Humor in Fire Emblem the good and the bad

Locke087

2 hours ago, Thane said:

I disagree. Sure, I understand preferences, but saying "it has always been that way so why bother changing it" is not an attitude that sits well with me, and it would come across as some mental gymnastics to justify girls in mini skirts in a medieval setting serving in the army in one breath and complaining about the language in the other.

Its not a case of "Its always been tgat,way so why bother changing it". People do talk about ways to implement siege tactics into the game (and we have been given the occasional diliberitly ugly character). Its not even about realism, as Extrasolar points out, its more victorian and late English that is spoken in the older games. It comes down to the fact that the games used to do things one way and now they do things a completely different way. Its like discussing wether or not you like Con and plot based promotions for lords.

Edited by Jotari

8 hours ago, Thane said:

it would come across as some mental gymnastics to justify girls in mini skirts in a medieval setting serving in the army in one breath and complaining about the language in the other.

I will point out like a couple posters before me that FE never had actual medieval English and that's not what we mean when referring to the language used in prior entries. FE has simply used a more formal version of modern English, which has usually reflected the serious tone of its stories. On a spectrum with totally accurate medieval English on one end and modern slang on the other, it may be somewhere in the middle. Similarly, on a spectrum with realistic medieval settings on one end and fanservicey fantasy anime on the other, FE has traditionally also been somewhere in the middle, which is why people may be more inclined to accept skirt-wearing Pegasus knights but less accepting of armour with boobplates and butt-windows, and expect more formality than slang.

It's not even just the formal slang(Which is still pretty jarring) that puts me off. It's the references to modern culture that bother me most. They're almost always used for comedy, too. And this is definitely more on the localization team that this has become a problem.

Like, there's no reason for a Mystery Science Theater 3000 reference in Awakening. I love MST3K(Hence my location. Not a Lou Reed reference.), but it's clear that in the localization process, somebody was translating Owain's supports, and went "Hm... I don't know what to do here while Owain is listing off goofy sword names. Ah fuck it, here are a bunch of references, nobody will care."

It didn't make me laugh or immerse me anymore, it just made me sit back and go "Was that a MST3K reference?"

Edited by Slumber