Brawl nostalgia

Junkhead

I miss playing Brawl. Particularly, I use to have a lot of fun simply customizing my hacks (textures & music). I used to switch them up every week or so I hung out to play with friends.

I actually also legitimately always enjoyed Brawl as a competitive game... actually find myself randomly practicing tech skill, at times.

Such fun times.

when this came out i had been maining yoshi on n64 and then melee and we were all like toddlers and stupid as fuck so when my brother picked up brawl he was like "Claire yoshi is so op now he can roll in an egg" LMAO

1 minute ago, claire said:

when this came out i had been maining yoshi on n64 and then melee and we were all like toddlers and stupid as fuck so when my brother picked up brawl he was like "Claire yoshi is so op now he can roll in an egg" LMAO

HAHAHAHAHAAHwhat

This mod for Brawl is amazing:

It might be an unbalanced mess, but you get to play as so many frickin' characters.  You even get access to the likes of Lyn (Marth's moveset), Black Knight (Modded Ganon's moveset), and Tharja/Sothe (Zelda/Sheik moveset).  Also, Ganon gets a sword, and isn't entirely a rip-off of Captain Falcon.

Though I did have fun with the vanilla game as well.  I remember that Ike became a new favorite of mine.  Such a great addition, imo.  In fact, not too long ago I was invited to this party where they had Brawl as an option.  I didn't know most people, but I wound up doing pretty good and making enemies out of both my best friend and some of the others, to the point where they were wanting me to lose.

Also, me and one of the other better players squared off against two level 9 AI opponents (who were, annoyingly enough, Kirby and Jigglypuff) in a stock battle.  Ally was Marth, I was Ike.  Skip to about the end of the match, and my ally is down, Jigglybutt has 1 life, Kirby 2, and myself one.  I take Jiggly down, and it's just Kirby and I.  Probably had at least 30%+ damage before Kirb was knocked out the first time.  Kirb hands me my ass a bit, bringing me up to 70%+ damage.  Final Smash appears, Kirb almost gets it, but I snatch that damn thing and smash the shit out of Kirby with it.  Lots of screaming happened the moment I did that.  Bless you, Ike, for being such a tough to kill bastard.

Another thing I was fond of with this game was the stage creator.  Aside from some of our regular stage creations, I also made this one absolute abomination of a level.  It was... wait for it... literally just two adjacent floating treadmills going in opposite directions.  Think a much smaller Final Destination that keeps pushing you off the edge.  Almost makes me wish the amiibo were a thing at the time; I would've loved to see how the amiibo fighters reacted to it.  Regardless, that stage was another reason people hated me.

15 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Tharja/Sothe (Zelda/Sheik moveset)

Well that's one weird duet! Seriously Sothe is so no funny business and has enough issues with Tormod that Tharja would be hell for him, provided she bothered to bother him since she might not care.

17 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Another thing I was fond of with this game was the stage creator.  Aside from some of our regular stage creations, I also made this one absolute abomination of a level.  It was... wait for it... literally just two adjacent floating treadmills going in opposite directions. 

I remember seeing a couple neat stage ideas in an Nintendo Power issue, and I remember one or two cool random download stages when I had online. Ironically Smash 4 had the opposite problem from Brawl- Brawl has a hard time with curves if I remember the stage builder right, while making straight lines are a pain in Smash 4. I tried my hand at a couple original stages, but I forget how they turned out.

I followed Brawl through the Smash Dojo so heavily through the development, it was fun! if ruining any surprises for me. I recall fondly reading every new character and stage and item profile. Listening to every amazing music clip (I loved the Meta Knightmare remix, and even the Fire Emblem Theme rendition I'm not so big on now was great), and at the end looking at some interesting snapshot galleries that had been put together. Smash 4 I buried my head in the ground inasmuch as I could (not too much when you're on the Internet) and took a much more chilled, slightly embittered, approach. 

I wish Pokemon Trainer returned in some capacity, the fatigue mechanic was a little eh, but I liked having PT in the background. Charizard by itself might be better in gameplay, but a little dull since its just Charizard and Pikachu and the Jiggs is enough Gen 1 representation. PT was different since, while it was Gen 1, it represented the universal concept of a Pokemon Trainer. And if it came back, given they did all the Koopalings, I want a selection of PTs from across the Gens, Kris and Gen 2 Gold (I refuse to use "Ethan" and the Gen 2 version is a little older looking than the 4th gen remake's Ethan) being my favorites.

Ohh, how I remember the hype from 10 years ago. I remember checking the Dojo daily and was always excited to see the new info dump.

I kind of miss those days where I was newish to the internet, but I hated that time of my life

hard to believe of all things it's video games that are making me feel a little old

I actually missed Brawl entirely because we couldn't afford a Wii, then recently my brother found one at the DI for 5 bucks and promptly hacked that thing up(figuratively speaking of course) so I just started my Brawl experience. Burned through Subspace Emissary for the sole purpose of obtaining Wolf so I could main him without any real knowledge of his moveset other than 'he's a spacie' and love him. Tripping is retarded, though.

On 10/1/2018 at 1:27 AM, Mister IceTeaPeach said:

SSBB was a masterpiece mainly because of Subspace Emissary. I actually rebought it since SSB3DS disappointed me in multiple ways. However I mainly play it just for fun; not doing any tournaments. Still an outstanding game for me overall.

thank you

13 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

I always wondered how they made it worse in the newest game.

It doesn't even exist in the newest game! Well granted I only have the 3ds one.

30 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

It doesn't even exist in the newest game! Well granted I only have the 3ds one.

it's worse, all you can do is doodle on the gamepad and stick lava on it, and that's how you build a stage

1 hour ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I fucking loved the sub space emissary mode. Never could beat tabuu though 

I loved it too! I did beat Tabuu, but it took me a few tries.

2 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Those freaking off waves got me every time 

It's been so long I don't remember how I did it or how many times it took...kinda remember the music though.