Second Bond Conversation-- Mercer/Merc I mean Chrom/Ryoma

The DanMan

Honestly, they are probably the best for this support since you have one of the strongest characters in Fire Emblem with Chrom and a super fast character in Ryoma. They may have the most to learn from each other.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jave said:

Yeah, it's almost as if they want you to buy the game to view the whole thing. 

No need for the snark. It would be alright if we were getting a steady stream of news-- but the only thing we've gotten for the better part of a month is a couple of bond conversation snippets.

It's going to be a bit of an uphill battle once they start actually promoting the game.

11 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

"one of the strongest characters" pretty much applies to Marth and the other lords too...

2 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

He's referring to the fact that Chrom apparently regularly destroys things during his training.  Marth's style is more speed and technique than Strength.

Yeah, basically, Chrom is a bruiser while Marth is a fencer. Chrom can break a castle wall (which are really thick) with a hole big enough for a person to fit through...before he became a hero in the game (before the game started at all in fact). In other words, he's really really strong.

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

Yeah, basically, Chrom is a bruiser while Marth is a fencer. Chrom can break a castle wall (which are really thick) with a hole big enough for a person to fit through...before he became a hero in the game (before the game started at all in fact). In other words, he's really really strong.

Lucina can break through the castle wall too, but she definitely doesn't look all that strong physically. I think it's their Falchion and fighting style that does that, not their physical strength. And having physical strength doesn't mean you're a good fighter either.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Lucina can break through the castle wall too, but she definitely doesn't look all that strong physically. I think it's their Falchion and fighting style that does that, not their physical strength. And having physical strength doesn't mean you're a good fighter either.

Chrom doesn't look strong enough to do that either since I'm pretty sure it's humanly impossible, besides, it's not stated that she breaks the outer defensive wall of a castle that is designed to fend off armies. It could just be a wooden wall. In either case, Falchion is never stated to grant superhuman strength. Maybe it's genetic or has to do with the brand, but none of the others manifest that kind of strength.

No, it doesn't mean they're good necessarily, but he's clearly good or he wouldn't be here. The point I was trying to make is that Chrom and Ryoma have styles on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Chrom focuses on his immense strength while Ryoma focuses on speed and precision therefore, they have plenty to learn from each other's styles. 

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

Chrom doesn't look strong enough to do that either since I'm pretty sure it's humanly impossible, besides, it's not stated that she breaks the outer defensive wall of a castle that is designed to fend off armies. It could just be a wooden wall. In either case, Falchion is never stated to grant superhuman strength. Maybe it's genetic or has to do with the brand, but none of the others manifest that kind of strength.

No, it doesn't mean they're good necessarily, but he's clearly good or he wouldn't be here. The point I was trying to make is that Chrom and Ryoma have styles on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Chrom focuses on his immense strength while Ryoma focuses on speed and precision therefore, they have plenty to learn from each other's styles. 

I actually agree, it doesn't actually look possible for them and it's another reason I don't like Chrom or Lucina. They seem to be unrealistically strong for what their builds make them out to be and they look dumb this way to me. If it's actually their physical strength that's meant to be the reason. But we don't know for sure.

I didn't say Falchion granted superhuman strength, I meant to imply that Falchion could be such a powerful blade that it can put a hole in a castle wall without the need of a lot of muscle behind it. But again, we don't know for sure.

Well yeah, but I'm saying that Chrom being physically strong at all doesn't mean he's one of the strongest FE characters in general. Strong refers to more than just physical strength in this sense.

4 hours ago, Nohr Crystal said:

The one thing I want in life is an actually decent VG movie.

Watch Castlevania on Netflix. The four episodes together are adapted from a full movie script that starts a trilogy. And it's really good if you can stand the excessive gore!

Come on IS, don't make me beg for the Warriors' Fates trailer.

21 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I actually agree, it doesn't actually look possible for them and it's another reason I don't like Chrom or Lucina. They seem to be unrealistically strong for what their builds make them out to be and they look dumb this way to me. If it's actually their physical strength that's meant to be the reason. But we don't know for sure.

I didn't say Falchion granted superhuman strength, I meant to imply that Falchion could be such a powerful blade that it can put a hole in a castle wall without the need of a lot of muscle behind it. But again, we don't know for sure.

