Pokemon Direct 6/6

Emerson

People have noticed that Diamond/Pearl/Platinum weren't on the shelf during the Direct:

Of course, BW2 also aren't there. Gen IV remakes on 3DS in 2018.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I came in with no expectations (try it sometime, it helps defend against disappointment), and all I have to say is this:

Interesting.

I'm concerned over if the Ultra games will have more content, though. Sun and Moon removed some features like 3 on 3 battle types and had experienced some lag with multiple Pokemon out, which led me to think it pushed the 3DS to its limits.

Whatever the case, though, I hope but worry whether or not we actually get some long-sleeved clothes and give both genders equal treatment for it, not to mention more hairstyles and hair colors.

And now in reverse order:

Well, Gen 2 on 3DS is a nice option (much as Crystal was my version (I get that too Ana), at the very least they haven't confirmed it's not going to be released)

So US/UM is a thing now. 

Not sure what to think, I mean it seems like a cross between a third version and sequels, which is just confusing. Also, there's a lot of footage in a short amount of time and I am not going to analyse it right now. It seems like there's totem changes, but what specifically's going on I can't say.

(Also Pokken Switch woo? As someone who never got a Wii U I'm OK with this. It even has the arcade exclusives and Takumi. Honestly I might be a bit more interested in the switch now as a result)

It's a somewhat disappointing direct but that's not surprising when it was so short. Admittedly the whole sequence integrating the announcements to a storyline was neat.

This tweet sums up people's reaction to the Direct quite nicely:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FacianeA/status/872105669121368066

Also, I get the feeling that we might not get Sinnoh remakes at all. I mean, there's not nearly enough demand for it, compared to the demands of Jotho remakes and Hoenn remakes. And it seems to that after Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire and people's opinions on them, the "Pokemon remakes" idea seems to be getting..."fatigued" or "tired", I'm not sure which is the best term for it, but either way, it seems that the idea of a "Pokemon remake" has lost a bit of it's charm.

In my opinion Gen4 doesn't really need remakes. They still hold up and are pretty modern for a classic gen. That doesn't mean I'm opposed to them being remade, of course.

1 hour ago, NoirCore said:

Well, I came in with no expectations (try it sometime, it helps defend against disappointment), and all I have to say is this:

Interesting.

I'm concerned over if the Ultra games will have more content, though. Sun and Moon removed some features like 3 on 3 battle types and had experienced some lag with multiple Pokemon out, which led me to think it pushed the 3DS to its limits.

Whatever the case, though, I hope but worry whether or not we actually get some long-sleeved clothes and give both genders equal treatment for it, not to mention more hairstyles and hair colors.

The removal of Triple Battles and the frame lag is due to GF overhauling the engine and sucking at optimization (Gen IV says hi there). They've never been good at it (they were unable to get moving around the overworld to work in the gameboy games; in-game, technically the player is standing in place and the world is moving underneath them).

This Direct was... alright. Not disappointed, but not the most excited either.

Nice to see Pokken Tournament is getting a Switch port, and Decidueye seems like a pretty cool addition. I get Takumi vibes just from watching its Burst Attack. DLC would be pretty cool so that we can get more fighters, but I have a feeling there won't be any.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are most likely third versions in the way Platinum and Emerald are, at least if the "an alternate story" statement is anything to go by. Wouldn't mind it all. I'm hoping the Ralts evolution line will be among the "Pokemon that will be catchable here and not in Sun and Moon." Bonus points if said line is incorporated into an expanded Alola dex. I'm curious to see how these games will expand Necrozma's lore. I'll probably be more hyped for these games in the future once we get more news.

Gen 2 games on the Virtual Console? Eh, don't really care.

Regarding the fate of the DP remakes, I think we are still getting them (remakes make money after all), but with today's news, it seems far more likely they'll pop up during generation 8. 

If you wanted a Switch remake, you forgot one thing. Pokémon games aren't made for us. They're made for kids (if the announcement didn't made it clear enough....)

A 2DS is extremely cheap, and quite sturdy, so you can give it to your kids with no problems, and it'll sell easily.

The Switch is not as easiliy used, and have quite a cost (you won't be able to buy one game and one console for each kids.) 

It may ended up on Switch eventually (a remake would be a good occasion to test the waters, I think. Seeing how profitable it could be, and how much teh old fanbase would be able to contribute.)

4 hours ago, Emeraldfox said:

In my opinion Gen4 doesn't really need remakes. They still hold up and are pretty modern for a classic gen. That doesn't mean I'm opposed to them being remade, of course.

I have to disagree. While by no means terrible, Diamond and Pearl, and even Platinum to an extent, are very slow, which has turned a good amount of people away from them.

They're probably the games that need remakes the most, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

If you wanted a Switch remake, you forgot one thing. Pokémon games aren't made for us. They're made for kids (if the announcement didn't made it clear enough....)

A 2DS is extremely cheap, and quite sturdy, so you can give it to your kids with no problems, and it'll sell easily.

The Switch is not as easiliy used, and have quite a cost (you won't be able to buy one game and one console for each kids.) 

It may ended up on Switch eventually (a remake would be a good occasion to test the waters, I think. Seeing how profitable it could be, and how much teh old fanbase would be able to contribute.)

