Portraits?

How would you like characters to speak during story sequences?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like characters to speak during story sequences?

• Portraits
    • 3D models
    • Something else?!??

Do you think we'll stick with our traditional portraits like every FE game before, or do you think there's a possibility the character models will be detailed enough that we will simply have the models talking on screen?

Personally, I'm not sure which I'd prefer. Portraits are tradition, and I love the work that goes into the art. But I would also love to see detailed facial expressions on a more "alive" model during story-sequences.

Models can go wrong, and I'm certain we're all familiar with bad facial expressions on 3D models. But if they could do it right, would you want to see it?

The poll is for what you'd prefer, but please feel free to let me know why, as well as what you think we'll actually get.

I think they could go with either, though I prefer portraits.

One thing I think would be interesting is if they tried animated 3D portraits, similar to the 3DS Ace Attorney games. The AA portraits are unique to me as they are essentially the 2D portraits animated in 3D; the characters sort of "snap" between emotions, expressions and movements, mimicking how the characters moved in the older games.

It's a bit difficult to explain without a visual example, but I think it could possibly work well from FE: Switch.

Edited by saisymbolic

Oh, I love those Ace Attorney graphics. I could be down with that.

Graphics similar to GG Xrd could also be nice if they took the time required to make it look good.

I would still enjoy 2D graphics for portraits as well though, but if they used them, I would like it if they had more than one portrait with different faces. I have a hard time ever saying anything bad about FE portraits, but it is kinda goofy that certain characters permanently cross their arms, keep their head tilted down or whatever no matter what they're talking about or who they're talking to.

I think animated models would be better to present the dialogue. It's easier to show of reactions and emotions that way, and we could have more lively actions during the talk scenes, like the characters visibly drawing their weapons.

Also, I want lip movements and blinking back. They have been a tradition in the series ever since there introduction in the first and seventh game respectively, why did Awakening drop that? Why wasn't it picked back up? These simple details already make the characters feel much more alive.

3D models can work as long as they don't mess up the lip syncing in the english dub but portraits are obviously iconic to the series maybe something like Persona where its mixed or the Tales of series where its 3D models and had portrait convo skits.

I'm in favor of what Radiant Dawn did, where most of the time it was portraits but sometimes units would walk up to another and converse like the war briefing scenes for the Dawn Brigade and the Greil mercenaries. I also like how portraits would sometimes move forward or backward to imply someone closing the distance like when lord Ludvek moved super close to Lucia.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm, I really like how the portraits can express many emotions, and they allow you to see details about the character (armor, posture) that can help their characterization.

I wouldn't be mad at 3D models, especially if they're done right and the models look good. Radiant Dawn used them well IMO, and sometimes I wish certain scenes in Fire Emblem had 3D models to convey the scene better (e.g. Roy meeting Lalum or Elen in FE6).

A mix between the two. For the supports and any base conversations (hopefully they have them anyway) the portraits should be used as I am expecting the larger cast and supports from Awakening and Fates. However for any important story scenes (or just in general) a 3D model could work. My only problem with 3D models is that they often end up look much worse then if they had just stuck with portraits, and the lip-syncing being off is a pet peeve of mine.

Edited by YingofDarkness

Senran Kagura does a good job of using 3D models for their "visual novel" type of dialogue. As long as it doesn't look lame I'd be okay with it. Honestly portraits would just be safer and I love FE artwork.

Portraits do a good job of seeing the main unit's details and expressions unlike in the 3-D models which as of now don't do a whole lot of expressions.

Plus...how can support conversations work without them?

I will say though that the promoted unit model not matching the portrait of the specific unit feels jarring. I do wish they can fix that issue even though it might never happen.