The Switch's accessories are of poor quality.

Anacybele

This really fucking sucks. I can't believe how poor quality the Switch's accessories turned out to be.

I've had the console since launch, which was only three months ago, and already my AC adapter doesn't work anymore. I've never had an issue with such an adapter so fast. This cable should've lasted much longer than that.

I have traveled with my Switch already, but there's no physical damage to the cable. It still looks as if it just came out of the box. So having the cable in a suitcase didn't do anything to it.

Has anyone else had problems with the accessories? Meaning the AC adapter, the dock, or the HTMI cable?

18 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

This really fucking sucks. I can't believe how poor quality the Switch's accessories turned out to be.

I've had the console since launch, which was only three months ago, and already my AC adapter doesn't work anymore. I've never had an issue with such an adapter so fast. This cable should've lasted much longer than that.

I have traveled with my Switch already, but there's no physical damage to the cable. It still looks as if it just came out of the box. So having the cable in a suitcase didn't do anything to it.

Has anyone else had problems with the accessories? Meaning the AC adapter, the dock, or the HTMI cable?

AC cables in general have degraded in quality. My mother has had a lot of cell phone chargers fail on her in the last year or so.

Just now, Hylian Air Force said:

AC cables in general have degraded in quality. My mother has had a lot of cell phone chargers fail on her in the last year or so.

Seriously? That's stupid. Because it looks like they've also increased in price. A new Switch adapter will cost me $30. I was able to buy one for a phone for like a fourth of that price. It was two years ago, but still.

Why is a dumb cable so expensive?

I've heard many people complaining about their screens getting scratched by the dock and have had to put tape over the top of it in order to prevent it from getting worse, and that the dock itself is rather cheaply made.

I dont own one as of yet (plan to get one for FE switch though), would rather wait till the issues are sorted out for it first. 

The dock is even MORE expensive. It costs the same as an actual game ($60). Talk about greedy money grabbing.

I might wait for a better AC adapter myself. Or just sell my console. I can't use the Switch if I can never recharge it.

31 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Um, i think it's just you (plus some other people). I have yet to have any problems with my Switch in any way. In fact, the one time i did have a problem was when i was playing Breath of the Wild, where my Switch just froze. A hard reset fixed it though. 

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

The dock is even MORE expensive. It costs the same as an actual game ($60). Talk about greedy money grabbing.

I might wait for a better AC adapter myself. Or just sell my console. I can't use the Switch if I can never recharge it.

Switch accessories are over priced in general. I mean it's $70 for a pro controller..... you can get a ps4 or Xbox One controller for like $50... WTF!

1 minute ago, Elincia said:

Switch accessories are over priced in general. I mean it's $70 for a pro controller..... you can get a ps4 or Xbox One controller for like $50... WTF!

So I noticed. Yeah, not paying any money for them until they go down in price. If they ever do.

It's overpriced because Nintendo has forfeited the console war and decided to establish itself as the Apple of video games. Not judging them, but it leads to situations like these.

Not an accessory issue but about once a month I have to do a hard reset of the system (using the power button on top of the system, not the Home button) in order to access any online functionality. I don't know why it bugs out like that but it was a frustrating issue to troubleshoot because resetting on the Home menu didn't work. You only ever have to press the power button once in your switch's lifespan, so I forgot it was there.

I have had ac adapters go bad with in a month so an ac adapter going bad is expected.  I tend to not buy a console until it has been out for a few months so that some of the bugs can be worked out.  Not a Switch problem since I have yet to buy one, but I had a problem with my copy of TMS not working when I went to load it for the first time, but I was able to take to the store and get a replacement copy.  Nintendo has pretty good quality control but every once in a long while their stuff has problems.  I like to wait until a console has been out at least 6 months before I buy one, and since I have yet to be able to find a Switch for retail price I am waiting to get one until FE Warriors comes out.  Maybe you should see if your Switch is still under warranty and see if they will replace your adapter.

29 minutes ago, Cerberus87 said:

It's overpriced because Nintendo has forfeited the console war and decided to establish itself as the Apple of video games. Not judging them, but it leads to situations like these.

That's funny, because I heard that right now, they're competing heavily with Apple for parts the Switch needs to be produced. :P

10 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

I have had ac adapters go bad with in a month so an ac adapter going bad is expected.  I tend to not buy a console until it has been out for a few months so that some of the bugs can be worked out.  Not a Switch problem since I have yet to buy one, but I had a problem with my copy of TMS not working when I went to load it for the first time, but I was able to take to the store and get a replacement copy.  Nintendo has pretty good quality control but every once in a long while their stuff has problems.  I like to wait until a console has been out at least 6 months before I buy one, and since I have yet to be able to find a Switch for retail price I am waiting to get one until FE Warriors comes out.  Maybe you should see if your Switch is still under warranty and see if they will replace your adapter.