Well yeah, but I'm saying that Chrom being physically strong at all doesn't mean he's one of the strongest FE characters in general. Strong refers to more than just physical strength in this sense.

Actually, since this is going back to my original statement, it does indeed mean physical strength as that was what I was referring to like in Heroes how they practically worshiped Ike's strength. He may not be overall the strongest, but physically, they are both up there. Strongest overall would probably go to Marth because plot.

7 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Watch Castlevania on Netflix. The four episodes together are adapted from a full movie script that starts a trilogy. And it's really good if you can stand the excessive gore!

Eh, it was really too short though. It was okay, but I need more than four episodes.

18 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Actually, since this is going back to my original statement, it does indeed mean physical strength as that was what I was referring to like in Heroes how they practically worshiped Ike's strength. He may not be overall the strongest, but physically, they are both up there. Strongest overall would probably go to Marth because plot.

I disagree. When FE mentions how Ike is the strongest of all heroes, they're talking about not just his physical strength, but also his sword skills and experience. Ike is the only lord who's sole focus is being a strong warrior and mercenary commander, and taking out bad guys is his life while the other lords have political stuff to deal with since they're nobles and royals, so it makes sense that Ike would end up being better as a warrior than all the others.

Also, Ike is definitely stronger than Chrom physically. Look at those muscles in RD. Bigger than Chrom's for sure (though not by a whole lot). And Ike was able to swing Ragnell around with one hand like it was nothing before that. Ragnell and Alondite are two of the heaviest weapons in the series. They're actually heavier than Urvan, a massive battle axe.

Edited by Anacybele

50 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

No need for the snark. It would be alright if we were getting a steady stream of news-- but the only thing we've gotten for the better part of a month is a couple of bond conversation snippets.

It's going to be a bit of an uphill battle once they start actually promoting the game.

I'm not sure why does there need to be a "steady stream of news". Since e3 we've gotten a couple of trailers, gameplay  footage, snippets on the story and convos... that's more than what most games get.

It's only been three weeks since the last big reveal which included four playable characters and we've gotten smaller stuff in between. Being eager to see new stuff is perfectly fine, but I don't think IntSys/Koei have been unreasonable with how they've revealed info. We're not THAT entitled. 

5 minutes ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

I mean, Effie can crush trees and she's super tiny, and around the same age as Elise. Anime strength is weird.

Yeah, it is weird sometimes. Too weird for my tastes. How can she do that with those skinny arms?

55 minutes ago, Jave said:

I'm not sure why does there need to be a "steady stream of news". Since e3 we've gotten a couple of trailers, gameplay  footage, snippets on the story and convos... that's more than what most games get.

It's only been three weeks since the last big reveal which included four playable characters and we've gotten smaller stuff in between. Being eager to see new stuff is perfectly fine, but I don't think IntSys/Koei have been unreasonable with how they've revealed info. We're not THAT entitled. 

That and they are probably waiting for 1 of 2 things, potentially even both. Gamescom, which is in August. If they arent there I will be shocked. Or, they will headline a Direct. Not the entire direct, but definitely get the focus. Either one of those, or both will happen.

The only thing I am surprised at is still no concrete release date for the West other than Fall. It releases in Japan on September 27th, so we are about 2 months out from its release date in Japan and still have no release date for the rest of the world.

57 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I disagree. When FE mentions how Ike is the strongest of all heroes, they're talking about not just his physical strength, but also his sword skills and experience. Ike is the only lord who's sole focus is being a strong warrior and mercenary commander, and taking out bad guys is his life while the other lords have political stuff to deal with since they're nobles and royals, so it makes sense that Ike would end up being better as a warrior than all the others.

Also, Ike is definitely stronger than Chrom physically. Look at those muscles in RD. Bigger than Chrom's for sure (though not by a whole lot). And Ike was able to swing Ragnell around with one hand like it was nothing before that. Ragnell and Alondite are two of the heaviest weapons in the series. They're actually heavier than Urvan, a massive battle axe.

