Cloning Ability?

dragonlordsd

So, with Legion on the horizon, I was remembering back to his level in New Mystery of the Emblem, and his weird cloning thing, and I was wondering if they would ever implement a cloning skill into Heroes.

The "replicate" ability was featured in Fates, and if it were added to Heroes, I can't see that it'd be particularly broken, especially if it was made uninheritable, like dance.

As a quick refresher, the replicate ability allowed you to create a duplicate of the unit, with the downside being that the units would have a single shared health pool, which if depleted would cause both of them to die.

I can't see this ability being particularly broken, given this game's reliance on ORKOs, and the sniping ability of many units, but what do people think?

I was wondering how they would incorporate Xane into this game, since he is actually a chameleon character...

I'm not sure how good it would be. Maybe for people who have fully SI'd only one character and got full merges on them or something. I mean, is it worth running two Ninos over a team of two people buffing and a dancer? (I don't use Nino, so I don't know). Can Nino by herself buff a clone of herself like another character?

I like the idea of it, honestly, and don't think it can break the game too much, but I'm not the best at this, so I can't think of ways to exploit it if it's a single unit replicating.

If it's to create a second unit, so you have five, like mentioned in the OP... then yes, that's too broken, imo. I wouldn't like that to happen, even with a shared health pool.

I don't think the interface would really work. In Heroes, you have characters use active abilities by picking a target (ally or enemy) for them to use that ability on. There aren't abilities that don't have targets.

Furthermore, even with shared HP, it would be such a huge increase in offensive power.

2 hours ago, dragonlordsd said:

I can't see this ability being particularly broken, given this game's reliance on ORKOs, and the sniping ability of many units, but what do people think?

With a Firesweep weapon, you'd be able to attack without fear of counterattack, meaning your HP would never deplete.

Same with a Brave weapon. One-round kills work both ways.

38 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

With a Firesweep weapon, you'd be able to attack without fear of counterattack, meaning your HP would never deplete.

Same with a Brave weapon. One-round kills work both ways.

Depends on how your unit is set up. For example, if the ability is only restricted to thieves (mechanists being an extension of ninjas), there are no firesweep weapons.

I think it would take serious balancing to make it work, but I don't think it's impossible. Idk.

As for how it would work, I assume it would be a support skill, but allowing you to select an empty tile instead of a unit tile (so, basically, the reverse of how current support skills work)

Edited by dragonlordsd

1 minute ago, dragonlordsd said:

Depends on how your unit is set up. For example, if the ability is only restricted to thieves (mechanists being an extension of ninjas), there are no firesweep weapons.

I think it would take serious balancing to make it work, but I don't think it's impossible. Idk.

Poison Dagger+ and Windsweep/Watersweep. Or Life and Death, Windsweep/Watersweep, and Savage Blow on Jaffar with Deathly Dagger.

No matter what restrictions you place on it, you can build around it to make it abusable.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

Poison Dagger+ and Windsweep/Watersweep. Or Life and Death, Windsweep/Watersweep, and Savage Blow on Jaffar with Deathly Dagger.

No matter what restrictions you place on it, you can build around it to make it abusable.

Uninheritable. Like Dance.

7 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Uninheritable. Like Dance.

Poison Dagger+ and Windsweep/Watersweep.

Life and Death, Windsweep/Watersweep, and Silver Dagger+. Silver Dagger+'s -7/7 debuff will be active for the second unit's attack.

If the unit is slower, you can provide support with Dark Breath+ or Clarisse's Bow to forcibly drop their Spd for Windsweep/Watersweep to take effect.

Heck, Renewal would be amazing because it would activate on each clone, providing multiple stacks of healing since they share HP.

They could make Legion's GHB a survival map in which all 4 of your units have to survive against infinite reinforcements of Legion for a predefined number of turns. Legion's a pretty strong axe infantry unit as the paralogue shows him with Legion's Axe+ (rip buff units), Reprisal (didn't KO him quickly? Prepare your anus), Fury (faster, hits harder, and gets tankier and is even more aggravating since Defend map), and Obstruct.

As for an actual cloning ability, that will likely never happen given how cramped maps can be given that maps are in a 6x8 grid and battles are largely 4v4s and occasionally 4v5s or 4v6+. There's also that it would promote hyper offensive or extreme turtling strategies that may make the game less fun to play.

Edited by Roflolxp54