Are you going to get FE:DS the day it comes out?

Fore

the point of this remake is to release it worldwide, taking advantage that Marth has become a popular character thanks to brawl. when people buy it because it has marth's face on it, they will be introduced to the fire emblem franchise (after all, many people have not even tried to play a fire emblem game) once this happens, fire emblem will be firmly established in this side of the world, meaning that future releases will sell well.

Yeah. No more annoying "IS MARTH IN THIS GAME!?" questions.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. No more annoying "IS MARTH IN THIS GAME!?" questions.

definitely. people can have their marth, and once they play the games, maybe they'll get the idea that there is more than one "fire emblem" (that question bugs me, too)

or the Marth looks like a chick

That's more annoying than what my friend said about Zelda

let me guess, he called link zelda right?

it's the way he said it that made it funny

Melee match

Friend: who you going to use

Me: someone *select Zelda*

F: that Zelda

M: yep

F: I thought she was a dude

M: WTF youre serious aren't you

it's the way he said it that made it funny

Melee match

Friend: who you going to use

Me: someone *select Zelda*

F: that Zelda

M: yep

F: I thought she was a dude

M: WTF youre serious aren't you

a sad story, but happens too often. i had to smack my cousin into oblivion for something remarkably similar to this

the point of this remake is to release it worldwide, taking advantage that Marth has become a popular character thanks to brawl. when people buy it because it has marth's face on it, they will be introduced to the fire emblem franchise (after all, many people have not even tried to play a fire emblem game) once this happens, fire emblem will be firmly established in this side of the world, meaning that future releases will sell well.

Because you know the Japanese care that much about foreigners playing their game.

You have better luck with Nintendo doing it for Nintendo rather than their special customers.

Because you know the Japanese care that much about foreigners playing their game.

You have better luck with Nintendo doing it for Nintendo rather than their special customers.

They should. We're a big part of their business.

They probably should. But they're Nintendo--individual and stubborn. And they do what they want to. The few times you actually see Nintendo cater to foreigners is when it came to the returning online era. They didn't have an issue with the Bandai Satellite. But for them, it was just a gimmick, and they were over it. Just as the NES had a microphone, the N64 the 64DD, and the GameCube the Link-Cable/broadband/LAN adapter.

And when it comes down to hit, Fire Emblem wasn't even known for Fire Emblem in other parts of the world. Most of the casual gamers wanted it after seeing two characters who were put in for the Japanese, not the Americans or Europeans for some grand plan of bringing the series over, trumpets and horns a blazing. It was scraps for others to feed on. Nintendo wasn't gambling on the game to come over--I don;t know what fanboys contrived that plan and for what reason (other than to feel special, I suppose--but people have to remember that few of these games are designed for use with foreign markets. There are specialized examples, such as China's handhled N64 machine or even in Fire Emblem's case, the inclusion of tutorials and Lyn's mode, but overall, most games you get, you're lucky NoA bothers to pick up the pieces. Nintendo isn't going to change their design if someone else wants something their way. It's not their style. No matter the size of their market-spenders. And when they do, they definitely won't give much try at it, as you can see by their current Wi-Fi set up, obviously complete crap compared to the other two main console systems. At least it's free though why is it that the larger markets complain so much when they're lucky they even receive business at all

well, considering that they WANT to continue making consoles, they should care about foreign market. if the people aren't satisfied with what Nintendo is offering, they will go buying other game systems, and Nintendo may become just like Sega, making games for other consoles.

also, it would be very, very retarded to overlook the foreign market, since there is TONS of profit to be gained in it. after all, japan is just one country, what about the rest of the world? Nintendo is a business, and as a business, the first and foremost priority of it is to gain as much money as it possibly can.

well, considering that they WANT to continue making consoles, they should care about foreign market. if the people aren't satisfied with what Nintendo is offering, they will go buying other game systems, and Nintendo may become just like Sega, making games for other consoles.

also, it would be very, very retarded to overlook the foreign market, since there is TONS of profit to be gained in it. after all, japan is just one country, what about the rest of the world? Nintendo is a business, and as a business, the first and foremost priority of it is to gain as much money as it possibly can.

*Claps

I'm speaking for the secluded franchise of Fire Emblem, which has been a stable of Nintendo of Japan for quite some time, just as Kirby seems to be over in America; synonymous. They can do business, but it is a Japanese product. Why would Nintendo drop their franchise for whatever some new fans wanted, ones who not only don't know the series, but can barely play the toned-down games they get at all?

They port Mario around and other games like there's no care, because that's an international product to Nintendo. But Fire Emblem and the new American and European fans--you have to understand, your opinion and wants really don't affect that specific franchise as much as some would think.