Yeah, that might've been a good idea, except now nobody can find a Switch easily at all... And I'd like to try out Arms and maybe some other demos.

EDIT: Also, I actually already bought a cheaper adapter from Amazon. It had really good reviews, and was a best seller on the site, so I trust it.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

That's funny, because I heard that right now, they're competing heavily with Apple for parts the Switch needs to be produced. :P

Yeah, what I meant is that Nintendo made a product that allows them to kinda sidestep the market. No one expects the Switch to compete with the Xbox One X for example, as they're different enough that they can coexist and some people would easily own both.

Apple doesn't need to lead the smartphone market to be relevant there. They kinda are, by virtue of being Apple. They created the market and they only sell high end stuff. Nintendo decided to do something like this in gaming. :D

1 minute ago, Cerberus87 said:

Yeah, what I meant is that Nintendo made a product that allows them to kinda sidestep the market. No one expects the Switch to compete with the Xbox One X for example, as they're different enough that they can coexist and some people would easily own both.

Apple doesn't need to lead the smartphone market to be relevant there. They kinda are, by virtue of being Apple. They created the market and they only sell high end stuff. Nintendo decided to do something like this in gaming. :D

Ah, I see. I guess that makes sense then. Because competition with Sony and Microsoft is probably tough sometimes, even though I'd say Nintendo beat them all the time (to me, nothing beats some Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem, Smash, or Pokemon).

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Ah, I see. I guess that makes sense then. Because competition with Sony and Microsoft is probably tough sometimes, even though I'd say Nintendo beat them all the time (to me, nothing beats some Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem, Smash, or Pokemon).

Honestly, if Nintendo would just stop being so full of themselves and reach out to 3rd party devs, they would dominate The console market.

Having all the best 3rd party titles, say the Witcher 3 for example (that game is phenomenal btw) they would destory Sony and Microsoft. They can't compete with most of Nintendos' in house games like Mario and Zelda for example, and having those games along with all the other big name 3rd party games, Nintendo would be unstoppable.

1 minute ago, Elincia said:

Honestly, if Nintendo would just stop being so full of themselves and reach out to 3rd party devs, they would dominate The console market.

Having all the best 3rd party titles, say the Witcher 3 for example (that game is phenomenal btw) they would destory Sony and Microsoft. They can't compete with most of Nintendos' in house games like Mario and Zelda for example, and having those games along with all the other big name 3rd party games, Nintendo would be unstoppable.

Yeah, probably a good point here.

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, probably a good point here.

I have to agree, they are becoming the Apple of the gaming market, which is quite the sore point for me. (Cause I HATE Apple)

33 minutes ago, Elincia said:

I have to agree, they are becoming the Apple of the gaming market, which is quite the sore point for me. (Cause I HATE Apple)

I don't have an opinion of Apple since I never had any of their products, but this doesn't appear to be a good thing. It's probably Kimishima's fault. Iwata wouldn't have done this.

1 hour ago, Elincia said:

You can't do that while fitting your console with a Tegra X1 GPU. The Switch is kinda anemic and it's difficult to make most AAA titles run on it.

Not to mention Nintendo does still maintain a family friendly image that prevents some games from being on their consoles by the sole virtue of being too violent/controversial.

With the Wii they sorta stopped going after power. It did them good, until they went for a more conventional machine with the Wii U, and a more conventional machine requires both power and ease of development, of which the Wii U had neither. I think the Switch is a good concept, myself, despite lacking in power. As long as it turns a profit and keeps Nintendo relevant, that's ok in my book.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I don't have an opinion of Apple since I never had any of their products, but this doesn't appear to be a good thing. It's probably Kimishima's fault. Iwata wouldn't have done this.

Nintendo kinda has a history of being greedy, however I will give some prompts to Kimishima. The marketing as greatly improved since he took over. I mean just look at how good Nintendos' ads have gotten, especially when compared to the Wiiu. They gave the impression that the Wiiu was an add on to the original Wii, lol.

2 minutes ago, Elincia said:

Nintendo kinda has a history of being greedy, however I will give some prompts to Kimishima. The marketing as greatly improved since he took over. I mean just look at how good Nintendos' ads have gotten, especially when compared to the Wiiu. They gave the impression that the Wiiu was an add on to the original Wii, lol.

