The official Shanty Pete appreciation thread

3 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Every time I hear "Shanty Pete" I think he's a Spongebob character for some mysterious reason...

Nope, he's a legendary pirate who's exploits have reached so far they are known across different WORLDS.

let that sink in...

1 minute ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Nope, he's a legendary pirate who's exploits have reached so far they are known across different WORLDS.

let that sink in...

Yeah I think I remember pirates in PoR mentioning him.

He'd make a neat boss for sure! Idk about making him the lord of his own FE game, but having an actual appearance would be nice.

Does he even exists outside the English localizations...?

I know at least he's not mentioned in Shadow Dragon in some of the non-English texts, unlike in English...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Does he even exists outside the English localizations...?

I know at least he's not mentioned in Shadow Dragon in some of the non-English texts, unlike in English...

Anna makes a big deal about him in one of the Awakening supports (can't quite remember which one), but it's implied she's lying her ass off (apparently he likes to donate to orphanages or something). I'd take that to mean he likely exists in the Japanese version, unless they just did some arc welding by connecting several unrelated Pirate folk heroes.

10 minutes ago, ProfImpossible said:

Hark! I'm having trouble grasping the concept of one such as he, it is ever so vexing. Wouldst someone kindly elucidate me?

Shanty Pete, legendary captain of all the seas. Every buccaneer looks up to him and even hopes to have just a sliver of his greatness. 

He's greater than all the pirates of this time, Barth, Grieth, you name em, he's got em beat 

17 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Yeah I think I remember pirates in PoR mentioning him.

He'd make a neat boss for sure! Idk about making him the lord of his own FE game, but having an actual appearance would be nice.

Nope, main lord. Axe user like hector, get lances on promotion.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Anna makes a big deal about him in one of the Awakening supports (can't quite remember which one), but it's implied she's lying her ass off (apparently he likes to donate to orphanages or something). I'd take that to mean he likely exists in the Japanese version, unless they just did some arc welding by connecting several unrelated Pirate folk heroes.

It's her support with Tiki. I checked the Japanese one... and nope, no mention of him. In fact, all the charities stuff she mentions the gold she collected are for (she's lying about it, but that's an aside) isn't there either. She just mentions it's just for the army the gold.

So yeah... sounds more and more like an English localization invention...

You ever see a pirate us a lance? He should get swords. Or like Dark Magic, with the ability to summon skeleton pirate allies. Hell, even knives would be more piratey than lances.

So what's the plot then? Going around and pillaging? Recruiting people to the pirate army to RULE THE WORLD?

Sounds cool enough.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

It's her support with Tiki. I checked the Japanese one... and nope, no mention of him. In fact, all the charities stuff she mentions the gold she collected are for (she's lying about it, but that's an aside) isn't there either. She just mentions it's just for the army the gold.

He was also mentioned in Kellam and the avatars... B support I think, along with a couple ojters 

With the revelation that an ancient pirate nation exists in what is probably a small continent south of Archanea and Valentia, there are two distinct possibilities:
1) He was a famed leader of the pirate nation, perhaps even the one who spearheaded the war on Valentia.
2) He is the sea god they revered.

1 minute ago, Dragoncat said:

So what's the plot then? Going around and pillaging? Recruiting people to the pirate army to RULE THE WORLD?

Sounds cool enough.

The plot is that long ago way before the kingdom of Altea was founder, there was an empire that existed. This empire had long been oppressive to its people. The prince of the empire had enough of this, and sought outside help. He found a man named Pete. Despite Pete being a pirate, the prince begged for his help, to which he finally got him to agree after promising him a large amount of compensation.

thats what I got. Maybe you should help me write this?

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You ever see a pirate us a lance? He should get swords. Or like Dark Magic, with the ability to summon skeleton pirate allies. Hell, even knives would be more piratey than lances.

He gets the master knight treatment, he gets ALL weapons. With a skill that triples Wexp gain with insane growths in all stats.

cause hes Shanty Fucking Pete 

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

8 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Sounds cool enough.

Yah see, he's gotta become be king of the pirates. He's gotta collect his crew, he's gotta get a cook, a doctor, a navigator, a repairmen, a first mate, a gunner, and especially a musician, they're the most important. All this while sailing the dangerous "Grand line". Man, why isn't this a thing already?

14 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Huh, seems like he only exists in the English version. I'm a little disappointed as it means we'll never actually see Shanty Pete, but props to the localizers for making and maintaining their own little meme. Especially since it's pretty obscure and I think several different companies actually worked on the games.

14 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

The plot is that long ago way before the kingdom of Altea was founder, there was an empire that existed. This empire had long been oppressive to its people. The prince of the empire had enough of this, and sought outside help. He found a man named Pete. Despite Pete being a pirate, the prince begged for his help, to which he finally got him to agree after promising him a large amount of compensation.

thats what I got. Maybe you should help me write this?

Ooh! That would be great!

Make it a romhack and you've got a deal.

17 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

He was also mentioned in Kellam and the avatars... B support I think, along with a couple ojters 

Surprisingly, the old thread for translating the Japanese supports doesn't have that one. I found the relevant line:

嚼嚼…哎、哎呀? 
这喝的是什么时候? 
莫非是…卡拉姆さん? 
在附近吗? 

Not sure he's there either. Anyway, I just wanted to know. And it seems it's true he seems to be English only.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Huh, seems like he only exists in the English version. I'm a little disappointed as it means we'll never actually see Shanty Pete, but props to the localizers for making and maintaining their own little meme. Especially since it's pretty obscure and I think several different companies actually worked on the games.

Admitedly, it is a bit of a shame. Then again, pre-Awakening it was a little out of place, in my opinion, to have something seemingly shared in various continents with no apparent connection. But now, with the multiverse being a thing... it is a bit of a unifying factor of lore. Transdimensional pirate. Plundering the seven seas of every outrealm.

But yeah, being a localization only thing, and just of one at that, means we might not see him in any official capacity. Or who knows. I'm sure the source company using something from a localization ain't a new thing in this business... who knows...

14 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

With the revelation that an ancient pirate nation exists in what is probably a small continent south of Archanea and Valentia, there are two distinct possibilities:
1) He was a famed leader of the pirate nation, perhaps even the one who spearheaded the war on Valentia.
2) He is the sea god they revered.

According to the official timeline, the Pirate Nation was actually made up of the islands in between Valentia and Archanea, not on a continent. Probably like that one where you recruit Sumia's daughter in Awakening. It does suggest that the pirates went on to form Macedonia though. Yeah, Macedonia was made up of Flying Vikings. It's basically How to Train Your Dragon.