Prop 8 passed.

TLSothe

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why ban gay marriage? I bet their reasons are stupid.

The only reason that could possibly be considered valid is because it's against some people's religion.

Edited by Fireman

The only reason that could possible be considered valid is because it's against some people's religion.

Religion and Politics should NEVER mix. Too many problems occur out of this.

This website is clearly biased, but it gives a very concise rundown of the justifications endorsed by at least some of the people who supported the amendment.

Some peoples' religious perspectives, as stated by Fireman, most probably played a notable role in influencing votes. This is a bit of a tricky issue because marriage is not strictly a religious or a legal institution.

I know that this isn't directly on topic, but I personally disliked the picture used in the linked to news article. I think it unlikely that the child in the picture understands the significance of the sign she's holding. Regardless of the position being supported. I consider that blatant extortion on behalf of her parents for the furthering of a political agenda, I believe her naivety is being exploited.

I'm not too worried about Prop. 8 YET--it goes directly against a Supreme Court decision made in May legalizing gay marriage, and there are already lawsuits challenging the proposition. There's still a chance it'll be knocked down like it should be.

Florida and Arizona's amendments, I'm not sure about because I don't know what the status of gay marriage was in those states.

I'm not too worried about Prop. 8 YET--it goes directly against a Supreme Court decision made in May legalizing gay marriage, and there are already lawsuits challenging the proposition. There's still a chance it'll be knocked down like it should be.

Florida and Arizona's amendments, I'm not sure about because I don't know what the status of gay marriage was in those states.

Connecticut and Massachusetts are now the only two states in the U.S that allow gay couples to marry.

As for Prop 8, I'm expecting to see it struck down fairly quick.

That still leaves 20 states undecided, on the "bright" side (assuming you're for gay marriage). 27 banned it before the elections, I believe, plus Florida & Arizona, and (for now) Cali. It's undecided in the remaining states, and most importantly, undecided at the federal level. I wonder if we can expect a Supreme Court ruling in the next few years.

Religion and Politics should NEVER mix. Too many problems occur out of this.

Try telling that to my parents. Separation of religion and law is unlearnable for them....

Try telling that to my parents. Separation of religion and law is unlearnable for them....

I think a religion is only meant to be for an individual to follow not for the entire world to follow because this is impossible.

When issue of morality arises then religion and politics should remain seperate.

There is no rational reason for Prop 8 and Amendment 2 to have even been proposed, much less passed.

This. They are the only props I voted on and I voted no on both. What really pisses me off is how much prop 2 won by. People just don't know what it really does.

I'm against gay marriage because of my religious views HOWEVER, as a human, I believe nobody should be deny to marry regardless of sexual preferences.

Religion needs to mind its own business and let God judge people, not us follows of religion.

Yep, basically said.

I'll add/rephrase a little here. Morals are subjective. What's right or wrong will change from person to person. Government in general is not based on morals, but on facts.

Murder is against the law, not because it's necessarily immoral, but because a society can't operate with people killing each other left and right. Etc.

On the other hand, the United States is a democracy...