Yeah, but I've a feeling that marketing would've improved regardless. Iwata himself even said he wanted to and intended to do better as far as I know.

6 minutes ago, Cerberus87 said:

You can't do that while fitting your console with a Tegra X1 GPU. The Switch is kinda anemic and it's difficult to make most AAA titles run on it.

Not to mention Nintendo does still maintain a family friendly image that prevents some games from being on their consoles by the sole virtue of being too violent/controversial.

With the Wii they sorta stopped going after power. It did them good, until they went for a more conventional machine with the Wii U, and a more conventional machine requires both power and ease of development, of which the Wii U had neither. I think the Switch is a good concept, myself, despite lacking in power. As long as it turns a profit and keeps Nintendo relevant, that's ok in my book.

They could have gone with the Tegra X2, then it wont have been an issue. Not saying that it need to be the most powerful console on the market, just powerful enough for 3rd party devs to more easily develop games for it. Plus the whole point to them needing 3rd party support is to avoid the huge game droughts that many of their past consoles (the Wiiu especially) suffered from. Their in house development teams can only pump out games so fast, there needs to be something to fill in the gaps in between new first party releases. 

I really wish they would stop trying so hard to appeal to children. The average gamer is like around 30, and they should be wanting to appeal to them more. That's not to say that it's bad to have some games that are family friendly, but that shouldn't be their main focus.

They screwed themselves with the Wiiu, cause they thought they could replicate the success that the Wii had, but we all know how that turned out. I do like the Switch's concept though, just wished it was more powerful than it is.  It is what it is though, cant change it at this point Unless they pull a Sony or Microsoft and release a more powerful version of it.

26 minutes ago, Elincia said:

I really wish they would stop trying so hard to appeal to children. The average gamer is like around 30, and they should be wanting to appeal to them more. That's not to say that it's bad to have some games that are family friendly, but that shouldn't be their main focus.

No way, because a lot of what Microsoft and Sony consoles get are M rated violent and sexual games. A lot of shooters too. And generic sports games. Not everyone wants to play those. I'm 26, just to point out, and I enjoy Nintendo's family friendliness way more than a lot of blood and gore. I won't get many family friendly games on Sony or Microsoft consoles.

I'm glad Nintendo's main focus is family friendly. Because it sure as hell isn't anybody else's.

Edited by Anacybele

49 minutes ago, Elincia said:

They could have gone with the Tegra X2, then it wont have been an issue. Not saying that it need to be the most powerful console on the market, just powerful enough for 3rd party devs to more easily develop games for it. Plus the whole point to them needing 3rd party support is to avoid the huge game droughts that many of their past consoles (the Wiiu especially) suffered from. Their in house development teams can only pump out games so fast, there needs to be something to fill in the gaps in between new first party releases. 

They screwed themselves with the Wiiu, cause they thought they could replicate the success that the Wii had, but we all know how that turned out. I do like the Switch's concept though, just wished it was more powerful than it is.  It is what it is though, cant change it at this point Unless they pull a Sony or Microsoft and release a more powerful version of it.

25 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

No way, because a lot of what Microsoft and Sony consoles get are M rated violent and sexual games. A lot of shooters too. And generic sports games. Not everyone wants to play those. I'm 26, just to point out, and I enjoy Nintendo's family friendliness way more than a lot of blood and gore. I won't get many family friendly games on Sony or Microsoft consoles.

I'm glad Nintendo's main focus is family friendly. Because it sure as hell isn't anybody else's.

Well, I agree with Ana on this, I mean, I've got Ori on the Xbox and will get Yooka-Laylee on it as well once it's on sale, and I'm almost 30. Though I also believe the Switch needs some mature games... In the N64 days it was easier since Rare took care of the mature stuff, but now it's a bit more difficult.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

My biggest issue with Nintendo's games is their narratives. A story can take the structure of narratives like Game of Thrones, Witcher, or even Dark Souls without overt violence and sex. Why not make games where the decisions have concrete consequences for the world around the player? Why not approach the writing with the mentality that the protagonist must earn their survival/success instead of having it handed to them? Why not write a story with issues that not only resonate with a 10 year old, but with an 18, 22, or 30 year old? 

These are things Nintendo often struggles with in the narratives of their games, (thank Naga FE hasn't fallen to Pokemon's level yet), and I'm disappointed that Nintendo has seemingly refused to address this, however, they still seem stuck in their tropes and fail to shift their targeted audience away from 10 year olds.