Article on journalistic bias

sandmanccl

I read a great article today by legendary author Orson Scott Card (of Ender's Game fame) about media bias that I thought I'd share with you guys. A few things you should know is that he's a rather outspoken Democrat in a religion that is predominantly conservative and therefore republican, so it's kind of surprising to hear him say a lot of what's in the article.

Here you go.

This article has appeared in the local Las Vegas newspaper too, so don't mind that it's the Mormon online magazine website.

And Obama is a Muslim and an Arab, right? And there's something wrong with that, right? AND HE PALS AROUND WITH TERRORISTS!

I'm interested to see exactly where this man gets his news from. I heard about most of this on what is by far the most left wing news network out there, MSNBC. They didn't try to hide it. That stuff Biden said? Heard about it on MSNBC.

I'll extrapolate more when I'm not about to sleep.

That's the reason I take news with a grain of salt. The problem is not the media's bias; it's the public's ignorance and complacency.

Anyone who blames an entire party for something is generalizing way too much. Regardless, pointing fingers won't solve problems. Ideally, parties should look for a solution to a crisis rather than a scapegoat.

And Obama is a Muslim and an Arab, right? And there's something wrong with that, right? AND HE PALS AROUND WITH TERRORISTS!
I don't see what that has to do with this article.

No one believes the muslim/arab thing. It also hasn't been mentioned on the news since the Democratic primaries.

Last I checked, the only time I've heard "pals around with terrorists" is when the media is trying to make fun of Sarah Palin.

I'm interested to see exactly where this man gets his news from. I heard about most of this on what is by far the most left wing news network out there, MSNBC. They didn't try to hide it. That stuff Biden said? Heard about it on MSNBC.

I'll extrapolate more when I'm not about to sleep.

There's a difference between hearing something once and hearing it 100 times over. The news networks didn't blow any of this stuff out of proportion like they have with Palin and McCain. They shoved it aside saying none of it was at all relevant and moved on with their merry little lives.

I believe Mr. Card is TRYING to say that the media should report without putting their personal opinion in it just to get viewers or support a party.

They should just give the news, not their opinions, thus why people think certain channels are liberal, and others are conservative. They should really just give the information instead of opinions as then they would get viewers from BOTH party supporters. Thus being a smarter business decision, AND helping the American people to not be ignorant towards one or the other candidate.

Edited by Cynthia

I don't see what that has to do with this article.

No one believes the muslim/arab thing. It also hasn't been mentioned on the news since the Democratic primaries.

Last I checked, the only time I've heard "pals around with terrorists" is when the media is trying to make fun of Sarah Palin.

There's a difference between hearing something once and hearing it 100 times over. The news networks didn't blow any of this stuff out of proportion like they have with Palin and McCain. They shoved it aside saying none of it was at all relevant and moved on with their merry little lives.

It's hard to explain... McCain ACCUSED OBAMA OF PALLING AROUND WITH TERRORISTS IN A DEBATE. People talk about it on the news as if it's a legitimate issue, which it isn't. People have lied about Obama (and they have been PROVEN to be lies) many times. It's not like he's getting it lightly. For example, MSNBC, which as I said before is probably the most left wing news station, repeatedly invites McCain supporters, Republicans, right wingers, anyone who wants to, to go on and talk. I've heard MANY arguments against Obama there.