLC class in Fates (which is pretty much based on Lucina). This is basically a Defiant version of Heavy Blade to allow easier Luna/Aether/Galeforce activation (because there are no crit/dodge skills in Heroes). It has a weird synergy with Falchion/Renewal effects but Lucina is already pretty top tier so she doesn't need to have a broken skill.

Chrom- Reckless Blow

"When user initiates battle, enemy units within a 1 tile radius receive 7 damage after battle."

Basically Savage Blow as a homage to Chrom's...recklessness and talent for breaking things in the barracks during training. Offensive support skill. Can stack with Savage Blow.

Niles- Piercing Taunt

"Enemies within a two tile radius receive Def/Res-7 at the start of user's turn"

A harsh stat debuff around Niles, because well...with his Attack he needs it to do good damage and to be used in relation to other archers. Makes him an even more effective mage killer though, and a great support unit. Fits his personality well.

Oboro- Fierce Gaze

"Enemies within a two tile radius receive Attack/Speed -7 at the start of user's turn"

Allows Oboro to tank enemies better, and has good synergy with Seal Def if using with her default kit. Cancels out any Defiant buffs, making her a great debuff physical support tank. (Since not as many Nohrians in game compared to the original game, something more generic would be more useful)

I have much more ideas but I'll be here all night. Anyone have any other ideas, especially for characters from other games?

To be fair, a lot of units can be made good with SI, people just like to make the best units even better.

I think they should stay away from personal skills with this game. Something about it just seems... wrong. I don't know why, I just feel like it wouldn't belong. Mostly because that's 125 and more unique skills that need to implemented at once. And unlike the Main FE series, the characters feel less significant and aren't explored so I wouldn't see it happening. And it seems like some of the skills you made are way to OP. Having Threaten DEF AND RES 3 on Niles or Threaten ATK AND SPD 3 on Oboro isn't even close to fair, since they can still equip another Threaten 3. Yes, it may make them viable units without SI, but only by making them stupid powerful. If personal skills were to be in, I'd amount them to a Tier 2 skill. Odin's skill can easily be broken and gives such great advantage with zero drawbacks. Again, it's making him viable only by making him OP. Selena's should be a -1 cooldown after combat instead, because again, it's only making her good by giving her an OP skill. Personal skills should be considerably equal.

It's still a cool thought though. I'm guessing if they did use it, they'd stick have Fates Units stick to their original. A few would have to be revised though (such as Laslow, who has a mini-rally or Felicia and Jakob, who's are only supporting Corrin).

I'll share a few I come up with:

Donnel: Village Roots - Deals +4 damage on a forest tile

Shanna: Cheery Flight - Grants +4 Spd against fliers during combat (IDK)

Marth: Inspirational King - Grants adjacent allies +3 Atk after combat this unit initiates

Someone IDK: Warcry - Gives +2 Atk to unit and adjacent allies when defeating an enemy in combat the unit initiates

Nino: DO MY BEST - DOES HER BEST

That's all I can think of for now.

Personal skills would just rearrange characters' placement on the tier list, not make them all uniquely viable. I'd rather they focus their efforts on creating new characters and skills for them rather than create unique skills every existing character. But I'll contribute to the thread, just for kicks.

Zephiel: Goad Dragons - Dragon units within 2 spaces get +4 Attack and Speed in combat

Bartre: TomeEater, when unit initiates combat against a tome-user, he eats their tome, and they are unarmed for the remainder of combat.

Oh, oh!

Ephraim - Sacred Bond - When in the same team as Eirika, +2 ATK/DEF. When in battle against Eirika, -4 to all stats.

Eirika - Sacred Bond - When in the same team as Ephraim, +2 SPD/RES. When in battle against Ephraim, -4 to all stats.

=P I like those two.