Which secondary characters in video games should have been the main character?

Fabulously Olivier

19 hours ago, Slumber said:

This one I've always argued with.

Basch and Balthier ARE the main characters of FFXII(And Ashe). Vaan's the perspective character for some scenes, but once Balthier hits the scene, Vaan's relegated to background gags with Penelo. Balthier, Basch and Ashe drive the plot and do most of the talking, and they're the ones with genuine ties to the main antagonists(Not that Reks dying doesn't tie him to Gabranth, but Gabranth largely brushes everything Vaan says off. It's not treated the same as Basch and Gabranth).

i get what you mean and i agree on that, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the same point of view from SquareEnix.

an example of that can be found in FF XII: Revenant Wings.

another example is the first Dissidia and its sequel/prequel 012: in both games it was always Vaan who got the main role in the story, with Gabranth playing the counter part. the only nod to Basch and Balthier was put in the alternative costumes, and that was all.

Balthier also made his appearence in FF Tactics: War of the Lions, but it was mostly a cameo rather than an important role to the story.

Edited by Fenreir

16 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Disgaea 5- Tbh Christo. In general Disgaea games usually satirize anime and videogame tropes but Killia was... exactly that. I feel like he was set up for that, but it didn't come off as funny. Christo does not really follow a trope, but he does have a compelling character and gain a lot of character development compared to the other cast members. I wish things were in his perspective sometimes.

Yeah Killia was depressingly normal for a Disgaea game. But Disgaea 5 as a whole kinda suffered from that. It was a very conventional story about stopping  very conventional villain with a DUMB name that would have been right at home in the much more serious Tales Series. 

3 hours ago, Fenreir said:

i get what you mean and i agree on that, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the same point of view from SquareEnix.

an example of that can be found in FF XII: Revenant Wings.

another example is the first Dissidia and its sequel/prequel 012: in both games it was always Vaan who got the main role in the story, with Gabranth playing the counter part. the only nod to Basch and Balthier was put in the alternative costumes, and that was all.

Balthier also made his appearence in FF Tactics: War of the Lions, but it was mostly a cameo rather than an important role to the story.

I mean, that's just how things go. Just because Vaan and Penelo were the main characters of RW doesn't mean they were the main characters of XII, and Vaan's appearances in spinoffs don't mean much. Gabranth represents the villain of FFXII in Dissidia, and he's like, the third most important villain in FFXII. He just happens to be the most recognizable.

For what it's worth, a sequel to FFXII that would have followed the developments in the story of XII more closely than RW was planned. It was a full console RPG, and it would have revolved around Basch and Ashe. Unfortunately it got cancelled because Square has a tendency of running out of money.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:21 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Yeah Killia was depressingly normal for a Disgaea game. But Disgaea 5 as a whole kinda suffered from that. It was a very conventional story about stopping  very conventional villain with a DUMB name that would have been right at home in the much more serious Tales Series. 

Yeah I hope D6 returns back to the series' comical roots as well as shake things up a bit. Maybe an angel protagonist instead? I would also like the to see them satirize the typical "harem" protagonist by making all of the "Love Interests" not interested in him at all.

Not so much the game proper per se, but I would have liked to see an alternate viewpoint novel or game option featuring either Naoto/Yosuke as the possible "Watson" role for Persona 4 (Golden). Ditto with Lilina and Binding Blade.

Not a straight example either, but also, either make P3's protagonist ambiguous, or allow the option of Minako as the canon protag for P4 Arena/Ultimax.

Edited by henrymidfields