Why does anime give girls big hips

Junkhead

Look at female characters in anime. Their hips are like twice the size of their waist, normally. Even the younger female characters that are supposed to look young and lacking in prominent sexual features still have a better ratio than some adult women. 

Just something I literally noticed right now, looking at Mia's depiction in FEH. 

7 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Because anime exaggerates sexual dimorphism. Males sometimes have huge abs and shoulders.

That's the word I was looking for. :] But, yeah, somewhat what I was going for.

Regarding male characters' shoulder ratio, while it is true even the skinny ones have a better ratio than a lot of real men adults, I don't think it's as exaggerated as the ones that are actually supposed to be "buff" (take Dragon Ball Characters, for example, I guess). Also, abs? Not really sure what you mean, unless you're referring to their overall core length or if they happen to have, say, a 10-pack or something.

I figured exaggerated sexual dymorphosm was a thing, and especially in art in general (?).

55 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Also, abs? Not really sure what you mean, unless you're referring to their overall core length or if they happen to have, say, a 10-pack or something.

Pretty much they have six packs or eight packs.

Just now, Soul~! said:

I don't see what you mean, then. Those are quite real...

I guess I should've said, the male characters tend to be ripped more often than real world guys. Not necessarily that the abs are bigger, just that they're more chiseled and noticeable I guess?

17 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I guess I should've said, the male characters tend to be ripped more often than real world guys. Not necessarily that the abs are bigger, just that they're more chiseled and noticeable I guess?

Not to pick again, but that's still quite possible. Not that you aren't correct...

12 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

It's sexy. Sex sells.

That's a dumb reason. You're assuming it's intentional.

7 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Of course its intentional.

You think they're doing that shit by accident???

Yes, I do. Hence why I said 

1 hour ago, Soul~! said:

Even the younger female characters that are supposed to look young and lacking in prominent sexual features

Ironically, they tend to mess up at times and give women with double D's a flat ass. The proportions don't add up. If you're going to sexualise characters, don't go have way.

It's easier to draw prominent gender features than it is to draw tame imperfections.

Edited by Soul~!

1 hour ago, Soul~! said:

Just something I literally noticed right now, looking at Mia's depiction in FEH. 

Mia's not that young.  I think she's about Ike's age, so late teens and post pubescent.

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Mia's not that young.  I think she's about Ike's age, so late teens and post pubescent.

FE9 Mia is that age, yeah. It's still a stretch from her original art. Even FE10 Mia looks decently modest (albeit, in shape). 

I still like her art. Her face looks goofy.

Just now, Nym said:

Usually those animes are the one of poor quality.

You're not wrong. 

That's why my girls are premium quality.

10 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Because they know you like it, duh.

I like Katarina, don't I. 

At least she's an adult. It makes sense.

I highly appreciate her hips. Her hips don't lie.

Edited by Soul~!