As pointed out above, muscles really don't matter when you're doing feats that the strongest person alive couldn't manage so stop swooning over big arms over there. Also, you don't know what they were referring to in Heroes. Being a lifelong mercenary doesn't really make you a great warrior by default as most low level early game enemies are life long mercenaries and bandits. As for commander, he only issues commands much like Chrom, he doesn't come up with them like Marth. He fights a lot, but does that mean he has stronger will or better leadership qualities (than those who lead nations)? No, not really. Also, Chrom can use Ragnell with one hand (and even throw the thing) too in Awakening so that argument falls flat.

I know you love Ike, but that doesn't mean he's necessarily the best.

9 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

As pointed out above, muscles really don't matter when you're doing feats that the strongest person alive couldn't manage so stop swooning over big arms over there. Also, you don't know what they were referring to in Heroes. Being a lifelong mercenary doesn't really make you a great warrior by default as most low level early game enemies are life long mercenaries and bandits. As for commander, he only issues commands much like Chrom, he doesn't come up with them like Marth. He fights a lot, but does that mean he has stronger will or better leadership qualities (than those who lead nations)? No, not really. Also, Chrom can use Ragnell with one hand (and even throw the thing) too in Awakening so that argument falls flat.

I know you love Ike, but that doesn't mean he's necessarily the best.

First of all, can you stop accusing my arguments of only being because I'm an Ike fan(girl)? I'm presenting you actual facts, nothing relating to my favoritism for him.

Besides, I can easily accuse you of doing the same with Chrom, since you're a Chrom fanboy. But I'm not, because I doubt that's your intention, just as it's not my intention with Ike.

Being a lifelong mercenary does mean you train a lot to increase your skill, because your job is to fight enemies and defeat them. By RD's end, Ike's been doing that for maybe four years. Decent time to get in good training and build the muscle he has. He was also trained by his father, who was one of the best swordsmen in Tellius. Also, he defeated the two most powerful people in Tellius: Ashnard and the Black Knight.

Old Hubba in Awakening referred to Ike as the mightiest of heroes, rather than simply the strongest, so I can safely assume that it's talking about skill and experience as well as physical strength.

Leadership is irrelevant here. We're talking about being a warrior, not a leader. I mentioned the mercenary commander part because of the mercenary thing, not the leadership thing.

I know you love Chrom, but that doesn't mean he's necessarily the best. See how easily I could say that to you because of what you said? I don't seriously mean it, of course, I'm just trying to show you how hypocritical you sound right now even though as I said, I'm sure it isn't your intention. I mean no offense, I just don't want to keep clashing with you like we have recently.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

First of all, can you stop accusing my arguments of only being because I'm an Ike fan(girl)? I'm presenting you actual facts, nothing relating to my favoritism for him.

Besides, I can easily accuse you of doing the same with Chrom, since you're a Chrom fanboy. But I'm not, because I doubt that's your intention, just as it's not my intention with Ike.

Being a lifelong mercenary does mean you train a lot to increase your skill, because your job is to fight enemies and defeat them. By RD's end, Ike's been doing that for maybe four years. Decent time to get in good training and build the muscle he has. He was also trained by his father, who was one of the best swordsmen in Tellius. Also, he defeated the two most powerful people in Tellius: Ashnard and the Black Knight.

Old Hubba in Awakening referred to Ike as the mightiest of heroes, rather than simply the strongest, so I can safely assume that it's talking about skill and experience as well as physical strength.

Leadership is irrelevant here. We're talking about being a warrior, not a leader. I mentioned the mercenary commander part because of the mercenary thing, not the leadership thing.

I know you love Chrom, but that doesn't mean he's necessarily the best. See how easily I could say that to you because of what you said? I don't seriously mean it, of course, I'm just trying to show you how hypocritical you sound right now even though as I said, I'm sure it isn't your intention. I mean no offense, I just don't want to keep clashing with you like we have recently.

What Hubba said actually supports Chrom cause guess what? Chrom won.

Chrom bests Walhart too who is said to border on immortal and he didn't need any magic shenanigans to beat him like most of the final bosses (Grima and Ashera).

Leadership is relevant if we are gauging who is the strongest overall which you seem so keen on doing.

For you to not mean any offense, you sure word things offensively.

5 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

What Hubba said actually supports Chrom cause guess what? Chrom won.

Chrom bests Walhart too who is said to border on immortal and he didn't need any magic shenanigans to beat him like most of the final bosses (Grima and Ashera).

Leadership is relevant if we are gauging who is the strongest overall which you seem so keen on doing.

