CYL 2 FEH Channel Announced - Aug 20, 8:30 PM

Coolmanio

26 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And aren't all of them "Quick Burn Cannons" too? As in once injured, their offense drops precipitously? Although I get it kinda aligns with Valentian magic mechanics and Combat Arts, and I think most characters will find their alts playing at least somewhat similarly to their old selves.

Just my criticisms in bold, don't mean to start a raging argument or anything, I'm fine with tempered discussion though. Deleted any character I didn't want to or would not argue.

As for other characters I tend to like, Tethys, Gerik (stereotypical old mercenary, but I like him), Knoll, Duessel, and I guess Amelia (more than the other two trainees at least). I try to like Rennac and Syrene for some reasons, but I'm not sure how much I can.

The BK doesn't need that much use. Have him clear the way to climb the first couple of cliffs, and you can retire him for the rest of the match. 

In fairness, I don't actually like Dozla either because I do not like the Dwarf archetype at all. But he was absolutely memorable for reasons you yourself stated.

I didn't forget Minerva or Haar. I really like Haar and consider Minerva to be one of the few decent characters in Shadow Dragon - probably more interesting than Marth himself, though I do feel that Cormag's revenge arc makes him arguably more interesting than either. I was only trying to limit the number of claims I was making. 

Kyle is not interesting in isolation, I'll agree. He is interesting in his dynamic with Forde, who is a fountain of charisma and a highly underappreciated character. He makes for a good foil, and their rivalry and friendship are much more believable than say... Oscar and Kieran, or any other social knights. I could possibly see an argument for Mae and Boey being comparatively good social knights if one were to count them in the archetype despite being mages.

Even in your criticism of Joshua, there is a lot you mentioned there. A runaway prince with a gambling addiction, family issues, and a brief, but impactful revenge arc? That's a lot more than most characters get. He's almost like the love child of Raven and Makalov.

I actually like Rennac. Not sure why. Rare opinion, I know. It may just be that my inherent dislike of Dozla makes Rennac seem more interesting by comparison and L'Arachel's personality rubs off on him.

Syrene is a decent enough character and her romance with Gilliam adds character to both. Nothing special, but pegasus knights and generals are usually generic throwaway characters in the pre-Awakening games and Gilliam in particular stands out as one of the more likeable generals to me because of his mature, quiet personality. He's no Gatrie, but he doesn't have to be. 

Edited by Etheus

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Kyle is not interesting in isolation, I'll agree. He is interesting in his dynamic with Forde, who is a fountain of charisma and a highly underappreciated character. He makes for a good foil, and their rivalry and friendship are much more believable than say... Oscar and Kieran, or any other social knights. I could possibly see an argument for Mae and Boey being comparatively good social knights if one were to count them in the archetype despite being mages.

I actually like Rennac. Not sure why. Rare opinion, I know.

Syrene is a decent enough character and her romance with Gilliam adds character to both. Nothing special, but pegasus knights and generals are usually generic throwaway characters in the pre-Awakening games and Gilliam in particular stands out as one of the more likeable generals to me because of his mature, quiet personality. He's no Gatrie, but he doesn't have to be. 

Fair enough on the Kyle thing. As for Oscar and Kieran, I'm trying to see what you mean. Oscar doesn't willingly brush against Kieran as much as Forde does Kyle. Forde really likes being relaxed, whereas Oscar isn't so much against being Kieran's rival something only Kieran insists on, thus undermining the very existence of the rivalry. Trying to define the Oscar-Kieran rivalry as mercenary vs. knight doesn't work either, since Oscar doesn't truly prefer being a mercenary, he just left the Crimean Knights due to family concerns, and rejoins them after RD. Kieran's personality is also so much more over the top that it makes things seem comical. And in PoR it's totally possible to never realize the two are rivals, since the two don't start together (although I do like the Three Brothers dynamics we got in exchange).

Rennac, I think I try to like how down-to-earth he is compared to his two partners. He is a little sleazy and acerbic, but I guess I kind of sympathize with him? He had that bit of background in the L'Arachel B support which I liked. And he is the only playable Carcinoan in SS.

Marcia, Farina, and Tanith are all good characters to me (as is Elincia of course- but she is royal first, pegasus rider second), but you might have a point. My attempted liking of Syrene might be from gameplay pity- she comes so late and so subpar. I also want to like Misha and Juno, two of the older Pegasus Knights, but the former is from the lacking FE5, and FE6 isn't the best for character development either.

And since you spoke of Gatrie, he is a little humorous, but seriously speaking, I think he my least favorite of the playable Tellius Armor Knights as a character, other than the undeveloped Meg. Tauroneo has real depth, and Brom is decent, but Gatrie seems somewhat hollow.

