What's a maverick?

Emeraldfox

mav·er·ick

mav·er·ick [mávvərik, mávvrik]

(plural mav·er·icks)

n

1. independent person: somebody who holds independent views and who refuses to conform to the accepted or orthodox thinking on a subject

2. agriculture unbranded animal: an unbranded animal, especially a calf that has become separated from its mother and herd. By convention, it can become the property of whoever finds it and brands it.

[Mid-19th century. Origin uncertain: probably named for Samuel Augustus Maverick (1803–1870), a Texas cattle owner who did not brand some of his calves.]

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

"A maverick is a person who thinks independently; a lone dissenter; a non-conformist or rebel; it can also mean an unbranded range animal, especially a motherless calf."

lolol Wikipedia

EDIT: FIREMAN BEAT ME

I've always wondered that too, though... it's been a while since I've heard that word

'maverick'

Edited by Porom

As far as I know, a maverick is a calf/cow that has escaped a ranch... at least it had something to do with cows and the wild west :lol:

I can't recall what a maverick was exactly >_<

EDIT: Reading the above posts, I shouldn't listen to my history teachers anymore >_>

Edited by Tino

As far as I know, a maverick is a calf/cow that has escaped a ranch... at least it had something to do with cows and the wild west :lol:

I can't recall what a maverick was exactly >_<

EDIT: Reading the above posts, I shouldn't listen to my history teachers anymore >_>

It's not surprising that a history teacher would give you the antiquated meaning of the word. :P