For you to not mean any offense, you sure word things offensively.

Won what?

Ike didn't need any magic or help to beat Ashnard or the BK either. The BK was literally immortal for awhile because blessed armor. You simply do not know enough about Ike to say he's not a better fighter than Chrom. I know plenty about both. I've given you facts about Ike and you've yet to argue against them (the thing about Ragnell being super heavy, Ike beating Ashnard and the BK with no help, etc).

And what word should I have used other than hypocritical? Because I couldn't think of anything better to describe how you sounded.

Me: Ike did this and this so he's stronger.

You: Chrom did this and this, so he's stronger. I know you love Ike, that doesn't make him stronger.

That's basically how it's going. Me presenting facts about Ike only makes me biased, but you presenting anything for Chrom doesn't make you biased for him at all? That's why you sound hypocritical. And as I said, I'm not accusing you of doing that intentionally. THAT would definitely be offensive.

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, Gustavos said:

Just watched the first episode, did not disappoint.  Thanks~

26 minutes ago, Nohr Crystal said:

Just watched the first episode, did not disappoint.  Thanks~

yw

22 minutes ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

Chrom has a higher Strength growth than Ike so he's undeniably "stronger" ;):

Gameplay is the highest priority of canon ~ Chrom's 60 to Ike's 50 and 55 in Radiant Dawn. :o:

'Course I tend to chalk up the inflated growths of Awakening to it being so far in the future. A renaissance era implies that the average person doesn't spend six out of 7 days of every week of their lives bedridden with illness or searching for food and water because their life actually depends on it. Maybe Chrom knows what germs are. Maybe that's why Robin reacted with disgust when a frog was put down his coat, rather than reacting with "hey thanks for the meal".

32 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Won what?

Ike didn't need any magic or help to beat Ashnard or the BK either. The BK was literally immortal for awhile because blessed armor. You simply do not know enough about Ike to say he's not a better fighter than Chrom. I know plenty about both. I've given you facts about Ike and you've yet to argue against them (the thing about Ragnell being super heavy, Ike beating Ashnard and the BK with no help, etc).

And what word should I have used other than hypocritical? Because I couldn't think of anything better to describe how you sounded.

Me: Ike did this and this so he's stronger.

You: Chrom did this and this, so he's stronger. I know you love Ike, that doesn't make him stronger.

That's basically how it's going. Me presenting facts about Ike only makes me biased, but you presenting anything for Chrom doesn't make you biased for him at all? That's why you sound hypocritical. And as I said, I'm not accusing you of doing that intentionally. THAT would definitely be offensive.

You still seem to deny my facts that at least say Chrom could challenge Ike in strength. You're unwilling to accept that it's possible. Chrom and Ike's unmagical feats side by side are rather similar which is why I keep going back to the wall. Something Ike never matched. Acknowledge that it's possible, and we can walk away from this right now.

Also, I'm talking about the DLC where you fought Ike where Hubba actually talks about him. Chrom and the Shepherds handily take them all down.

7 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

You still seem to deny my facts that at least say Chrom could challenge Ike in strength. You're unwilling to accept that it's possible. Chrom and Ike's unmagical feats side by side are rather similar which is why I keep going back to the wall. Something Ike never matched. Acknowledge that it's possible, and we can walk away from this right now.

Also, I'm talking about the DLC where you fought Ike where Hubba actually talks about him. Chrom and the Shepherds handily take them all down.

Because I don't think it IS possible when I compare RD Ike's muscularity to Chrom's. To me, Ike physically looks a good deal stronger. That's all.

I can't acknowledge that it's possible if I don't actually believe it is.

And of course Chrom and company would be able to take them down in that case, it wouldn't make sense gameplay-wise if they couldn't. Lore-wise, I'm pretty sure the Greil Mercs would man-handle Chrom's group. Most of the Shepherds are novices with not a lot of experience. Frederick is the only veteran on the team. Meanwhile, the Greil Mercs have Titania, Shinon, and Oscar, all veterans and former Royal Knights. And Rhys who's been treating the wounded for years.

And this is coming from a Frederick fangirl. Yes, I believe he would lose to Titania at least. Maybe not Oscar or Shinon, but Titania, yes.

Edited by Anacybele