Positive Racism

Tino

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but that's an outright lie.

You can't honestly say you've never noticed someone was different because of their race, or never laughed at a racist joke, or never done something different because someone was a different race. No one is, "pure."

I can honestly say that I've never noticed some1 was different because of their race. Same for the other stuff but I think I may have laughed at a joke that's possibly racist... That's about it. Race, doesn't play a role in how I interact with others.

I can honestly say that I've never noticed some1 was different because of their race. Same for the other stuff but I think I may have laughed at a joke that's possibly racist... That's about it. Race, doesn't play a role in how I interact with others.

That's exactly how I am.

That means you've done something racist then.

It doesn't mean you ARE a racist, but it means you're not the icon of unity in people.

same here. I speak the same,and act the same with people regardless of their race. I dont go arround shouting N***A!!!!! If im around other black people. I everyone I know the same. that and i only have 2 black friends and they both come here XD

I don't think it was elaborated on, but making positive assumptions about a particular race is still bad. Not every asian is smart, not every black person can play basketball well. Even if it was well intended, it's still ignorance and is really just the same as any other racist assumption.

Positive racism? There's none that I can think of. I do believe there are such things as positive stereotypes, such as black people are usually excellent atheletes, Asian folk are usually smart, and so on. But racism is never good...

That means you've done something racist then.

It doesn't mean you ARE a racist, but it means you're not the icon of unity in people.

Guess I have... unintentional but it's still there... damn :\

Icon of unity huh... even if I could be, I wouldn't wanna be.

Edited by Boo

Isn't racism more like actually being prejudiced and discriminative towards other races? I'm sure a lot of people have thought about differences etc, but I'm not sure if everyone has actually done something bad based on it.

No, he wasn't talking about jokes or something, he was talking about pure racism, like "black people should not be on this world". He said that in some way such racist comments could be positive.

I guess this idea of positive racism is similar to, like... bullying kids will make them more tougher in the future? Personally though, I don't think it's a good idea to be racist towards anyone in the first place. It's just ignorant, and not right.

I find race jokes rather funny, not racist, but deep inside we all are, not that were bad people, but we all are, or are racist, but in denial. In miami, there is a lot of Cuban trash, frankly I only have 1 Cuban friend because 75% of them annoy the crap out of me, alot are low class people, but not all of them, I have these Cuban neighbors who are very good and respective people, and I have a good friend who is Cuban, moral of the story, deal with it

Maybe he's referring to when comedians use racism and everyone laughs and not just the other races?

Like Russel Peters

But I think there could be some positive racism

Edited by CGV

How do you ever think racism can have a negative effect on people? I fail to see that.

Racism causes social divides based on a characteristic neither side has control over. It causes poor decisions because of a quality that is ultimately meaningless in terms of aptitude or worthiness.

Wanting to kill Obama because he's an "arab" is a good thing, right?

One of my teachers talked with us about racism and about how bad it is yesterday. However, he also came up with something called "positive racism". That's supposed to be racism that has a positive effect on those being discriminated.

I personally think this is some big bulls***

What do you people think of it?

Did you tell this teacher that? I would've, I've a reputation for arguing with teachers....

I think this vid satirizes this kind of thinking perfectly ^_^

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/port...bama_as_elitist

This looks like fun. >:)

First, I should state my position. I think there is such a thing as positive racism. Racism is discrimination based on race; this can be discrimination against or discrimination in favor of. Many people would consider affirmative action positive racism, for example. At least, until they see some instances of how affirmative action actually plays out...

Well maybe he's reffering to something like: "Asians are good at math." Or "Black people have huge ___s" (you all know what it is.)
These are some good examples of positive racism.
"Sometimes racist comments have a positive effect on those being discriminated, because they might think about changing their culture and behavior to be more like those discriminating."
That's possible, but that has more to do with the individual than the group. Some people use criticism to drive them to be better people. Others get butthurt. Some don't give a shit. It's just how people are.
People who joke about other races are just sick....they need to get life and find better things to joke about.
I'm sorry you think I'm sick, but I guess if you've been treated badly because of racism I shouldn't be surprised.
One thing I detest is when black/Asian/Arabic/etc people try to say people are racist against them, and then turn around and act racist towards white people.
Seconded, that's total bullshit and pisses me off.
Even if it was well intended, it's still ignorance and is really just the same as any other racist assumption.
Yes, but that doesn't mean it can't have a positive effect.
To be honest, I never heard the term "Positive Racism".
Me neither, until this thread.

I think racial discrimination and racism aren't necessarily the same. Racism to me is thinking this race is superior or flawed compared to another race, while racial discrimination is thinking this race is different from others.

I admit I racially discriminate (if I have that term right). I don't look at blacks and whites being the same because, they kinda aren't. From different culture to just the obvious appearance stuff, they are different. I don't really think their capabilities are different, which is what I like to think doesn't make me racist, but I do think they have different situations that should be treated as such.

wow I just said different a lot

I unno where affirmative action falls into all that under my private worldview.

Also that teacher didn't elaborate very well

I think racial discrimination and racism aren't necessarily the same. Racism to me is thinking this race is superior or flawed compared to another race, while racial discrimination is thinking this race is different from others.

I admit I racially discriminate (if I have that term right). I don't look at blacks and whites being the same because, they kinda aren't. From different culture to just the obvious appearance stuff, they are different. I don't really think their capabilities are different, which is what I like to think doesn't make me racist, but I do think they have different situations that should be treated as such.

That's a good point and I should be sure to draw that distinction from now on. Wikipedia pretty much mimicked what you said too :lol:

You ever heard of a "discriminating eye" being mentioned as a positive quality? It's not a bad thing to be able to recognize differences when they exist.

Affirmative action is racist against everyone who does not benefit from it.
As well as racist towards those who do, because it assumes the recipients are more deserving of it than other people.
Discrimination because of race is racism. There is not a difference.
Discrimination is merely marking differences. Racism implies inherent superiority or inferiority.