What Weapons Should Fliers Wield?

Maybe pegasus knights could have a choice of which secondary weapon they want to pick up on promotion, like paladins can in Tellius iirc, and the choice either directs them to a different class ou affects their new class growths (5 or 10% more magic if you choose staves/tomes, for ex). They'd choose between swords, staves, tomes and bows so players can effectively recreate all the promoted pegasus classes that have been available so far. Wyverns could keep the axes (+ promoted lances) as their niche, it goes better with their stats anyway.

39 minutes ago, Kori said:

Maybe pegasus knights could have a choice of which secondary weapon they want to pick up on promotion, like paladins can in Tellius iirc, and the choice either directs them to a different class ou affects their new class growths (5 or 10% more magic if you choose staves/tomes, for ex). They'd choose between swords, staves, tomes and bows so players can effectively recreate all the promoted pegasus classes that have been available so far. Wyverns could keep the axes (+ promoted lances) as their niche, it goes better with their stats anyway.

Hell yeah, give me shuriken pegasus!

4 hours ago, Kori said:

Maybe pegasus knights could have a choice of which secondary weapon they want to pick up on promotion

Can we not just get this back in general. Just for more than just paladins. Like, if you want your Knight to have bows like it's FE 1 go ahead, If you want your Falcon Knight to have a knife, sure!. And best of all if you want your Bow Knight having tomes, why not.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Awakening branches, but the fact that both Dark Flyer and Falcon Knight were tied to characters and individually statted with bad to meh magic growths hurt the jobs. I set up Maribelle as a Dark Flier in my main Awakening file as her growths were good enough to support it properly.

I feel like the Wyverns could sub swords and lances with base axes. Having Malig Knight and Dark Flyer both in one game feels a bit redundant.

Maybe instead of Dark Flyer, it works like the Hoshido branches and you gain a bow on one option, whereas wyvern riders retain the malig knight option.

I would prefer Pegusi as the magical flyers and wyverns as the physical flyers, or vice-versa, though, keeping it a bit cleaner and allowing each a niche without overstepping other class's utilities.

My views for Peg knights are to keep it simple. Lances.  If you look at it from a functional view, Lances offer greater reach and unlike cavs, it's a little more difficult to fly alongside an opponent and swipe at them with a sword between wing beats. Bows and magic make better options for secondary weapons thought neither would be that good with Peg Knight's lower strength/magic. And for the few who mention Malig knights,  Wyverns and magic do not mix well IMO. I agree that Wyverns should use Axes, but, for me at least, Peg are for hit and run attacks and mage killing while Wyverns are for choke point clearing and generally brute forcing through line of defense.

That's my view in a nutshell.

Unless they're going to make some Peg knights who are worth giving staves to, make them go back to lances and swords for Falcon Knight. None of our potential Falcon Knights have had reliable magic stats for healing.

13 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Unless they're going to make some Peg knights who are worth giving staves to, make them go back to lances and swords for Falcon Knight. None of our potential Falcon Knights have had reliable magic stats for healing.

A reliable magic stat is not necessary for healing. Most of healing comes from the staff itself. The formula for Mend in Fates is (Users Magic/3+20). So a Falcon Knight with 10 magic will heal 23 HP and a Sage with 30 magic will heal 30 HP. That is not really a massive difference the way I see it. I've never trained a Falcon Knight who didn't prove to be a reliable healer. They obviously won't be as good as a pure magic user but they're good enough to keep units a live. And when it comes to Rescue Staff shenanigans they're downright superior due to flying utility. Now with that said, I'm not at all opposed to actually giving them some more magic, more is better of course, but I don't find their secondary trait to be completely unusable as things currently stand.

Edited by Jotari