One thing you overlooked about the business: Nintendo, as I said, is traditional and individual. It is hardly a company that pigs its products in attempts at making as much profit as possible (see: Sony). Of course a business wants money. But Nintendo isn't striving for being the leader in profits. It's striving to make good games, as it does, in its own way.

I'm speaking for the secluded franchise of Fire Emblem, which has been a stable of Nintendo of Japan for quite some time, just as Kirby seems to be over in America; synonymous. They can do business, but it is a Japanese product. Why would Nintendo drop their franchise for whatever some new fans wanted, ones who not only don't know the series, but can barely play the toned-down games they get at all?

They port Mario around and other games like there's no care, because that's an international product to Nintendo. But Fire Emblem and the new American and European fans--you have to understand, your opinion and wants really don't affect that specific franchise as much as some would think.

One thing you overlooked about the business: Nintendo, as I said, is traditional and individual. It is hardly a company that pigs its products in attempts at making as much profit as possible (see: Sony). Of course a business wants money. But Nintendo isn't striving for being the leader in profits. It's striving to make good games, as it does, in its own way.

You are correct, Fire Emblem has been a rather obscure franchise in the worldwide market. however, it has the potential to be one of the greatest franchises that nintendo can offer. we can all assume that nintendo knows this, since they have people who dedicate themselves to know this type of information.

now, we can all see the time bomb that has been placed thanks to the Smash games. Just a prod in the right direction will cause the franchise to expand and become a highly popular franchise. why waste this perfect opportunity of making Fire emblem successful? just a few aesthetic changes could make the time bomb explode. and besides, by remaining fairly honest to the storyline and the gameplay mechanics, i believe most old fans would not really care about trivial things such as what a character is wearing, for example.

it would be the ABSOLUTE, BIGGEST, and MOST RETARDED mistake nintendo could make if it would only be remaking a game just to please a few people who even know what Fire Emblem is. I don't even think they are remaking it for the fans, if you ask me. I believe that they decided to remake the original Fire Emblem game BECAUSE of Marth's popularity. Everyone who has played Super Smash Bros Melee and Brawl knows who Marth is, and he is a highly popular character. Nintendo is taking advantage of this huge popularity to release the original game about Marth. People, knowing its about Marth, the awesome swordman who appears in Super Smash Bros., will naturally buy it over other titles.

if my hypothesis is correct (which i am more than certain it is), the game was remade exclusively for the foreign market. why else bother with remaking a game that the majority of the franchise's fanbase has already played or that knows what is going to happen in it?

nintendo may be traditional and individual, but i am absolutely ONE HUNDRED percent sure that they will not let this opportunity pass.

Hikari, you are one smart person.

Celice, I understand where you're coming from, and I think Hikari said it all, but I still want to say that it would always be a good idea to make games with the entire world in mind. Not cater to their wants, just make it knowing it will be there as well.

thank you Fox! :P

after all, Japan isn't the only country in the world. while they may try to keep the traditional aspects of the franchise, there is the rest of the world too, and they will undoubtedly try to please them also. they will end up finding a balance between the original game and what the current market demands, and all will be happy.

now all we can do is wait for the release

and besides, by remaining fairly honest to the storyline and the gameplay mechanics, i believe most old fans would not really care about trivial things such as what a character is wearing, for example.

Oh, we'll still complain. But that's just old people bantering--at the end of the day, we won't really care. It's just another Fire Emblem to enjoy ^^

it would be the ABSOLUTE, BIGGEST, and MOST RETARDED mistake nintendo could make if it would only be remaking a game just to please a few people who even know what Fire Emblem is. I don't even think they are remaking it for the fans, if you ask me.

As long as you're remembering to include the Japanese fans and common gamers alike, who have grown up with the series. And that they're the more likely audience.

I believe that they decided to remake the original Fire Emblem game BECAUSE of Marth's popularity. Everyone who has played Super Smash Bros Melee and Brawl knows who Marth is, and he is a highly popular character. Nintendo is taking advantage of this huge popularity to release the original game about Marth. People, knowing its about Marth, the awesome swordman who appears in Super Smash Bros., will naturally buy it over other titles.

I wouldn't call it the popularity. The reason for Marth and Roy to even be in Smash Bros. was to commerate the release of Fuuin (FE6). At the time, Roy was the newest Lord, and Marth, the oldest (this can be seen in Brawl with Ike and Roy again, although Marth seems like a character to remain forever, as he's the original Fire Emblem character, and Ike to be pushed out next time, like some other friendly characters). It's a little cameo that ended up in the U.S. and European doorstep after being translated.

