Started Octopath Traveler

MisterIceTeaPeach

I started with this game and picked Ophilia's story.

I'm doing the first dungeon right now.

There are two things which are bothering me right now:

1. Random encounters

2. First boss

The first boss is a survival fight apparently because there was a remaining turncount shown in an advanced number of turn.

Since I have no good experiences with Final Fantasy and Bravely Default, but I still want to do this game just because of the story, I need a few tips.

I know Ophilia's guide command summons an ally, but I do not know exactly how to make the best use of it since I have only limited usage. I ran out of this command during the bossfight.

From what I've heared random encounters can't be removed. It's unfortunate, but I have no other choice than to deal with it somehow.

2 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

From what I've heared random encounters can't be removed. It's unfortunate, but I have no other choice than to deal with it somehow.

Get Cyrus, the Scholar job has the passive skill which decreases the encounter rate- Evasive Maneuver . I've used it plenty, it drops things by like 75%, very nice.

If you're ever looking to grind, never use a story dungeon, use one of the optional ones, which each of the 8 thematic areas seems to have one of per subregion. Those dungeons and the overworld between towns have a chance of spawning Siths. Use Soulstones of at least a Medium level to slay them with no luck involved, they give massive EXP, money, and JP. The strongest of the Sith, Chubby I think, require random multihit skills for the best chance of killing them, the stones aren't enough.

The first boss is definitely going to be long, given you only have one character. Things will ease up as you get a full team. Then venture into the Chapter 2-3 areas and find the Secondary Job shrines- symbolized on the minimap by columns without a roof over them. Everyone having a second job will make things much more flexible.

Also, I took advice that is best to pick 3-4 (one of which will have to be Ophilia until her 4th Chapter is finished since you chose her as your first character) characters you like to use. Swap out one of these four for whosever story it is when required. This way, you'll always have a strong core even if the character for the Chapter you're working on is underleveled. 

Time your breaks properly and use your BP when the enemy is stunned. There's not much to say about Ophilia's guiding other than to find a strong ally, and if you know what you'll be up against, one who can attack its weakness.

Encounters aren't random. Well, what you find is random, but when you find them is based on how many steps you take in a given area.

@Interdimensional Observer

Thanks for the tips!

14 hours ago, Florete said:

Encounters aren't random. Well, what you find is random, but when you find them is based on how many steps you take in a given area.

Ah, that means the number of encounters per dungeon is fixed, but just not the time?
That sounds fair.

I did the first boss in my third attempt with a defend and healing strategy.
For someone who is not really experienced with Square Enix's games, it felt like to get thrown in icecold water.

As I said before the story appeals me, so I have the motivation to playthrough this.
I just hope the difficulty won't rise as much as Bravely Default did to me which caused a ragequit.

2 minutes ago, Necrofantasia said:

Ah, that means the number of encounters per dungeon is fixed, but just not the time?
That sounds fair.

I wouldn't say that. You can just run in circles a lot to get more encounters.