Detriot: Become Human

Corrobin

By all accounts, it seems like David Cage made his best game yet, and the premise covers up a lot of the typical awkwardness that comes with David Cage games.

Unfortunately, it still has David Cage writing, so it's still schlocky, dumb, and about as subtle as a rhino charging down the streets of New York.

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

By all accounts, it seems like David Cage made his best game yet, and the premise covers up a lot of the typical awkwardness that comes with David Cage games.

Unfortunately, it still has David Cage writing, so it's still schlocky, dumb, and about as subtle as a rhino charging down the streets of New York.

Pretty much my feelings on it as well. 

Though credit where credit is due, if that flowchart is really as extensive as people say it is QC did a good job handling C&C.

I played some of the beginning chapters at a friend's house since I had never played a David Cage game before and I can definitely see why it's caused such a buzz. It's a very unique game if nothing else. To my surprise I found myself rather engaged at times even when I was doing mundane things. Playing the piano was the best part to me personally, as a musician I thought it was really cool.

Though I still have not played very much of the game so I would take my opinions on the game with a grain of salt. Also I'd agree that the writing is very heavy handed and a little exhausting by the time I stopped playing.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

There's a bit in the early game where Connor (the detective android) has to interrogate a suspect, and you have to get the subject's stress to a certain level to get him to confess. 

The best way to get it there is essentially, to pressure him a lot first to raise it into that level, then play good cop/bad cop with yourself, switching between threats/pressure/rudeness and comfort/support/sympathy.

I can't tell if that's genius or super dumb.

1 hour ago, Corrobin said:

There's a bit in the early game where Connor (the detective android) has to interrogate a suspect, and you have to get the subject's stress to a certain level to get him to confess. 

The best way to get it there is essentially, to pressure him a lot first to raise it into that level, then play good cop/bad cop with yourself, switching between threats/pressure/rudeness and comfort/support/sympathy.

I can't tell if that's genius or super dumb.

I'm going to say dumb. 

It's an interrogation you'd see in a sitcom, where the interrogator is trying to convince the target that they're comedically crazy, while the scenario in Detroit is supposed to be played very seriously. 

Part of what makes David Cage games so unique and enjoyable despite being story and character driven games where nearly all the characters suck and all of the stories are borderline nonsense, is the utter lack of self-awareness(Ironically part of why Detroit actually kind of works relative to the rest of his games). Telltale games and one-offs like Until Dawn never take themselves as seriously as that, and that's why you'll probably find more people who unironically like those games.

That scene is prime David Cage-ness, and it's dumb as hell. 

Edited by Slumber

If nothing else, hearing about the game has clued me into his first game I believe, Omikron, and a rather bizarre early scene:

0e59ba6b00.png

What a guy.

Edited by Tryhard

9 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

What a guy.

And this is exactly why I stay away from the really artsy stuff and stick to more mass media. Vanilla, shallow, and unrefined it might be, of brain bleach I shall much less rarely need. Artists, in thinking out of the societal box and being creative, have their shining moments you'll always want to recall, and those that you'll never want to recall.