As for the remake, I'd think it's more that IS wanted to get back into the feel of the original Fire Emblem and have a good ol' time. Face it: Monshou (FE3) was quite a lazy remake. Ankoku (FE1) was really a shoddy toss-in, it seemed (not to be a bad thing though). This is a more proper remake, akin to FFIV DS being an actual remake and the Wonderswan/GBA port just being prettified graphics. Smash Bros. just nudged some brains into thinking some people would like to see Marth again. I wouldn't call it a rampant field of players wanting the game :o Don't forget also that Nintendo released a Virtual Console version of Monshou and Seisen (FE4) already, which can also lead them into wanting to see Akanea again.

if my hypothesis is correct (which i am more than certain it is), the game was remade exclusively for the foreign market. why else bother with remaking a game that the majority of the franchise's fanbase has already played or that knows what is going to happen in it?

Which mine sorta shot this down, if looking at it through mine. But I can't see why it wouldn't come out along in the process, as Fire Emblem's pretty much been established as a worldwide franchise now, with four games of the ten games. But that's just it, though: it'll come around. We're still not the chosen market for Fire Emblem to thrive in, we're a source of income for another franchise.

nintendo may be traditional and individual, but i am absolutely ONE HUNDRED percent sure that they will not let this opportunity pass.

To summarize my view, they're doing it for the series, not for the fanboys and girls who want Marth and have played a game where he starred as a cameo.

and they will undoubtedly try to please them also. they will end up finding a balance between the original game and what the current market demands, and all will be happy.

All I'm saying is that IS is not heading this remake with the idea of making it a grand experience for the U.S. and European players. They doing it for the game.

Edited by Celice

I find it hard to believe they are remaking it because they want to get back to their roots. A lot of us on this board have said we would prefer a new game, wouldn't the japanese likely be the same? Marth's popularity in Smash Bros. from the world has definitely influenced this decision.

As long as you're remembering to include the Japanese fans and common gamers alike, who have grown up with the series. And that they're the more likely audience.
As for the remake, I'd think it's more that IS wanted to get back into the feel of the original Fire Emblem and have a good ol' time. Face it: Monshou (FE3) was quite a lazy remake. Ankoku (FE1) was really a shoddy toss-in, it seemed (not to be a bad thing though). This is a more proper remake, akin to FFIV DS being an actual remake and the Wonderswan/GBA port just being prettified graphics. Smash Bros. just nudged some brains into thinking some people would like to see Marth again. I wouldn't call it a rampant field of players wanting the game :o Don't forget also that Nintendo released a Virtual Console version of Monshou and Seisen (FE4) already, which can also lead them into wanting to see Akanea again.

its kinda funny that the counter-argument to this statement is in your answer. The game is already available on the Virtual Console for Japanese gamers. don't you think its a bit awkward that they would remake the game, if its technically already available for the Japanese fans? don't you think that it would have been more beneficial for the franchise to create a whole new game, instead of risking to lose sales? after all, Japanese gamers already know what to expect from this game, so they may not be as interested in replaying a game they already know everything about. after all, keeping players captivated with original storylines is the best way to keep fans looking for more.

personally, i would rather have an original adventure over one that i have already played. i'm sure i'm not the only one. Japanese people already have access to the game, so what's the point of remaking it? the money and work would be better spent creating a new storyline. Japanese have already embraced the franchise, so its pointless to remake it.

Which mine sorta shot this down, if looking at it through mine. But I can't see why it wouldn't come out along in the process, as Fire Emblem's pretty much been established as a worldwide franchise now, with four games of the ten games. But that's just it, though: it'll come around. We're still not the chosen market for Fire Emblem to thrive in, we're a source of income for another franchise.

i beg to differ. even though there is a worldwide fan base now, the franchise could do better. why just focus on a relatively small fan base (thats comparing it to the amount of gamers found worldwide) when they could expand the franchise and get new fans? remember, before anything else, Nintendo is a business. if it wasn't, they might as well just give the games away.

To summarize my view, they're doing it for the series, not for the fanboys and girls who want Marth and have played a game where he starred as a cameo.

i believe its for both, but the biggest reason is for "the fanboys and girls who want Marth."

All I'm saying is that IS is not heading this remake with the idea of making it a grand experience for the U.S. and European players. They doing it for the game.

why not make a new adventure, then? i believe this would serve the purpose better.

There's a simpler explanation for the remale: Its cheaper than a new game.

Even with the prettified graphics, updated gameplay, and some minor updates to the plot and character counts, its still FE1. Sure, its FE1 with a new suit, but they didn't have to remake the whole thing. Nintendo has been doing this ever since the Handheld systems started to match swords with the NES/SNES era games. Adding content to a pre-existing skeleton is easier that making a new one (kinda like taking a premade cake, icing it yourself to say "Happy Birthday Tim" instead of baking a cake, slaving in the kitchen for hours to the same result who would know).

