The inevitable school festival

Thane

Hello chaps.

Whatever the religious or military traditions of the Officer's Academy, be they against or weirdly for a school festival, Byleth's rascals will hold a school festival and that's final. Even Seiros is like "dude, I'm not getting in the way of that; I can always flood the world later" when it comes to respecting the students' busy schedules and lofty festival ambitions.

So, what do you think this very anachronistic festival will be like? Personally, I'm expecting Edelgard to suffer the fate of the maid costume. I'm sure there's at least an option for that, provided you can choose the activity that your class will do. Naturally, just like in Trails of Cold Steel which is also set in a military academy, you'll be able to invite characters to various rooms for either shenanigans or flirting.

2 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

It'll get interrupted by outside forces so everyone will have to fight in their costumes.

That absolutely sounds like DLC.

I was thinking of making this thread, but my experience with schools in Japanese media is so slight that I would only have been able to suggest ideas ripped from Persona. I also would have posted this where it belonged, in Far From the Forest.  

"Yeah, we didn't have room in our class budget for anything beyond the maid outfits. 500 Gold each!, and the tailor was so creepy about it!"

48 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I was thinking of making this thread, but my experience with schools in Japanese media is so slight that I would only have been able to suggest ideas ripped from Persona. I also would have posted this where it belonged, in Far From the Forest.

I mean, this game already comes off as a belated cash-in on Persona 5's popularity, so...

57 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I mean, this game already comes off as a belated cash-in on Persona 5's popularity, so...

??? Not in particular, considering a school theme isn't just Persona. It's popular in Japan in general. 

Considering a common comparison is to Harry Potter or Yugioh GX instead I also don't think folks see it that way either.

9 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Were the art style not so similar, I would agree.

That just means it's got a similar artstyle.  It having a school setting with a similar srtsyle doesn't mean it's a "bleated cash-in of Persona 5's popularity". 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, yeah, a school festival is happening. Some kind of festival is happening at the very least and i don't think it'll be DLC like Awakening and Fates handled their festivals. Even if it's more medieval in it's design, it's too good of an opportunity for them to pass it up. Plus, as Thane said, costumes are likely which means said costumes will also make it into FEH so there's no reason for IS to not do this.

I personally wouldn't mind a school festival in this game as long as what's featured makes sense. So like, no maid cafes or whatever. 

Oh who am i kidding, that's totally gonna happen, isn't it?

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It having a school setting with a similar srtsyle doesn't mean it's a "bleated cash-in of Persona 5's popularity"

Gambits remind me of all out attacks, and Edelgard studying for the reclassing looked exactly like the mini cutscenes of Persona's daily activities, complete with a music note to indicate a good result. Those are minor things though, but I'm kind of reminded of Trails of Cold Steel myself, but we've not seen that much of the game yet though.

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So like, no maid cafes or whatever.

Oh you sweet summer child.

Here's an idea: a general festival that celebrates summer rain (or just rain). Since the Church is mentioned to have a lot of influnce, perhaps its a religious festival thank the Goddess for rain and plentiful harvests. Have everyone donate food and water and then go to see some sort of tasteful dance ceremony.

That's practically a given although something beach related is gonna also happen which will be whatever's the best place in Fódlan that's warm. If they do another vote thing(which is very likely) I hope my Avatar can talk to other characters I S Rank with and not just only the Top 2 winners especially since the winners so far is gonna be so predictable and a potential waste on the others...

If the school setting is just part of the first 1/4 of the game I don't see there being a lot of the cliche anime school stuff like a school festival, but if the school setting remains for most of the game yeah it's probably inevitable along with a lot of other cliche events and aspects. 

10 minutes ago, Enduin said:

If the school setting is just part of the first 1/4 of the game I don't see there being a lot of the cliche anime school stuff like a school festival, but if the school setting remains for most of the game yeah it's probably inevitable along with a lot of other cliche events and aspects. 

Well the Academy can still be use as the overall base despite whatever part in the story we're at especially to min max everything.

