FE debating board added

VincentASM

I realise it took some time, but it's here now : o

As usual, please tell me if anything doesn't work correctly. I'll try and set up some regulations soon as well.

Also, would somebody like to compile a "standard rules" of debating?

Edited by VincentASM

It's a subforum of the General FE board. At least, it's supposed to be : P

Oh I thought there's going to be multiple debate boards on each of the FE game like FEFF and FEP. Didn't look but I finally see it.

I see it. Could it be your comp, or that you weren't looking there, Tashi?

Why are you calling me by that name...? It's 安室 奈美恵 <_<

I disagree with the last rule. Lords do indeed have advantages. And...? All units have advantages over each other. Why should this be any different? And they also have disadvantages (ex: set promotion).

The only problem I can see with debating lords applies only to the main lord, and it's seizing. You would probably need to make a rule that says that seizing can't count for or against a unit. Otherwise you get into an argument over what exactly is being argued rather than an argument about the units in question.

Like one side might say "X is the best unit in the game because he's needed to sieze. You can't even beat the chapter without him." Then the other might say "Seizing clears the map; it's not actually part of it. It's just like pressing start to begin the chapter." Or something like that.

Edited by Reikken

The action "seizing" itself warrants no advantages. You can't go "you need Roy/Leaf/Hector/Ike to seize or else you won't ever advantage"...after all, they can seize even if you are not using them as a regular combat unit, since they are autofielded. However, if you do not use them as regular combat units, you run around with underleveled pieces of trash, and seizing will become much, much harder than if you had trained them.

I don't think lords should be banned because of this per se, just that if you allow above argument, they pretty much count as top tiers. At least, I think Hector and Ike do. Leaf, Micaiah, Roy and friends are frail either way...but either way, it is very easy for them to pull this argument if they are in, say, Mid tier debates.

SolidSense wrote a lot of cool stuff about judging FE debates, and I wrote a huge guide for the FEP site about getting into debating.

Also, thanks for adding this board.

That's not the reason stated in the rule you wrote...

Anyway, almost every debate I've done is not about whether or not to use a unit. That's always up to the player's preference. It's about how useful a unit is.

Edited by Reikken

I don't know if this applies, but you may have to bring out a unit, but you don't have to use them in battle. For instance, you're forced to use Lyn a bit after her story, but I rarely ever Level her and I can get through the game, normally, fine.

Anyway, I think it might be better to move discussion about the debate rules to a new topic : P