I think this is a really important point almost no one is going to bother considering, sadly. Yes, many, many fans have grown up with Pokemon, and the games are pretty much as much for them as they are for kids, at this point, but Nintendo is still a more child orientated company. Pokemon is still a more child orientated game. And the fact that the DS is still going incredibly strong, whereas the Switch is still new with not nearly as many active units, it only makes sense to release a main Pokemon game, a psuedo-sequel, at that, on the DS. Even ignoring that, it only makes sense to release the "sequel" on the console that the previous game was on. On the console that the people who want to play it will likely already have, and thus be more likely to buy. Splitting a single generation of Pokemon between consoles is just insane.

6 hours ago, Emeraldfox said:

But they lack a lot of new things like the new way the Exp. Share works, unlimited use TMs, the cool Mega Evolutions (Mega Lopunny is a thing and Lopunny was introduced in gen 4!), and now Z-Rings and Z-Crystals. What I would give to have Mega forms and Z-Crystals for the Sinnoh starters! Also, I'd love to see what GF would do with Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and the lake trio in relation to those things.

DP's gameplay is slooow. Platinum fixed this, but not every single Pokemon is available in it. To get Glameow or Stunky for instance, you have to catch them in Pearl and Diamond respectively. DP's Pokedex also sucks. Imagine how much better it would be expanded with Platinum's dex plus additional Pokemon and new Sinnohan forms.

There's no online for the DS games anymore either, so no GTS and stuff.

Lastly, imagine the Underground with online! Spiritomb isn't so tedious to encounter anymore with potentially so many people to talk to down there, huh?

I'm currently playing my Diamond and Platinum files from awhile ago because I still think Sinnoh remakes will be next on the remake list and because I missed Sinnoh, but even I have to admit that these games are getting outdated at this point.

2 hours ago, Emerson said:

I have to disagree. While by no means terrible, Diamond and Pearl, and even Platinum to an extent, are very slow, which has turned a good amount of people away from them.

They're probably the games that need remakes the most, in my opinion.

This. I'm probably the biggest Sinnoh and gen 4 fan you could meet and I agree that DP at least is too slow despite that I still enjoy them. I feel like these games were testing out the DS's capabilities more than anything so GameFreak could do better with HG/SS and gen 5 later.

Gen 4 was the gen that lasted the longest. It first came out in 06 and then Platinum arrived in 08. HG/SS arrived in 09, I believe. Gen 5 first came in 2010. So gen 4 lasted four whole years! That was a lot of time to test the DS's capabilities and which is why HG/SS and gen 5 ran so much better.

Edited by Anacybele

@Anacybele While I agree DPP is sorta lacking in features now, it seems too early to give it a remake, let alone give it a 3DS one at all. For one thing, you can still play the games on the 3DS; I believe it's still somewhat more accessable compared to Ruby/Sapphire and Red/Blue to their remakes. If we get a Sinnoh remake, I feel it should go on the next generation handheld.

1 hour ago, NoirCore said:

@Anacybele While I agree DPP is sorta lacking in features now, it seems too early to give it a remake, let alone give it a 3DS one at all. For one thing, you can still play the games on the 3DS; I believe it's still somewhat more accessable compared to Ruby/Sapphire and Red/Blue to their remakes. If we get a Sinnoh remake, I feel it should go on the next generation handheld.

Except I never said they should be on the 3DS? I repeatedly said I wanted them on the Switch. I'm well aware you can play the originals on the 3DS, I've been doing that lately... xP

The Switch is partly a handheld, so it's reasonable to get main series Pokemon games on it. GameFreak basically confirmed this would be the case too, because they were stated to be developing Pokemon games for it and they only do the main series.

Edited by Anacybele

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Except I never said they should be on the 3DS? I repeatedly said I wanted them on the Switch. I'm well aware you can play the originals on the 3DS, I've been doing that lately... xP

The Switch is partly a handheld, so it's reasonable to get main series Pokemon games on it. GameFreak basically confirmed this would be the case too, because they were stated to be developing Pokemon games for it and they only do the main series.

That being said, if we're to use history as an example, Game Freak typically doesn't jump on to new platforms so early with main series games. The earliest they've been is the GBA and GBC (2nd gen), over a year after the systems came out. Otherwise, their games typically come out at least 2 years after the system is out. The Switch has only been out for a few months, and I wouldn't expect a Pokemon main series release 7 months (November) from a console launch; that'd be a new record beating the old days of Pokemon. Following the trend, a release date for a main series Switch game would be more expected for late 2018. It's no surprise that the first Pokemon Switch game in general is a spin-off title.

7 hours ago, NoirCore said:

That being said, if we're to use history as an example, Game Freak typically doesn't jump on to new platforms so early with main series games. The earliest they've been is the GBA and GBC (2nd gen), over a year after the systems came out. Otherwise, their games typically come out at least 2 years after the system is out. The Switch has only been out for a few months, and I wouldn't expect a Pokemon main series release 7 months (November) from a console launch; that'd be a new record beating the old days of Pokemon. Following the trend, a release date for a main series Switch game would be more expected for late 2018. It's no surprise that the first Pokemon Switch game in general is a spin-off title.

Yeah, you're right about that, but you know, there's a first time for everything. I don't think anybody expected B2W2. lol No, it was all "Pokemon Gray when?" :P

Still, you're right, I guess it's not THAT big a surprise that the first Pokemon Switch game is a Pokken port even though that was made by Namco and not actually GameFreak themselves. Sinnoh later then!

Edited by Anacybele