4 minutes ago, Guest Tobi said:

Well the Academy can still be use as the overall base despite whatever part in the story we're at especially to min max everything.

That entirely depends on how the story goes. Very good chance there will be a hard split with the Church which would make the Academy completely un-accessible since it is located at the very headquarters of the Church.

I expect some kind of festival to happen at some point in the game. Maybe they'll throw in a tournament to highlight the 'fantasy' element of the setting. If not a festival, I fully expect to see a beach scene at some point cause you know need to throw in the fanservice somehow

2 hours ago, Enduin said:

That entirely depends on how the story goes. Very good chance there will be a hard split with the Church which would make the Academy completely un-accessible since it is located at the very headquarters of the Church.

Seeing as they're making it seem very important in gameplay and optimizing characters. I don't think they would lock us out of it at least for too long unless its like a big 2 parter chapter where things hit the fan there but eventually things will settle down when all is said and done. 

4 minutes ago, Guest Tobi said:

Seeing as they're making it seem very important in gameplay and optimizing characters.

I'm somewhat skeptical this is the actual intention of the system they showed. Teaching/Tutoring mechanics seem focused on preparing Students to pass Class Certification Exams which look to have pretty specific Skill criteria in order to pass. That seems to run counter to the idea of optimizing characters and being able to free-form choose whatever skills you want them to have, especially after they've been promoted.

All the Students are starting out as a Trainee class, Nobles, where it's easy to justify and allow access to any weapon type, but once you promote to a real class that makes way less sense as does a lot of the Teacher mechanics. Thematically it would make a lot more sense for the Academy to be a first Act where we spend time teaching our students until they all "graduate" from Noble Class to a normal base class and after the the game departs from the Academy setting.

4 hours ago, PrincessAlyson said:

I'd hope that if the game does do something like a festival, it actually be well-thought out. Maybe some sort of seasonal celebration or religious festival???

The naive, optimistic part of me wants to say they would use a festival as a form of world building to inform on Fodlan's culture and history....

And every other part of me says "lolnope, it's going to be anachronistic anime highschool shenanigans". So, uh...a haunted house or a maid cafe.

Edited by NekoKnight

15 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

And every other part of me says "lolnope, it's going to be anachronistic anime highschool shenanigans". So, uh...a haunted house or a maid cafe.

I have to admit that I am not very optimistic that they'll use a festival for world building. I am expecting cliche fanservice nonsense. But keeping my fingers crossed that somehow they won't.

51 minutes ago, PrincessAlyson said:

I have to admit that I am not very optimistic that they'll use a festival for world building. I am expecting cliche fanservice nonsense. But keeping my fingers crossed that somehow they won't.

Uh...chill out?

1 hour ago, Enduin said:

I'm somewhat skeptical this is the actual intention of the system they showed. Teaching/Tutoring mechanics seem focused on preparing Students to pass Class Certification Exams which look to have pretty specific Skill criteria in order to pass. That seems to run counter to the idea of optimizing characters and being able to free-form choose whatever skills you want them to have, especially after they've been promoted.

All the Students are starting out as a Trainee class, Nobles, where it's easy to justify and allow access to any weapon type, but once you promote to a real class that makes way less sense as does a lot of the Teacher mechanics. Thematically it would make a lot more sense for the Academy to be a first Act where we spend time teaching our students until they all "graduate" from Noble Class to a normal base class and after the the game departs from the Academy setting.

There's still increasing support ranks, character interactions, buying items, reclassing and more to the feature we need to have a base to prepare for the road ahead which I'm sure this is going to be like MyCastle but actually in the games world and is important.

3 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

The naive, optimistic part of me wants to say they would use a festival as a form of world building to inform on Fodlan's culture and history....

I mean you haven’t had anything positive to say about anything Modern FE so I don’t think your former statement will please you even if it did happen. I mean we already have significantly more world building than Fates got already and you’re still whining about that shit.

8 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Were the art style not so similar, I would agree.

I’m not getting the similar vibe but I guess I can kind of see it.