29 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Fair enough on the Kyle thing. As for Oscar and Kieran, I'm trying to see what you mean. Oscar doesn't willingly brush against Kieran as much as Forde does Kyle. Forde really likes being relaxed, whereas Oscar isn't so much against being Kieran's rival something only Kieran insists on, thus undermining the very existence of the rivalry. Trying to define the Oscar-Kieran rivalry as mercenary vs. knight doesn't work either, since Oscar doesn't truly prefer being a mercenary, he just left the Crimean Knights due to family concerns, and rejoins them after RD. Kieran's personality is also so much more over the top that it makes things seem comical. And in PoR it's totally possible to never realize the two are rivals, since the two don't start together (although I do like the Three Brothers dynamics we got in exchange).

Rennac, I think I try to like how down-to-earth he is compared to his two partners. He is a little sleazy and acerbic, but I guess I kind of sympathize with him? He had that bit of background in the L'Arachel B support which I liked. And he is the only playable Carcinoan in SS.

Marcia, Farina, and Tanith are all good characters to me (as is Elincia of course- but she is royal first, pegasus rider second), but you might have a point. My attempted liking of Syrene might be from gameplay pity- she comes so late and so subpar. I also want to like Misha and Juno, two of the older Pegasus Knights, but the former is from the lacking FE5, and FE6 isn't the best for character development either.

And since you spoke of Gatrie, he is a little humorous, but seriously speaking, I think he my least favorite of the playable Tellius Armor Knights as a character, other than the undeveloped Meg. Tauroneo has real depth, and Brom is decent, but Gatrie seems somewhat hollow.

I wasn't directly comparing their dynamic to that of Oscar and Kieran, but rather saying that even Oscar and Kieran - one of the better "rivalries" in my eyes - still pales in comparison to the development given to Kyle and Forde. I personally think that the two are so good that they are worthy of being main lords in their own right (with Forde being as magnetic and expressive as Hector and Kyle being the more generic and serious, but well-meaning Eliwood). 

You may have hit the nail on the head as to why I like Rennac. But I do not consider acerbic personalities to be a flaw. I love them. I mean, my favorite character in the entire series is Bastian precisely because of how acerbic, witty, and flowery he is. I'm also a huge fan of Levin for the same reason.

I mentioned Gatrie because his surface level personality stands out, especially among the typically boring generals (and I prefer him to Brom). Tauroneo is a better character with a ton of depth, but on surface level, he's boring and thus isn't going to stand out especially strongly to a casual player. And we don't talk about Meg - the only unit I have ever intentionally killed off.

Edited by Etheus

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

(of which we only know of two)

There are like 10 of them, albeit long dead, at the bottom of the ruins and a few other, also long dead, ones loitering around the late game.

On 21/8/2018 at 7:43 PM, Ice Dragon said:

You're severely oversimplifying things there if all it takes to be "a slightly different Hardin" is to have a lance, Distant Counter, and Bold Fighter by default. Can you back up all of your comparisons?

Hardin's niche as a lance armor is the fact that he has viable mixed bulk, whereas Hector focuses on his offenses and physical bulk. Maltet's Slaying effect also allows Hector to run a Special skill with a higher cooldown than Hardin can.

Ephraim is very different from every unit currently existing due to how Garm and Special Fighter work together, allowing him to have a powerful player phase and enemy phase without sacrificing either one.

Celica is almost identical to Mia in terms of her stat distribution and can run all of Mia's builds, but can also be played completely differently due to her access to Royal Sword and Double Lion, allowing her to run a far more aggressive initial player phase.

Veronica's unique weapon is Peshkatz with a built-in Dazzling Staff refine. That's a very, very different niche than Elise and Maribelle. Veronica is literally the best dagger unit in the game right now that can also double as a staff unit if she ever needs to. Elise and Maribelle are not dagger units.

Basicaly, we are going to fight them with our current anti meta units. My red that can kill GrimaM and LHector should have no problem with Ephraim, my green who destroys Hardin should be able to deal with Hector, and so on.

They have their own stats and skills that make them not carbon copies, but they are not different enough from the current top tier units to interest me. If I already invested on Hardin, Ayra, LHector and Elise/Maribelle I see no reason to invest in the new units.

Finally ot Bravetor, +Atk/-Def is not perfect, but it probably should be fine. And thus I also took neutral Veronica, she looks great. Not particularly interested in Legendary banner atm (good for Marth, I am glad he got in already), so I will try get some food for Rein.