Character Montage "Protocols"

Junkhead

I made this sort of topic in reddit, too. It's basically a sort of "ruleset" in terms of character montages, as to what kind of protocols one would put on themselves to make it more appealing, as well as "valid". These are ones I tend to go for, myself:

Score ranges 700+ (if possible)

I'm finding the term "Tier 20" a little vague, since it ranges from anything to 700 all the way up to 750. The range is massive. However, it's safe to say you're meeting at least a fair amount of merged characters there, thereby upping the difficulty setting and giving them a bit more validity.

Preferably optimal opponents

Once had my CC-build Julius tank a Brave Lyn...only to realise said Lyn was neither horse-buffed and nor was she running a proper A-slot. She had Close Counter herself, of all things. So I decided to discard that one.

A preference towards colour disadvantage

How much cooler is it that you're character is not only standing up to, but also defeating characters at colour disadvantage? Doing so against defense tile opponents, even better.

Colour advantage may as well go out the window altogether.

Staying transparent with your viewers?

Some folk like to list their whole arsenal, including the character's full support team. This not only gives your viewers the whole idea behind your build, but it lets them know you've nothing to hide (something I've missed out).

Somewhat adding to the above; effeciency, minimalism and consistency

I don't feel characters should be discredited for requiring support to pull of certain feats, but I also feel there should be a sort of limit. Having CC Delthea with an Owl Tome, double S-supports, blessing and 9 Spurs is hardly what I'd consider optimal and realistically doable. I'm able to consistently stackup to around +10-15 Def/Res without it sacrificing the rest of my strategy and without getting in anyone's way.

Basically, think of things you would be able to pull off in a normal run, and not just for the sake of a good show. An example of this would be to avoid running extra support Seals where it would otherwise hinder other character's own performance.

What do you guys think of these?

Edited by Oz ♠

Do you mean videos where they focus on one or a few units that is just a series of battle screens where they beat up the enemy?

Since I see those videos more as a form of art to elicit certain emotions, usually awe, I do not think having guidelines is necessary since the audience can have a variety of tastes and preferences. Some people find buffing Close Counter Delthea and the like to be entertaining, so I would not say having loads of buffs is necessarily bad. Similarly, some players try to find the weakest enemy possible and try to outdo each other to deal the most damage possible in a single hit.

9 hours ago, XRay said:

Do you mean videos where they focus on one or a few units that is just a series of battle screens where they beat up the enemy?

Since I see those videos more as a form of art to elicit certain emotions, usually awe, I do not think having guidelines is necessary since the audience can have a variety of tastes and preferences. Some people find buffing Close Counter Delthea and the like to be entertaining, so I would not say having loads of buffs is necessarily bad. Similarly, some players try to find the weakest enemy possible and try to outdo each other to deal the most damage possible in a single hit.

That's what it would be, yes. But then there are times where I'd like to incorporate real scenarios where my character is actually taking on multiple rounds of combat and getting through. It's not always just charging up a special and getting it done (granted, I've been guilty of that). I would also disagree that I rig those kind of things heavily in my favour. Beyond actual buffs (which as a strategy game, are usually involved), I actually like to to find stronger enemies rather than weak ones. Otherwise, I feel like I'm fooling not only the audience, but myself.

It's a very fun hobby for me, as of late. I appreciate that people don't think of it as if it were rocket science.