NFL 2017-2018 Season - Eagles win their first Super Bowl!

Anacybele

2008 is a longer streak than 2014! You guys beat us at home in 2008, 2010, and 2012 (we got the sweep in 2011, 2015, and we won at home in 2016). It's definitely not a guarantee, especially since the 2012 team was, at the time, miles better than the 2012 Steelers team.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Lord Raven said:

2008 is a longer streak than 2014! You guys beat us at home in 2008, 2010, and 2012 (we got the sweep in 2011, 2015, and we won at home in 2016). It's definitely not a guarantee, especially since the 2012 team was, at the time, miles better than the 2012 Steelers team.

Eh, well, a streak is a streak to me. We'll just have to see what happens on Sunday tho.

Yeah I’m just saying that our 2012 team was way better than the 2012 Steelers and they beat us in Baltimore (that was our first home loss since 2010 btw) and it’s the situation in reverse 

I'm confused, are you saying the Steelers now are much better? Maybe if our defense was still healthy (it was top 3 before the injuries), but with the injuries and the Ravens playing better now than they were at the start of the season, they may be closer to evenly matched.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I'm confused, are you saying the Steelers now are much better? Maybe if our defense was still healthy (it was top 3 before the injuries), but with the injuries and the Ravens playing better now than they were at the start of the season, they may be closer to evenly matched.

The Ravens are right around where they were at the start of the season. Offense has like one or two games where they look like classic Flacco, and then a few games of the defense doing their best to keep the shutout and the offense doing their best to get the fastest three and out possible.

The Steelers won a bunch of close games and can actually drive and score. I think everyone who is complaining about their offense this season needs to see the Ravens passing game. It's literally ranked #32, and Flacco himself said that throwing for 290 yards on Sunday felt like a 600 yard game the way they've been playing.

In 2012 the Steelers were having issues with phases of their game and consistency, whereas the 2012 Ravens started 9-2 and hosted their rivals at home with home field advantage and the division on the line. Some more facts: the 2012 Ravens were considered to have a pretty damn good offense, and the Steelers were mediocre to bad that year on offense. especially with Ben missing games. Ravens were eking out a lot of close wins, and had a 44-13 loss to the Texans (compare Steelers and Jaguars). I actually remember rooting for the Pats in the divisional round because of that Texans game.

Edited by Lord Raven

9 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

The Ravens are right around where they were at the start of the season. Offense has like one or two games where they look like classic Flacco, and then a few games of the defense doing their best to keep the shutout and the offense doing their best to get the fastest three and out possible.

The Steelers won a bunch of close games and can actually drive and score. I think everyone who is complaining about their offense this season needs to see the Ravens passing game. It's literally ranked #32, and Flacco himself said that throwing for 290 yards on Sunday felt like a 600 yard game the way they've been playing.

But the Ravens weren't putting up almost 50-burgers at the start of the season and now they are. Before that, Flacco looked bad and his squad could barely score at all. They actually went 6 whole quarters without scoring anything until they finally put up I think 9 points in the second half vs the Steelers. xP And now they can put up 44 points? Something changed.

But the Steelers can drive and score alright. Hell, they've shown TWICE that you can't count them out even if they're down by two scores! lol I just worry about our defensive injuries and AB's toe. AB could still play well, but he wasn't returning punts or being targeted quite as much vs the Bengals because of his swollen toe. Also, not having Smith-Schuster this Sunday... Eli Rogers and Martavis Bryant fill in for him okay, but they still haven't done quite as much cool stuff as he did. I'm just glad we're still deep as an ocean at WR. Tomlin and Colbert really know good receivers!

Edited by Anacybele

Actually we were doing well against Miami, Oakland, and Detroit. We put up 30 against Oakland and 40 against Miami, and 26 of those 40 were on offense (and 19 with a backup QB). We looked incompetent against Houston and we only put up 23 despite like 6 takeaways on Green Bay (that should've been a 45-0 rout easily with any other passing offense).

Detroit's defense blows too.

Flacco's playing okay, he has some good games here and there (and some putrid shit, sub-200 yard passing games) but the receivers aren't reliable. I think they may be just hitting their stride, but who knows, I give up. Our offense has been really Jekyll and Hyde this season.

He didn't play well against the Steelers though. That offense that game was still not indicative of our offense, but the Detroit game is nowhere close to how our offense looked even in the previous week against Houston. Our defense is some next level shit though.

Edited by Lord Raven

1 minute ago, Lord Raven said:

Actually we were doing well against Miami, Oakland, and Detroit. We put up 30 against Oakland and 40 against Miami, and 26 of those 40 were on offense (and 19 with a backup QB). We looked incompetent against Houston and we only put up 23 despite like 6 takeaways on Green Bay (that should've been a 45-0 rout easily with any other passing offense).

Detroit's defense blows too.

Flacco's playing okay, he has some good games here and there (and some putrid shit, sub-200 yard passing games) but the receivers aren't reliable. I think they may be just hitting their stride, but who knows, I give up. Our offense has been really Jekyll and Hyde this week.

I see. Yeah, that does seem like a Jekyll and Hyde scenario. What I'm surprised at is how long it's taking for the Ravens to get real receivers. They haven't had any for what...a good few years, I think?

