Unit Promotion: Will this work?

Pitchfork

Still new to playing Fates / Conquest. I've played Awakening but the way you promote is different in fates. I'd like confirmation if this will work before doing it.

I want skills from three separate classes on Camilla (regardless as to whether or not it's the BEST setup) ending back with being a Malign Knight again.

To accomplish this, would I:

(Starting as) MALIGN KNIGHT (Get to 20 for max stats)

(Friendship Seal with Arthur) BERSERKER (Max out)

(obtain and use) SKILL SCROLL - Aether

(Friendship Seal with Beruka) MALIGN KNIGHT (Max out)

I just want to know if that would be the correct way to accomplish that goal, whether or not it is the BEST option.

Would I even need to Friendship Seal with Beruka to promote back into Malign Knight from Berserker? Or would the option just be available when Master Sealing?

Nope - for one, you'd need an extremely expensive Eternal Seal to continue leveling after maxing out. And second, you shouldn't expect to max out until the very end of the game, if at all. Also, because of a quirk in the way friendship and partner seals work, befriending Beruka is no different from marrying Arthur, class wise.

Given Camilla's internal level being about 5 less than listed for the purpose of EXP gain, getting Camilla in particular to --/20 by the end of the game is quite realistic - its roughly equivalent to getting other characters to level 15 promoted. 

You don't need anything special to return to Malig - you only need one of Beruka or Arthur to get Fighter.  

The best way would just get Camilla married to Arthur OR friended to Beruka, get her switched into Berserker (idea timing would be at level 11 promoted to get its key skills learned at the earliest possible level, but don't worry too much) - you get Axefaire exactly on level 15 that way.  Then switch back to Malig Knight and learn Trample at level 16.   

3 minutes ago, astrophys said:

You don't need anything special to return to Malig - you only need one of Beruka or Arthur to get Fighter.  

So If I Friend Sealed her with Arthur to get Berserker I could just Master Seal her to return to Malign Knight?

3 minutes ago, astrophys said:

The best way would just get Camilla married to Arthur OR friended to Beruka, get her switched into Berserker (idea timing would be at level 11 promoted to get its key skills learned at the earliest possible level, but don't worry too much) - you get Axefaire exactly on level 15 that way.  Then switch back to Malig Knight and learn Trample at level 16.   

Is it not good to reach 20 in each class before switching for max stats? I just rem that being the thing to do in Awakening, but not sure if that's really necessary here.

57 minutes ago, Pitchfork said:

Is it not good to reach 20 in each class before switching for max stats? I just rem that being the thing to do in Awakening, but not sure if that's really necessary here.

Level doesn't reset when class changing in this game (and you can do it without needing to hit level 10 first). Going from a level 6 Malig Knight to Berserker will make you a level 6 Berserker. And you can just use a Heart Seal to turn Camilla back to Malig Knight (or make her a Wyvern Lord or Sorcerer or Dark Knight). If you hit level 20 before class changing to learn a different class's skills, you won't be able to learn said skills due to not being able to level up anymore (an Eternal Seal would raise the level cap and fix this though).

Also, because promoted classes can't revert to unpromoted ones in this game, unlike Awakening, if a character in a promoted class levels up and hasn't learned the unpromoted skills of the class the promoted class came from, you'll get the unpromoted skills first. So let's say you have Camilla A+ Selena and have her turn into a Hero. She would on her first level up learn Strong Riposte, and on her second Good Fortune, she'd only learn Sol after her third level (provided she was at at least level 5). She wouldn't learn HP+5 or Gamble, despite Heroes being able to get that, because the origins of Camilla's Hero access is from Mercenary and not Fighter. Now if you had her A+ Selena and S Arthur and made her a Hero, she'd learn all of HP+5, Gamble, Strong Riposte, and Good Fortune (not sure of the exact order of learning) before getting Sol.

29 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Level doesn't reset when class changing in this game (and you can do it without needing to hit level 10 first). Going from a level 6 Malig Knight to Berserker will make you a level 6 Berserker. And you can just use a Heart Seal to turn Camilla back to Malig Knight (or make her a Wyvern Lord or Sorcerer or Dark Knight). If you hit level 20 before class changing to learn a different class's skills, you won't be able to learn said skills due to not being able to level up anymore (an Eternal Seal would raise the level cap and fix this though).

Also, because promoted classes can't revert to unpromoted ones in this game, unlike Awakening, if a character in a promoted class levels up and hasn't learned the unpromoted skills of the class the promoted class came from, you'll get the unpromoted skills first. So let's say you have Camilla A+ Selena and have her turn into a Hero. She would on her first level up learn Strong Riposte, and on her second Good Fortune, she'd only learn Sol after her third level (provided she was at at least level 5). She wouldn't learn HP+5 or Gamble, despite Heroes being able to get that, because the origins of Camilla's Hero access is from Mercenary and not Fighter. Now if you had her A+ Selena and S Arthur and made her a Hero, she'd learn all of HP+5, Gamble, Strong Riposte, and Good Fortune (not sure of the exact order of learning) before getting Sol.

Omg, THANK you! I think I finally understand all this. Your response and @astrophys helped so much. 

Honestly, I miss Awakenings system. It was just simpler :/ 

Fates' skill learning system is more nuanced than Awakening's.   Thankfully, it cuts out a lot of the grinding - all the skills from a base class to the top skill of one of its promotions can be learned in the course of four levels if your level is sufficiently high [12, 13, 14, 15], etc.    Whereas you needed to grind out 15 levels to do that in Awakening.   

16 minutes ago, astrophys said:

Fates' skill learning system is more nuanced than Awakening's.   Thankfully, it cuts out a lot of the grinding - all the skills from a base class to the top skill of one of its promotions can be learned in the course of four levels if your level is sufficiently high [12, 13, 14, 15], etc.    Whereas you needed to grind out 15 levels to do that in Awakening.   

And on top of that, if I wanted a level 5 promoted skill in Awakening, but didn't care for the level 15 skill, I'm stuck either having to stay in that class for another 5 levels or I have to demote and use another Master Seal - both options are pretty inconvenient.

What you could to this:

Get Camilla to level 11 of Malig Knight.  Then use the Partner Seal (if Married to Arthur) or Heart Seal (if A+ with Beruka). 

Then at level 12 of Berserker, Camilla will learn HP +5.  At level 13 of Berserker, Camilla will learn Gamble.  At level 14 of Berserker, Camilla will learn Rally Strength, and then at level 15, she will learn Axefaire.

Depending on who Camilla marries sometimes I will just Heart Seal Camilla to Sorcerer, so I can wait until Camilla gets to level 15 in that class so I can pass down Bowbreaker; especially when it comes to a kid like Percy (Arthur's son).

2 hours ago, MeddlingMage said:

What you could to this:

Get Camilla to level 11 of Malig Knight.  Then use the Partner Seal (if Married to Arthur) or Friendship Seal (if A+ with Beruka). 

Then at level 12 of Berserker, Camilla will learn HP +5.  At level 13 of Berserker, Camilla will learn Gamble.  At level 14 of Berserker, Camilla will learn Rally Strength, and then at level 15, she will learn Axefaire.

Depending on who Camilla marries sometimes I will just Heart Seal Camilla to Sorcerer, so I can wait until Camilla gets to level 15 in that class so I can pass down Bowbreaker; especially when it comes to a kid like Percy (Arthur's son).

Fixed that for ya. A Heart Seal only allows them to reclass amongst the unit's class trees.