Triangle Attack Heroes?

Alpha Wolves

So.... out of mild curiosity about this - if they were to add Triangle Attack.... how do you think they would add it?
I'm thinking something like a Special with a 4-5 trigger countdown. If the attacker has 2 other Flying units adjacent to the target when they attack, they attack with an extra 150% power, but can only be inheritable on Swords, Axes, or Spears - to prevent ranged Triangle Attacks from occuring.

1 hour ago, Alpha Wolves said:

to prevent ranged Triangle Attacks from occuring.

As a side note, Oscar, Boyd, and Rolf could perform a bow triangle attack in PoR, so from a lore PoV, that doesn't have to be restricted. Balance is a different matter.

Anyway, do you mean 150% as in 3x damage or attack power prior to applying defense? One seems underwhelming and the other seems, well, holy crap, nothing would survive. Odin, the worst attacker in the game, barring Azama whom he beats by all of 1 and who is a support character, would be looking at 105 attack with no buffs, neutral attack, and his default Blarblade+. Fully res-stacked Henry would take 11 damage with WTA and his 73 res, 39 + 6 DD!A, 6 DD!S, 4 refine, 6 fortify, 8  2x ward, 2 summoner, 2 ally. Granted, TA reduces that to 0, and -atk reduces it to 2, but still, otherwise that's the single most defender-favoring matchup in the current game that I can think of right now. That said, just being able to kill stuff doesn't make it OP, since there's unit positioning, cooldown, etc., but holy crap could that be fun.

Maybe they could make it a C slot skill that checks if two others with the skill are present in angles to the unit around the foe? Went with C because it's sort of a support skill. It'd be true to the origin, but that'd probably just make it worse than basically any other C skill though since you'd either have to position exceedingly well or basically waste two units' turns and would only provide the buff in very specific circumstances instead of all the time for everyone in range. Then again, being better hypothetically that it ever is in practice would be very true to the triangle attack from the series proper :P

Unless they only very loosely pay homage to it with something like "if 2(or more/exactly?) allies within two spaces and both are fliers, unit gains +7 attack and speed when initiating combat" —obviously the phrasing would be more along the lines of the standard—or something to the same effect with a large special cooldown reduction, as a flier-specific skill (ignoring Oscar, Boyd, and Rolf because no one remembers that anyway), I can't see them ever implementing it. The triangle attack is impractical to pull off on the larger, longer maps of main FE games, and that would only get exacerbated by FEH's OHKO meta, making it pointless overkill, and compressed gameplay, making it even harder to reasonably pull off.

Edited by bottlegnomes

I have no problem with triangle attack almost being a guaranteed oneshot, it is impossibly difficult to set up in a reasonable way, and with a 4-5 cooldown, it would be quite niche, even if it was available to all units and only required one unit to have it equipped.

51 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

No, unless they're going to buff the Whitewings and give it to them and only them since there aren't any other Triangle Attack Units in the game so far.

Florina, Tana and Elincia would like to give their regards. They're just missing the other two sides of the triangle right now.

4 hours ago, Alpha Wolves said:

I'm thinking something like a Special with a 4-5 trigger countdown.

That high cooldown would make it practically useless. If it were to be a Special, then it should have 2 cooldown at most. Due to how much effort it takes to set it up, Triangle Attack as a skill needs to give an equally high reward to the player for doing so.

Currently, the best way to safely simulate Triangle Attack for the White Wings is to have Minerva and the sisters run something like the following:

Attacker 1
Firesweep L/Firesweep S, Moonbow
Life and Death, Seal Spd/Seal Def, Goad Fliers
Speed +3/Heavy Blade/Quickened Pulse

Attacker 2
Life and Death, Seal Spd/Seal Def/Cancel Affinity, Goad Fliers

Attacker 3
Life and Death, Cancel Affinity, Goad Fliers

Tanky Support Minerva
Lilith Floatie, Reposition, Sacred Cowl/Aegis
Distant Def/Fury, Chill Def/Chil Spd, Goad Fliers/Hone Fliers
Spur Atk/Threaten Def/Threaten Spd

Supporting Tank Minerva
Handbell [Spd/Def/Res]/Sac o' Gifts [Spd/Def/Res]/Melon Axe [Spd/Def/Res]/Hauteclere [Spd/Def/Res], Reposition, Sacred Cowl/Aegis
Distant Def/Fury, Dull Range/Guard, Goad Fliers/Hone Fliers
Iote's Shield/Distant Def

— — — — — — —

1. You want to arrange the formation so that you start Player Phase like this, preferably with the enemy being melee and without other enemies nearby:

[___][_E_][___]
[___][___][___]
[_1_][_M_][_2_]
[___][_3_][___]

2. Use Support/Tank to Reposition Attacker 3 to be between the Support/Tank and Enemy:

[___][_E_][___]
[___][_3_][___]
[_1_][_M_][_2_]
[___][___][___]

3. Use Attacker 1 to attack the enemy:

[_1_][_E_][___]
[___][_3_][___]
[___][_M_][_2_]
[___][___][___]

4. Use Attacker 2 to attack the enemy if the enemy is still alive:

[_1_][_E_][_2_]
[___][_3_][___]
[___][_M_][___]
[___][___][___]

5. Use Attacker 3 to attack the enemy if the enemy is still alive:

[_1_][_E_][_2_]
[___][_3_][___]
[___][_M_][___]
[___][___][___]

If the enemy is not dead yet, then you are pretty much screwed since they will have their Special ready by now after all those attacks.

14 hours ago, silverserpent said:

Florina, Tana and Elincia would like to give their regards. They're just missing the other two sides of the triangle right now.

My apologies, I misworded my statement - the Whitewings are the only full Triangle Attack right now, that's what I was trying to say.