Debating staff?

VincentASM

Me?! I'm quite surprised! I have no experience debating, and the most I'll say is occasionally pointing out who obviously wins when comparing characters (i.e. If someone said "Lol Dozla > Gerik", I'd say "No." Anyone would. >_>) I, sir, am no debator and am not fit to be a judge.

:blink:

Are you sure about that?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having played the game also lets you see holes in arguments. e.g. Someone may appear to have the better point, but from playing the game you know that there's a big hole in their logic.

Like I said, it's better if you have actually played the game, although it's not a requirement.

In other words, it's preferably that you have played the game, but if there aren't enough judges, it's also possible to judge without having played the game so that you can look at logic.

Also, something I'd like to point out as well, is the first and last post advantage. Especially the latter one, since the other debater has no chance to actually counter the points being made. I think the first and last posts should have less weight than the other four (or eight in a five post debate).

It's not like I really contribute anything, do I?

When I first was here (with the Titania topic, if you still remember that), I believe you did contribute stuff to the debates sometimes.

Eh, anyway, it's not my decision whether you want to judge or not :P

How about Fox?

She is always in debates...

Ha, you're joking right? No offense, but I'm one of the last people to be a debating judge. I hate the idea of debates in general, I think too lowly of tiers and too highly of archers. I suppose if that's the kind of person you guys want as a judge I would do it, but I doubt that.

The only debates I ever was serious about were Priscilla vs. Serra, which never really concluded, and Nailah vs. Naesala, which I technically "won," but not by a longshot.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Ha, you're joking right? No offense, but I'm one of the last people to be a debating judge. I hate the idea of debates in general, I think too lowly of tiers and too highly of archers. I suppose if that's the kind of person you guys want as a judge I would do it, but I doubt that.

No I wasn't joking. I see you alot in debates and you bring up very good points...but it's fine if you don't want to be a judge.

Having played the game also lets you see holes in arguments. e.g. Someone may appear to have the better point, but from playing the game you know that there's a big hole in their logic.

If the opponent doesn't point out the flaws in their logic, then the argument stands, more or less.

But this can be a problem if a post has to be left uncontested due to post restrictions, and new points are brought up in it.

Thinking highly of archers or something shouldn't matter since the judge's job is to look at the arguments, leaving their preconceived notions and opinions behind. If that's hard for you to do, then you would make a poor judge. But if it's not, and you have a strong grasp on logic and stuff, then you would be a good one.

Edited by Reikken

If the opponent doesn't point out the flaws in their logic, then the argument stands, more or less.

That kind of contradicts

...the judge's job is to look at the arguments

It's debatable, because on one hand the argument could be weak because of it's many holes, but on the other the opponent put up a weak fight because they didn't point out those flaws. It's one of the questions a judge'll face, I guess.

That kind of contradicts

I'm not seeing the contradiction.

It's debatable, because on one hand the argument could be weak because of it's many holes, but on the other the opponent put up a weak fight because they didn't point out those flaws. It's one of the questions a judge'll face, I guess.

If someone has a horribly flawed argument, but the opponent doesn't check them on it and is weak aside from that, then I would say that the dood with the flawed argument wins.

Ex:

d00d A: "Devdan's offense is better than Soren's because Devdan has more RES."

d00d B: "But Soren uses magic!"

d00d A wins

Edited by Reikken

I'm not seeing the contradiction.

If someone has a horribly flawed argument, but the opponent doesn't check them on it and is weak aside from that, then I would say that the dood with the flawed argument wins.

Ex:

d00d A: "Devdan's offense is better than Soren's because Devdan has more RES."

d00d B: "But Soren uses magic!"

d00d A wins

And if the argument is fine aside from that point, they could still win. It's not totally black and white.

ok, statement revision:

If someone has a horribly flawed argument, but the opponent doesn't contest it, and they're evenly matched aside from that, then I would say that the dood with the flawed argument wins.

Edited by Reikken

Anyway...

Well, maybe get all the people who are WILLING to judge, eh? Then we can go from their.

this

I'm willing,

Tino

ZXValaRevan

...who else?

I assume 安室 奈美恵, since there was no "no way, dun wanna be judge"

and Mekkah and Swordsalmon haven't posted

and how many judges do we want?