Detroit's offense is weird sometimes too. They got in the redzone vs the Steelers FOUR TIMES and came way with zilch. lol

Just now, Anacybele said:

They haven't had any for what...a good few years, I think?

This man was a champion, and if we win it all we better give it to him.

But yeah, aside from Steve Smith...  Boldin, Mason (in different years), and right now Wallace/Maclin...  Wallace/Maclin would've been a good receiving group like 5 years ago.

Just now, Lord Raven said:

This man was a champion, and if we win it all we better give it to him.

But yeah, aside from Steve Smith...  Boldin, Mason (in different years), and right now Wallace/Maclin...  Wallace/Maclin would've been a good receiving group like 5 years ago.

But Steve Smith was old and only lasted like three seasons or so with them. He wasn't going to give Flacco a reliable long term target. Wallace hasn't been that good since he was with us. Jeremy Maclin I'm not sure about, I never really knew much about him.

I just realized that not only are the Ravens and the Steelers facing off this week, we also have the Rams vs. the Eagles, the Saints vs. the Falcons, and the Vikings vs. the Panthers.

What a massive week.

18 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I just realized that not only are the Ravens and the Steelers facing off this week, we also have the Rams vs. the Eagles, the Saints vs. the Falcons, and the Vikings vs. the Panthers.

What a massive week.

NFL loves putting divisional matchups towards the end of a regular season for suspense and hype and to make the battles for divisional crowns more interesting. It makes sense on one hand, but also causes some annoyances on the other. But watcha gonna do really.

I can't really be against it though, because without it, we might not have gotten that amazing Steelers vs Ravens Christmas match last year. :P

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

NFL loves putting divisional matchups towards the end of a regular season for suspense and hype and to make the battles for divisional crowns more interesting. It makes sense on one hand, but also causes some annoyances on the other. But watcha gonna do really.

I can't really be against it though, because without it, we might not have gotten that amazing Steelers vs Ravens Christmas match last year. :P

It'd be one thing if this was just divisionals, but it's pretty much the top 6 teams in the NFC(I sincerely doubt the NFL thought that half of the teams playing this week would be half as good as they are) and then probably the biggest rivalry in the AFC.

It's probably the biggest week of the regular season.

Edited by Slumber

Just now, Slumber said:

It'd be one thing if this was just divisionals, but it's pretty much the top 6 teams in the NFC(I sincerely doubt the NFL thought that half of the teams playing this week would be half as good as they are) and then probably the biggest rivalry in the AFC.

Yeah, well, I'm still not really surprised. :P

Sigh...

A lot of people are saying now that even if he could still walk and run they'd be surprised if Shazier ever plays football again. What a fucking blow, man... He was one of the reasons our D got so good this season (before the injuries). I thought he could have a Troy Polamalu-like career the way he played.

I at least hope he can use his legs again.

I still think the Steelers have a slight edge with their offense and home field, but nothing is certain, yeah. Even if we win though, we still have your Patriots to worry about too. >_<

57 minutes ago, chococoke said:

Well, Mike Tomlin was talking about playing the Patriots in the AFC championship a few weeks ago. So it sure seems like he's already worried :p

Yeah, Tomlin does that. I think he looks ahead a bit too soon sometimes, but I understand why he'd feel that way about the Patriots. Even if we did lose the first seed to them, we're still practically already guaranteed to get in the playoffs, so going back to the AFC title game is a definite possibility. And nobody in the AFC really stands much of a chance against the Pats except us and maybe the Jags (I'd also say the Ravens since they have given the Pats a hard time in history, but the Pats still more often beat them).

Also, the Steelers got motivation to play their hearts out and their damndest with the Shazier situation.

Edited by Anacybele

3 hours ago, chococoke said:

Well, Mike Tomlin was talking about playing the Patriots in the AFC championship a few weeks ago. So it sure seems like he's already worried :p

i personally would love another playoff rematch

making it 5 ravens-pats games in the playoffs in 10 years would be something special...  especially since the last three were intense.

actually i'd say ravens-patriots is the best interdivisional rivalry in the nfl. Since 2007, the series is around 6-3 in favor of the Patriots, and only 3 were outside of one score.

Edited by Lord Raven

I never thought at 0-4, Chargers would have a shot at winning the division. But, here's how I think the AFC West will break down in the last 4 weeks.

Bold = Win

Chiefs: Raiders, Chargers, Dolphins,  at Broncos (8-8)

Chargers: Redskins, at Chiefs, at Jets, Raiders (10-6)

Raiders: at Chiefs, Cowboys, at Eagles, at Chargers (8-8)

Chargers win out and claim the division.

The most important game I think, would be the Raiders-Chiefs game. If the Chiefs win, then fight the Chargers, whoever wins the match-up of Chiefs vs Chargers controls their own destiny. 

I'm going to lose my mind if the Packers are the team to break the Browns perfect losing streak.

Also DAMMIT, a Vikings TD got overturned.

Edited by Slumber

Go Panthers! Snapping a winning streak as long as the one the Vikings had is damn impressive. Sorry, Slumber, but the Panthers are my second favorite team after the Steelers, so... :P

I realized the Steelers can clinch the North tonight! They blow that, that's pretty sad. They gotta do it not only to win the North again, but to keep up with the damn Patriots. Can't count on the Dolphins to beat them for us at all. :/