Making a 30 dollar remake of FE1 (or 3, depending on what they are doing) to sell to Americans is more profitable than a 5 dollar remake on the VC which would also need translations. Part of why I figured the VC wouldn't give us any Japanese only games till after a run life of a remake for the DS.

There's a simpler explanation for the remale: Its cheaper than a new game.

Even with the prettified graphics, updated gameplay, and some minor updates to the plot and character counts, its still FE1. Sure, its FE1 with a new suit, but they didn't have to remake the whole thing. Nintendo has been doing this ever since the Handheld systems started to match swords with the NES/SNES era games. Adding content to a pre-existing skeleton is easier that making a new one (kinda like taking a premade cake, icing it yourself to say "Happy Birthday Tim" instead of baking a cake, slaving in the kitchen for hours to the same result who would know).

Making a 30 dollar remake of FE1 (or 3, depending on what they are doing) to sell to Americans is more profitable than a 5 dollar remake on the VC which would also need translations. Part of why I figured the VC wouldn't give us any Japanese only games till after a run life of a remake for the DS.

so, in other words, this is a cheap, quick, and safe way to develop a fanbase beyond Japan.

its kinda funny that the counter-argument to this statement is in your answer. The game is already available on the Virtual Console for Japanese gamers. don't you think its a bit awkward that they would remake the game, if its technically already available for the Japanese fans?

That's far from a counter-statement. They can grow up with the series. And play Ankoku, and play Monshou, and play Monshou again on VC, and play BS Fire Emblem for shits-'n'-giggles, but a proper remake is something players look forward to, moreso than a port of the same game. 'Sides, a remake gives more room for more modern developments, while the port is the same double-decade old game.

don't you think that it would have been more beneficial for the franchise to create a whole new game, instead of risking to lose sales? after all, Japanese gamers already know what to expect from this game, so they may not be as interested in replaying a game they already know everything about. after all, keeping players captivated with original storylines is the best way to keep fans looking for more.

Original and original can get tedious for the writers. Perhaps they want to take it easy, or at least, as I said, revisit their roots. Not to mention you're foregoing the chance that FE12 is in development and this is a side-project, similar to how Seima and Souen (FE8;9) were in their development.

personally, i would rather have an original adventure over one that i have already played. i'm sure i'm not the only one. Japanese people already have access to the game, so what's the point of remaking it? the money and work would be better spent creating a new storyline. Japanese have already embraced the franchise, so its pointless to remake it.

Because it is a proper modernization of the game. FFIII DS and FFIV DS are good examples of this as well-they're not low-budget ports. It's their old game in a new shell, original shell.

i beg to differ. even though there is a worldwide fan base now, the franchise could do better. why just focus on a relatively small fan base (thats comparing it to the amount of gamers found worldwide) when they could expand the franchise and get new fans? remember, before anything else, Nintendo is a business. if it wasn't, they might as well just give the games away.

You still don't understand the Nintendo-business thing. Yeah they're after profit, but they're going to turn belly-up if the high-ups don't like what players want. You seem to be applying a corporate stance on Nintendo--head on over to a major company for that kind of attitude.

Is it really such a bad thing if Nintendo doesn't want to cater their series to foreign markets, while still giving you tons of others? I'm sure you could give a damn less about Itadaki Street and their fans, and Enix developing their games. Same applies here to you guys and Fire Emblem. Also, Fire Emblem's hit four games worldwide, along with two cameos in absurdly-popular games--after this, how many new fans do you think need to see a new game every couple of years to get into the franchise? Of course they'll still get into it, but there's only so many players you have to introduce to the series.

why not make a new adventure, then? i believe this would serve the purpose better.

Because that's what they want, silly.

Are you mixing your definitions of port and remake together? Listen, a majority of titled "remakes" are ports with added bobbles for. This Fire Emblem is obviously not only that. To stab, your thoughts on being the same game. They're not saving much money by doing the game over again. Sure, you need less guys to put a plot together. But you still need to insert the data, code the data, draw the graphics, proof the game, set up publishing and advertising, and everything every other game goes through. There's no magic copy/paste between the systems. Especially considering, it's actually easier to write new code one the DS than attempt to port over some 6502 and mapper play, and then institute the new coding for leveling, promotions, Wi-Fi, and all assortments of other stuffs.

Why is this always about Nintendo and Fire Emblem being create specifically for America--c'mon, you guys aren't that special. Your a source of income; Marth and Roy were not a holy sign of a great series coming to you; and NoA still rapes the series by making the games easier and renaming what seems to be more and more of the script each time (although the former has gotten better since the last game, after completely removing the hardest difficulty and giving you an even easier setting).