Randoman's Philippines Trip Impressions

Randoman

I was actually really wanting to try balut at least once, during my trip (I wanted to see if the horror stories of it were justified or not. Plus, I'm rather adventurous when it comes to food). Sadly, I didn't get the chance to (from what I understand, it's generally a street vendor food, and you can't exactly look up locations of balut vendors online, from what I know).

My youngest brother actually did get to try out balut, though unintentionally. My family and I bought deep fried eggs as part of our lunch, and my youngest brother ended up getting balut in his (it was a deep red, fleshy balut, rather than the pinkish raw balut I usually see in photos). Since my youngest brother really didn't want to finish eating that egg, my dad ended up finishing it for him. In retrospect, I really should've volunteered to switch deep fried eggs with my youngest brother since that was the only opportunity I had to eat balut. I couldn't walk back to that same vendor either, since after buying food from that vendor, my family and I walked quite far to find a place to sit down and eat, and from what I recall, we had an appointment to make after we ate lunch that day.

On 2/3/2018 at 12:58 PM, Randoman said:

I was actually really wanting to try balut at least once, during my trip (I wanted to see if the horror stories of it were justified or not. Plus, I'm rather adventurous when it comes to food). Sadly, I didn't get the chance to (from what I understand, it's generally a street vendor food, and you can't exactly look up locations of balut vendors online, from what I know).

My youngest brother actually did get to try out balut, though unintentionally. My family and I bought deep fried eggs as part of our lunch, and my youngest brother ended up getting balut in his (it was a deep red, fleshy balut, rather than the pinkish raw balut I usually see in photos). Since my youngest brother really didn't want to finish eating that egg, my dad ended up finishing it for him. In retrospect, I really should've volunteered to switch deep fried eggs with my youngest brother since that was the only opportunity I had to eat balut. I couldn't walk back to that same vendor either, since after buying food from that vendor, my family and I walked quite far to find a place to sit down and eat, and from what I recall, we had an appointment to make after we ate lunch that day.

seriously, Balut is a hangover food you eat at like 5 in the morning when its still dark out.

you aren't meant to be eating it in the daytime while sober.

19 hours ago, Czarpy said:

seriously, Balut is a hangover food you eat at like 5 in the morning when its still dark out.

you aren't meant to be eating it in the daytime while sober.

I tried Balut, it looks weird at first but tastes good especially the liquid. ;)